Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DrgnKakashi

DrgnKakashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lol this answered my question what the official Starbound wiki was

2. Lexmechanic

Lexmechanic Void-Bound Voyager

There doesn't seem to be a central page to listing physics- or gravity-affected blocks. Can we get that going maybe on the Gravity page or a new one? It would be great to have that to reference to, for miners who want a little heads-up on which blocks to be careful around. Also, would we want to add those blocks to a category?

3. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

That's a great suggestion, at the very least we can make a category for them to have them a little easier to find.

4. Lexmechanic

Lexmechanic Void-Bound Voyager

The physical dimensions of objects (width & height) are included in their page source, but isn't actually displayed anywhere. Storage shows the width and height of each object, but Weapon Chest (as an example) doesn't display this info. Is there a way we could include that in the infobox? (I mentioned this briefly in another thread regarding crop seeds, before I realized it would have a wider application.)

5. UnCui

UnCui Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can anyone check if they can craft the "Red Giant orb" And the "Supergiant Orb" at the separator's table?, my character is a Hyotl, and can craft them, on the wiki it says, only Novakid can craft that.
    Thanks

6. Katzeus

I can see that as well (only using the manipulator's table). I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it seems there's isn't a race restriction on staff crafting -- I'll update the wiki pages. Thanks!

7. UnCui

UnCui Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's alright, I was also thinking of helping around the wiki, been playing starbound quite a lot recently, and I could help develop some of the pages, with more info, if that's ok.

8. Katzeus

Of course...its a community wiki!! Let me know if you have any questions

Dunto likes this.
  9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

For http://starbounder.org/Commands
    /coordinate no longer works.

/whereis playername

is now used in single player also - which does the same function.

10. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Im seeing an ad pop up whenever i use the starbounder wiki's search function on my samsung mobile.

What causes these intrusive ads to appear on the site?

11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

@Katzeus

12. Katzeus

There are some ads on the wiki to support costs, but there shouldn't be any popups that I'm aware of. Could you PM me a screenshot??

13. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

What is an ad pop-up? :rofl:

While Im here. Did you ever get that thingie set up to pull info for armors directly from the assets? They changed the power values on armors this time.

http://i.imgur.com/24H5v82.png

They upped the damage bonus on all armor parts by 100%

14. Katzeus

I actually did, but not for the armor pages themselves yet. I set it up to pull from assets for the set pages (where it would add up all the stats) and each armor piece. Doing so required basically rebuilding both templates from scratch, but they're waaaaay more efficient and will be automatically updated now. The main armor page should reflect the new values already as well since it queries those set pages. Updating the article armor template should be pretty easy since I've already done most of the work on the set pages...it's on my "pre-update to-do list".

The values are updated as of this past weekend, so the new values for power won't show till the next push.

15. lazarus78

Cool beans. Its good to know that such a system exists. Updating information like that would be a real pain. :rofl:

16. Dragonburger

Dragonburger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, so I probably should have asked questions here first, but I started a thread to try and gather info on the new weapon alt-click abilities and Dunto told me I should let the wiki bots handle the data mining that I should focus on organizing it.
    Where would I find info on the new weapon alt-click abilities? Also, should I just delete my thread for now? I apologize for just making it without asking questions first.

17. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I just didn't want you to spend too much time doing things already being automatically handled, your time is valuable. ;)

There's no reason to delete your thread, it raises valid questions about the current game data vs wiki data. There's no need to apologize, you didn't step on anyone's toes, anyone is welcome to help out with the wiki. I just wanted to give you a bit of a heads-up so you could spend your valuable time a bit more efficiently is all. :p

18. Dragonburger

Dragonburger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Should the two-handed gun types get their own pages, like the two-handed melee weapons do? Never-mind, they do, they just aren't linked in the weapons page. Should I link them?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  19. Stathol

Stathol Void-Bound Voyager

I have a number of years of experience with Linux administration, and I was thinking about writing an advanced Linux server setup guide that sets things up in a more "proper" way. The basic guide that exists on the wiki now is technically adequate, but like most such guides, it is a far cry from how one really ought to set up a dedicated background service in *NIX. Namely, I want to walk people through:
    • Setting up separate service accounts for each Steam-integrated game server on the computer (Starbound, of course, serving as the example)
    • Creating a shared installation point for SteamCMD so that your various service accounts can all access/update a common Steam instance with a single Steam Guard activation (assuming that a single Steam account is being used)
    • Daemonizing Starbound with a robust init script
    • Setting up cron jobs to automatically update the server (esp. for nightly servers) and backup the universe files.
    If this is something that people would find valuable, where would be the best place to work on it as a draft? I know I can I just create Guide:Whatever, but I'd rather not have people stumble onto it through the search bar until it's at least reasonably complete. Or at the very least, I'd like to make sure that it is very clear to people that it is an unfinished draft and they should not attempt to use it yet. A broken or half-done server setup is a Very Bad Thing(TM).

20. lazarus78

If you just want to draft, then notepad or Word would be the place. If you want to get feedback on it at the same time, then just post a thread in the server section. Put a header that it is still very much a WIP.