Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Honor Shipping

Honor Shipping Big Damn Hero

Don't forget to install aviaries and not jail cells ;).

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

This all will, of course, require a game name change.... All hail the new Darkstar Valley!

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Make Stardew Great Again!

Stryder87 likes this.
        • Deadybears

Deadybears Aquatic Astronaut

I used to think I'd love Abigail but I can't stand her anymore.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahh, you're right. I trawled through and found it in his six heart event. He apologizes for being so arrogant about sports. I couldn't remember because I think I've only managed to catch it once. His events are good, but hard to just happen upon sometimes. I think it took me four years to get the one on the beach where he talks about his mom.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

gonna preclude this with my very harsh words being subbed for some great ones i picked up from @InquisitiveSoul. i could not articulate the intensity of my feelings without saying some bannable things but i also could not be wishy-washy with my reasons either so there ya' go;

shane.

that floogle is terrible every last single time i talk to him, he doesn't even stop drinking after you marry him(hell he doesn't even stop verbally trashing you and your choices and treating you poorly until either 4 or 5 hearts) and he's messing up poor jas who can't understand that he doesn't actually think about her unless someone else tells him to. if you did not actively babysit him he'd still be as much of a blonky person as he was before you arrived(and possibly dead). it doesn't matter that /eventually/ you guilt him into being a less horrible person after several instances of him doing blonkin' things to himself and others what matters is that he did not care enough about himself or others to try and be less blonk without being coerced into it. i get depression, i really and truly do but at the same time that is no excuse for being so self-centered that you can't even see how telling someone who loves you that you hope you can manage to kill yourself and to do so in front of a child would be a flarpin' bad idea. that and anyone who'd use depression and anxiety as an excuse to check out(and for sure it is an excuse with the way it's set up) earns whatever they get

of course he's not the only offender he is just by far the worst. i don't like maru's family either, she's the only one of them who(as far as i have seen) isn't a self-absorbed jerk. her dad is pushy and blonky to his son and makes creepy back-water hillbilly threats at you for being a casual friend to maru(not even trying to date her, just being something other than a complete stranger which is ridiculous especially if he and i are supposedly good enough friends that he wants to use my land for his experiments and to settle arguments with his wife), her brother is a prickly little brat and her mom is up her own butt with every third thing out of her mouth being about how awesome she is(and yeah it's cool you built your own house but frick, do you really need to keep banging on about it? my aunt built her house with her own hands out in the wilderness of alaska and yet somehow it doesn't seem to come up in conversations every week) not to mention she's got some messed up issues with poor linus treating him like a threat and a nuisance when the literal worst thing he has done is live on the land behind her house for longer than she's owned it. that family sucks and i feel a bit bad for maru for having it as her own.

lastly lewis and clint are both sexist losers. like, wtf guys? you know women are real human people with thoughts and feelings right? that they aren't just holes for plugging right?? that if you act like a cretin who has no respect for their agency that the fault is with you when the relationship doesn't go your way right???????? i stopped even trying to be friends with clint after my first run-through because i could not stomach all the nice-guy blonkery and i go out of my way to not be helpful to lewis because anyone who feels a perpetual booty-call is good enough for them without considering the wants and needs of person on the other end of the line isn't worth my time

frankly most of the people in pelican town suck though, it's like an index of all the ways someone can be self-serving and entitled(actually, /is/ the game just a commentary on the pitfalls of being unthinking of others?? now that i muse on it with the exception of like willy and vincent's dad, neither of whom i know well all the npcs are just some aspect of being wrapped up in one's own mental cocoon of ego-pandering.....)

if it helps or hurts i dunno but after marrying harvey he flirts with you by talking up the medical benefits of a back-rub

• Roskii Heiral

You make is sound as though Marnie doesn't have the agency or ability to leave lewis at any time and find someone else. Not sure if you realize how sexist that sounds to meX3.

If you ask me, she should talk to Marlon if she wants more options. He seems pretty interested.

sunlite likes this.
                • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

she seems like the sort of person who lets others do as they will without interfering from the dialogue and cutscenes she is part of. i doubt she'd actually leave lewis after all this time and while she at least tries to explain things to him she also isn't doing anything other than talk, with how mooney they act together and how important it seems to her to take care of things that dont have someone to mother them(her animals, her nephew, her neice and eventually you) i am not even sure it would be something she'd seriously consider. from the evidence provided she really doesn't seem like she is able to leave him. that isn't sexist, that is observation. if she had been a dude i would not change anything i said because it would still be true.

if you ask me though in multiple timelines she should talk to the farmer X''D unlike merlon(and lewis) the farmer isn't so likely to give her the runaround

-edit-
                  marlon also keeps asking the farmer to kill things which goes against marnie's loving nature. it's not a good match

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
                  • Roskii Heiral

I think marnie and marlon both understand that things need to be killed in an ecosystem. I don't think it prevents them from having a relationship.

Edit: to your other point, i don't think marlon would give her the runaround either. he strikes me as extremely loyal and honorable. especially since he takes care of the other gent in the adventurer's guild.

Edit 2: to your other other point. if she chooses not to leave, then she is equally responsible in the relationship w/ lewis. its interesting that you see lewis as the guilty party in their exchange.

sunlite likes this.
                    • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i did not say she wasn't equally responsible, i just see lewis as being selfish and taking advantage of someone who is too soft to stand up for themselves. marnie keeps compromising to make the relationship work but she does not manipulate lewis or try to guilt him with nonsense the way he does her. i dont feel either of them is absolved of guilt i just feel lewis really super sucks a lot and i dislike him enough to ignore him as much as possible, marnie only instills in me apathy.

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
                      • MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Clint really annoys me. I think everyone has covered the reasons why. Friggin "nice guy" types piss me off.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                        • Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

Demetrius. As stated above, he's weirdly possessive with Maru and expects you to lie to protect his behavior from her. I hate that the game rewards this choice as well. I really wish he and Seb could find some kind of connection as your friendship is increased with both of them.

Penny
                          . I can't quite put my finger on it, but she gives me an awful vibe.

Elliot
                          . Although I think his pretentious talk is rooted in insecurity, it does get old fast.

Pierre
                          . If his worry over profit were rooted in some scarcity in his past, that might be understandable, or if it were paired with socially-inept-but-charming logic a la Anya* from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it might be funny, or narratively justified.

* For those who may not know the reference, Anya was a demon who turned (back) into a human. Not knowing how best to live, she latched onto things that gave her security, and specifically the means to achieve those things: money. She's greedy, but not from a desire for wealth as much as fear of threats to her stability.

• EverGreen Ted

EverGreen Ted Tentacle Wrangler

I think that all the villagers have at least one personality or habit problem no matter how severe or mild.
                            I do however consider that most of them change themselves over the course of the game.

The few exceptions for me would be:

Clint - Just incompatible with the valley. Always acts mad towards everyone else for not noticing how great he is, even though in reality he is pityful.

Linus - I agreed with Robin at first, as long as he doesn't bother other people he can do whatever he wants. But after some time I got kind of tired of his "Look at me, I am different" vibe.
                            "I live in the wilderness but not really, I eat from the trash. And no you can't tell me it's wrong or I'll get mad." is but one example.
                            For me, he follows Clint's personality problem. Always complaining he is not part of the community when he can simply Step In.
                            If he or Clint expect a red carpet, then can as well leave.

Gus - For reasons already mentioned in this topic. Yes, he runs a business but that doesn't mean he is an alien to the community. He's a bartender, he knows more than the average individual, even said it himself. He holds money more dear than Pam and Shane, one of which is his friend.

Pierre - Similar to Gus, but more accute. He takes the path "Profit>family & friends" to a whole new level. I restored the community center but I avoided buying from him as much as I could before that happened.

Demetrius - Reasons already mentioned in this topic. Terrible parenting skills. You might expect more from such a smart guy, but he leaves to be desired.

*To a small extent:
                            Lewis & Marnie - No, Lewis, your almighty, iron fist leadership won't be undermined if you develop a relationship with somebody. They both act as drama queens about their issue even though it's normal.
                            I bet other villagers would even be happy for them. Except Marlon which eyes Marnie at the Flower Dance.

Everybody else seems fine to me, they are all usually very friendly even if you have to work a bit to lighten up the mood. (Shane and Sebastian)
                            In fact, I believe that Caroline and Emily are the most optimistic characters in the game, always catching people in their happy aura.

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Starbound Sailor Moon Industrial Terraformer

Wow, this thread was pretty interesting! I'm about to hit year four, have barely grazed the Skull Caverns, and I'm now working on character relationships a lot more since my farm is finally becoming self sufficient. In other words, idk everything yet so my opinions are subject to change. I think I'd like to address a few of the more talked about characters in this thread first though.

Jodi was the first subject of conversation that struck me as interesting, and honestly I relate to her greatly, but also don't. I had children young, married young, and while I don't have a problematic marriage, there are times you think "What if." and I struggled with that for years. I've felt it first hand many times that mothers are to suck it up and not talk about their regrets, and that's not healthy! I came to terms with it and am quite happy with it now, but it took time for me to realize "My family makes me stronger, and I can still do the things I always wanted to do." So, with such little dialogue, she is instantly the most relatable character for me in game. Now, where we greatly differ, is I never gave up on my interests. Like someone else said, she reminds me of those moms whose entire life becomes about being a mother, and that seems to be a part of her unhappiness, theoretically. Once you realize (despite what many older people tried to make me believe) you can be an individual, have interests that aren't your kids, and still be a good mom, your golden. Now with all that said, the PTSD husband & all the pressure being on her shoulders would certainly shift someone in the real world's focus away from hobbies and more about survival. Again, just theorizing here. I wish she had more screen time.

One of the most commonly disliked characters in this thread seems to be Shane. I understand addiction and depression pretty well, having gone through the former in my teenaged years and the latter for much longer. It's not something you overcome quickly. I like that eventually we get to see his character get better, even if it's too quick. It's a hopeful story, unlike Pam. And it makes sense he keeps some of his nasty attitude even after marriage, though I haven't personally seen that as I wasn't focused on wooing him. This is really one of those games I came into with a very bland perspective on all of the characters, because you get so much repeat dialogue, and I hadn't bothered to level many up because I was busy focusing on my farm start up. I even started noticing hints of depression with Leah, since she doesn't like to get out of bed some days.

I also think Pierre is an alright guy. He's a business man who does seem to be dependent on the community, and when we meet him it seems he had been going through a long session of trouble with Jojoa Mart. Clint is just feels bad man, lmao. He's a lonely teddy bear and I wish I could see him marry Emily.

Now people I don't like:
                              Pam. She's the alcoholic who won't recover and comes off as emotionally abusive towards Penny. We even see her become a bit of a Yoba (Bible) thumper when she gets a new house... and she still has a trashed yard. What looks like beer cans around her bed.
                              Demetrius, like so many others. I get the impression he completely ignores Sebastian, who appears to be a step son, while being controlling over Maru. I like Robin to a degree because I understand her hyper focus when she's working on something (like we see at the Ice Festival) but it's hard to say what is going on with how she feels about her kids and husband.
                              Maru & Caroline. They are pretty bland.
                              I want to like Penny but because I played for a long time without looking at Wikis or realizing there was a secret notes tab, she drove me nuts! She hated everything I gave her besides some foods. I gave up wooing her for even friendship until I realized there was a note tab. I love bookish girls.

And can I just say for my favorite: Elliot. He gives me coffee. He reads me poetry. He's a writer. He dresses with class (I appreciate a well kept man!) and he's just... the perfect trophy husband! Sadly he is being divorced so I can try out other routes. :< Our children To & Fro will never see it coming...

Edit: Oh & we should be able to marry Marnie. :p She's single, Lewis stinks, I'd rescue her. :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
                              • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

shane actually keeps drinking too. he has beer cans littering his room and he even goes out to drink after you are married to him(though only once a week instead of every night)

• Starbound Sailor Moon

That's just disappointing.~* :lod: At least he sounds like he gets some what better.

To add on Pam, I've also known someone who acts & even looks like her for years. There's def another personal connection to me disliking her. :scissors:

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, i can understand that. knowing someone like her is pretty much the only reason i gave her a chance(though i have put off upgrading her house specifically because of the yoba thing). i've known people who did shitty things because of an abusive relationship and a crappy life so her trying(even though she still fails) to fix her own life without being forced into it by someone else makes her just pityable instead of avoid-worthy....that and she likes those freakin' parsnips. i always have a LOT of non-gold parsnips to dole out my first year so she and the kids are always the first to max out on hearts X'''D

Starbound Sailor Moon likes this.
                                    • Starbound Sailor Moon

I didn't realize she had a parsnip thing. I friended her quick because she was easy but with... beer. Shane too, but I did switch to pizza on him. Bad... :kawaii:

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, i won't give alcohol to them, though i am an unrepentant teetotaler irl soooo yeah i don't like plying anyone with booze :rofl: but yeah, parsnips are a loved item for pam, atually all of my besties in the game are ones who like forage, quest and mining stuff

• Arlem

Arlem Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, so:

S E B A S T I A N .

It's unexplainable how much I'm repulsed by people like him. Way too negative, way too energy and soul sucking.. horrible. Wanting to be understood but never actually expressing yourself?????????? Makes no sense.

I didn't like Shane at first because of his rude behavior, nor I ever wanted to discover more about him, but as the events came one after another, I just had to think more about him and try to put myself in his shoes and understand his behavior and, damn, he quickly rose to the top 3.

Of the bachelorettes, I find Maru likeable the least.

Of other characters, I dislike Pierre because of his obsession with money (my dad is the same and it's the most horrible trait one could have), and that's it.