Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Bobbias

Bobbias Space Spelunker

I've been considering trying to put together a tool that would be able to automatically submit information about specific things (such as items) because manually editing things is rather slow and tedious. Still not much progress, and no guarantees anything will come of this, but it's something that's been on my mind for a few days now.

2. Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm I'm still not a huge fan of putting you tube vids up in the middle of an article. It's a wiki, except for explaining something complicated text should suffice. And I usually expect text when I check a wiki, If i want a youtube tutorial I just go to YouTube anyway.

3. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I'm in agreement there. Right now we're trying to keep youtube videos off the wiki (I removed about 40 new links this morning). There are two major reasons;
    1. I don't want the wiki to become a competition for video makers to get exposure. If someone places a video on a page then others will want to have their videos as well, who gets priority, yada yada. It gets messy fast, so for right now we're scrubbing any video links except those that are official or from the development team.
    2. More importantly, things are changing with the game so fast that videos make it much harder to 'review' infomation. If I go to an items page I can size up in 10 seconds if the info is current/out of date. With videos, reviewing info requires watching each one making information management MUCH more difficult. Until things settle down it's best to add the info in videos into the wiki as text.

We may have a more open policy in the future, this is subject to change. For right now though we're trying to keep it a youtube free as possible. If anyone sees any links it would be helpful to remove them!

Demetirus likes this.
  4. The lol

The lol Subatomic Cosmonaut

Link is broken, seems that the server is down or something

5. Katzeus

It's up for me, try reloading. We've been having some load issues with the server. We're working on getting it ironed out ASAP.

6. The lol

The lol Subatomic Cosmonaut

It works now thanks

7. chingkid

chingkid Void-Bound Voyager

i have got the beta of the game once the game fully comes out will it just be updated free of charge of am i going to have to pay again ?

8. Katzeus

That's not really wiki related, but access to the beta will grant you access to the full release when available at no charge.

9. chingkid

chingkid Void-Bound Voyager

oh sorry ;P could not find where it was

10. DementedDinos

DementedDinos Big Damn Hero

I encountered a problem. I can't launch the game properly. Every time I launch the game, it just gets stuck at the loading screen no matter which one I choose. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

11. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

While editing I noticed you cannot edit the first paragraph ("opening") of an item. Is this intended?

12. Katzeus

How are you trying to edit the page? Clicking either 'Edit' or 'Edit Source' tabs at the top?

13. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Damn it. I clicked the big blue edit button :/ . Well I need to get more wiki I suppose.

14. Katzeus

All good, those little buttons are for section edits, the top tabs should give you full page control. 'Edit source' should be the raw page data, and 'edit' is an edit form.

cyberspyXD likes this.
  15. Hiphoppapotamus

Hiphoppapotamus Space Hobo

Why can I not delete a character? D:

16. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

The wiki appears to be down at the moment. Trying to reach it presents me with a 404 error. Maintenance? Or is something wrong?

17. Katzeus

Hmm, it's not maintenance. I'll dig into it and see if I can determine the issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: About 2 mins after posting this it's back up. I'll see if I can't determine a cause, sorry about the outage!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Starhowl likes this.
  18. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I'm just happy to know that it was a temporary thing. Thank you.

19. Icchan^

Icchan^ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This might not be the most constructive comment out there. But I think that the current Starbounder wiki format is not a very good one. I would much prefer the style that http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki uses. It's clear, has everything you need form a wiki right under your fingertips and has a very nice layout without any clutter. The current one feels very claustrophobic in my mind since it's limited to a specific resolution side ways and doesn't fill the whole screen if I have the space available. Everything is in different places where you'd expect and somehow has more flash than function with all the graphical elements and theme used.

And I very much like how the front page of the Terraria wiki is a very good startpoint for everything one would clearly need to get started on a Terraria... current front page is not very well organized and one has to scroll down awful lot since it's not very wide if it ever has enough data to get a good start to the wiki.

20. Fluffclaw the Atheist

Fluffclaw the Atheist Intergalactic Tourist

The Planet Project seems to be a great idea however I feel your needs would be better served by a service on the Wiki that uses the latest planet generator to generate the planet in question and give in depth information on structures, monsters, and ore distribution instead of the limited information that contributers could offer.