Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I agree with you, only problem is that if we use the game 'seeds' to generate a page for every planet in game they'll be 400 quadrillion pages on the wiki.

It's just not logistically feasible to generate planets for every seed. Plus, if I'm looking for an item I only need a few coordinates per sector to find it, not a million.

2. Katzeus

Sorry about the late response on this one. There's definately room for improvement on the front page design, we're working on it and have plans to roll out some changes over the next few weeks.

I agree the frontpage design on the Terraria wiki is really easy to navigate. We've kind of 'back-burnered' design for the past few weeks because data entry has been the priority. The game has been out about a month and a half, and getting everything in game moved over to the wiki has been a full time job. Now that content creation has settled down there will be more time to devote to design enhancements. Changes are coming soon, expect the 'look' of the wiki to be updated soon to be more functional. Thanks for the feedback!!

Icchan^ likes this.
  3. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

Ugh. I seem to have mistakenly made an unnecessary page. How do I delete it?

4. Katzeus

No worries. Enter {{delete}} anywhere into the page and it'll be flagged for removal.

dragonslug likes this.
  5. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

Ah terrific thank you. I did also want to point out something organizational. Not super important but... there is an inconsistency with page naming right now concerning blocks. Some are named as a type of block, Example --> Ash_Block, while others are simply named by what they are, Example --> Magmarock, Cobblestone rather than Magmarock_Block, or Cobblestone_Block. It would seem to me that it would be better for them to not have the block portion of the name, since the description will show that they are a block and also because that way onsite links don't have to have the page name and the text. You can just put [[Ash]] or [[Magmarock]]. Plus if someone is searching for a page they are more likely to type Sand, then to type Sand_Block.

If that seems reasonable to you, I would be willing to start the process of converting them all to one nomenclature system.

6. Katzeus

The naming of pages reflects what the blocks/items/object/etc are in game. I agree with you it would be easier to navigate if there were standard naming conventions, but I think it would be more difficult for people if they're looking for an item and it's called something other than the in game name.

I appreciate the suggestion, but the naming system is intentionally setup to reflect the game as closely as possible to alleviate confusion.

7. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

Oh my mistake. I did not realize it was called that way in-game. I was thinking it was being misnamed accidentally but if the naming convention is actually just poorly done in-game than I suppose that is not the wiki's fault.

8. SpeedXaaa

SpeedXaaa Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just a question, but I've only ever contributed to one other wiki and that is Bulbapedia...who are really strict about the amount of edits you make to one page or one part of a page a day (for instance, you want to add an extra detail you just thought of, minutes after your initial edit). If you do the aforementioned example, they'll call you out on it. Its annoying because honestly we are all just human...

Anyways, are you guys this strict about this type of thing? I'll contribute nonetheless but just wanted to know.

9. Katzeus

Not at all. The only 'restrictions' on editing are that you're required to be registered (because we were running into problems with spammers) and that deleting pages is reserved for mods and admin status. Other than that, it's wide open to edit as much/as often as you'd like!!

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

SpeedXaaa likes this.
  10. Jepton

Jepton Subatomic Cosmonaut

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. Dmitriy2014

Dmitriy2014 Space Hobo

when I go to the game gives me an error, what should I do?

12. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Katzeus likes this.
  13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I have a doubt - I actually want to move my reference pages \ tutorials online. Maintaining the E-book takes a bit of time and effort, which i am running short of.
    I was wondering if it was OK to move the pages to starbounder?

The pages I would be moving are contained in this book [ To be clear - not link the book - but the reference pages which describes what each item of the various asset files do ]
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...tarbound-unoffical-modding-e-book-v0-7.67821/

==

I didn't want to start moving it - without knowing if it was ok or not.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  14. Katzeus

This is fantastic work man! The wiki would be a great place for it, then the community can help maintain it.

There are a few namespaces that house specific types of info in the wiki, I'll give you the lowdown. Adding new pages to the space only requires adding the prefix before the name.

Modding: The modding namespace houses all discussion of how the structure of files and systems work. I think most of what you've writer would fit into this space, or be added as new pages under this space. It seems best suited for most of the info.

Data: I'm in the process of migrating the Asset Tree section in modding to a deticated namespace for file data. This will house file info for items and objects and serve as an "active resource" for modders to browse the directory structure. The plan is to then integrate this into the regular wiki pages as exampled here. I think some of the basic file type descriptions for assets may be better suited here, then linking back to more in-depth modding stuff in the modding namespace like "Checkout the Modding section for information about modding 'Materials'".

Guide: This namespace is for short guides covering one specific subject. I think splitting the book up a little rather than dumping it on the site as a guide would make it easier for people to use it. There's already a Modding basics guide another user made there, so that could be 'built out' too with some of your info, or make some new ones for tutorial stuff.

Ideally if the info is already on there I'd like not to have it all twice, everything is publically editable so don't feel like you can't change anything; if there's an article there and the book is written better, replace away.

I'll leave it up to you to decide how best to roll it out, but you should have everything you need to get this setup with a basic account. If you want to make a custom 'index template' or 'navbox' to tie the pages together I can help you get that setup too. Thanks for the consideration in asking about it and the interest in making the wiki more awesome! Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

15. The | Suit

Thanks will move it slowly - will take some time.
    Started with rewriting Basics - page.
    Your format method seems to be more then sufficient to properly manage the data.
    Ill post back if I need any help with any issues - most of it seems straight forward.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  16. The | Suit

I can't Disable Email Notifications.
    Please have Email notifications disabled by default.

17. Katzeus

Hmm, they're staying on after turning them off in Special:UpdateProfile/preferences? I did notice that they re-checked after I clicked update there, but the values correctly saved as cleared. I tried this on a test account just now and it seems to have disabled the notifications.

Not a bad suggestion about off by default. I'll see about that once I get in there and clean up that section a bit, the user settings area in general needs some beautification/management.

18. The | Suit

I believe the Nav Menu in
    http://starbounder.org/Modding:Modding_Basics

Could use a serious overhaul. Right now it feels completely random - especially the JSON objects section since there are hundreds of them, putting them in a single menu would make it pages long.

I think a more fluid Menu set would be
    • Installing Mods
    • Modding FAQ
    • Modding Basics
    • Data Assets
    • Guides
    These would be the most relevant items in modding - in order of importance

19. Katzeus

I wasn't the one who made that template, but I'll agree with that. I'll make those changes when I have the chance.

20. gedelgo

gedelgo Aquatic Astronaut