Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Honor Shipping

Honor Shipping Big Damn Hero

Who do I dislike..? Ehehe...​

In no particular order because it's a quarter after 2AM and I'm not in the mood for ranking the fictional personas that I hate the most...

(I'm just going to bold/italicize/underline the character names because this is probably gonna get lengthy, a bit personal, and probably likely to trigger a bunch of people, so feel free to just read the names and move on if you don't do want to deal with all the other crap down there. Ain't gonna hurt my feelings, and I can't kill you through the screen as far as I know.

Let's start with Alex. Oh Alex, how I would just LOVE to shove your football up your- Yeeeah I don't think I can use that word here. :p You literally stand for everything that has done me wrong and everything I hate. Yeah I don't really wanna talk about my issues with stereotypical sporty people, of which I have encountered numerous, so MOVING ON~

Next is Haley. I don't *hate* Haley, per say, but I feel like she has that "Like, oh my gosh, I can't believe he, like, did that" personality about her. And that's SUPER obnoxious. I'm all for Starbucks and all that, but still (Yeah, Starbucks is pretty good... I went to McDonald's for the first time in YEARS the other night though and their iced coffee wasn't that bad. It wasn't great, but it definitely wasn't bad)...

Uh, next is Shane. I'm about to get so much hate for this, I can smell it. They're just waiting for me to press enter so they can start typing away. Little flame ninjas waiting for the perfect opportunity...
    Anyways, The whole "Town Drunkard" thing put me off. I don't care why, but there's no excuse for becoming an alcoholic. Going on the reasons on the post above, I have Long-term depression (dysthymia), social anxiety, and a multitude of other issues, many of which are mental and inhibit my ability to talk to people about things, and alcoholism is NOT a cry for help. That's using your depression and whatnot as an EXCUSE and that's NOT OKAY, let alone kind of offensive to those of us who have this problem and don't suffer from such life choices. Not everyone who has depression or similar circumstances makes awful decisions.

Anyways, and I didn't intend to get to that level in this post (but I felt that needed to be said), next up is Robin. I don't totally hate her, in fact it's mostly the opposite, but the way she doesn't do anything to help Sebastian with his relationship with Demetrius really, REALLY bothers me. I can relate to Sebastian on such a personal level that it's scary (both the depression/anxiety and the "it's work" thing with his computer), with the difference being both my parents being like Demetrius, and the fact that Robin doesn't do anything actually upsets me.

And I think you could see where I was going with that, but for those poor, clueless souls, I'll announce it anyways, in a really REALLY obnoxious way, just for you.

[insert fanfare]

Herald: MAKE WAY FOR THE NEXT ON THE LIST OF DISLIKED FICTIONAL CHARACTERS FOR WHOM THE COMMENTATOR'S DISLIKE HAS NO IMPACT ON THEIR FICTIONAL LIVES!

[Enter an unnamed man, clearly a scientist, with a GOD AWFUL "I WANNA KILL YOU AND THROW YOU OFF A CLIFF INTO A VOLCANO" type of vibe about him. It's hard to imagine how he managed to be a father.]

Me: Yeah, you suck. Get out. This is my castle, you can't have it.
    I'm taking your stepson, too. You can't have him, either.

[insert fanfare but in reverse note order and in a minor key, opposite to whatever key you imagined it played in the first time. It'll sound GREAT, trust me.]

Yeah, for those of you who still didn't understand, that unnamed man was Demetrius. He sucks, Robin should divorce him, and he shouldn't get custody of either of them. Not sure how that works out legally, but that volcano would be soundin' pretty nice by the time they find out that's not possible, if it isn't possible. Overprotective of Maru and utterly awful to Sebastian, he'd KILL my farmer when he finds out me and Sebastian are totally gay for each other. There really needs to be a "Secret marriage" option for cases like these. He's gonna freaking ruin the wedding, and if he messed with my wedding dress we're gonna have ISSUES. And yes, I said "totally gay" and "wedding dress". Take that as you will ;). Seriously though I've been putting off our marriage because I don't wanna be in the middle of the cut scene and Demetrius starts some drama and ruins my wedding.

Next is, uh... Oh yeah. Clint. I don't like how he doesn't just go up to what's-her-face, Emily I'm assuming from reading other posts (No clue who that is though since I basically regularly interact with like only Pierre, Sebastian, Robin, Clint, and whoever the museum dude is. Pam too I guess because of the bus...), and tell her he likes her and get it over with. I'M NOT THE MESSENGER. MESSENGERS HAVE A HABIT OF GETTING SHOT. I DON'T WANT TO BE ANY HOLIER THAN I ALREADY AM (Pun intended :)).

Yeah, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head, but it's like 10-til 3AM and I don't wanna think too hard.

EDIT: Accidentally posted this before I was done. Not even sure how that happened.

EDIT #2: Apparently I didn't finish bolding/italicizing/underlining all the names, so I did that. Also fixed some grammar issues because I noticed them and they bothered me. Not sure how it took me like an entire day to figure this out, but better late then never(?), I suppose...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
      AliCat likes this.
    • Moonfall

Moonfall Poptop Tamer

Haha, Clint's plan actually backfired. He wanted me to give Emily a gem and say it was from him. She apparently interpreted this as "from Clint" to mean "I bought this from Clint's shop." So now she probably likes me better than him.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Haha... I remember the first time I did that little side-quest. When she said (something like) "I don't care where you got it..." I was all "No No No.. you don't understand!!" And then facepalmed....
        Good times! haha

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

I can't really say I hate any of the characters (you know, aside from Morris, but he's kind of a given), but there are some that I don't really like as much as I like the others.

Harvey's pretty much the stand-out one for me. Don't get me wrong, I know Harvey's a pretty decent character. Maybe it's just bad luck on my end, though, but very few conversations I've had with him have ever been anything aside from the same old medical advice he gives you any time, even on my second file, where I'm up to (I believe) seven hearts at this point. And like most, the line about sunscreen at the Luau kind of made me raise an eyebrow, though I choose to believe that it's genuine concern rather than him being creepy, even if it might read that way. It's mostly just that he kind of doesn't really interest me as a character in the slightest.

After reading this thread, I suppose I've kind of started to respect Demitrius a lot less, though. He was the first person I befriended in my first playthrough, and I unfortunately didn't focus on friendships a whole lot, so I never really got to see his issues with Sebastian. However, now that I've learnt more about that relationship, I don't really like Demitrius that much.

Then there are Caroline and Jodi. Honestly, most of the time, I forget these two exist. They've just never really grabbed my attention all that well, and I don't really know why.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
            Seismothesaurus likes this.
          • Stryder87

It took me a long time before I kinda noticed that... ummm... Jodi is kinda... *blush*... pretty.
            Then Kent came home. Doh!

• cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel Void-Bound Voyager

Everyone sucks except Krobus.

Zosa and ChaosAzeroth like this.
              • Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

I have to agree, actually, she kind of is, and from what I've seen of her, I get the feeling that she could be a very likable character.

• Stryder87

She is most definitely a hard working homemaker. Maybe a little too... intense sometimes, but she means well (as seen from the egg-drop incident).

"Gone are the days when girls used to cook like their mothers. Now they drink like their fathers."

• danndeline

danndeline Space Hobo

Abigail, because, as someone already posted, she dislikes something if it isn’t edgy.

Shane, because he’s really nasty.

Alex also apologizes to you for his behavior.

• FinalMasterM

FinalMasterM Space Hobo

Clint.

The most weird character for me is Shane. You go through the whole process of healing and getting together with him, but in doing so (and going for the best ending) you basically terminate his job and his room in your house is littered with beer cans.

• Honor Shipping

She likes the Egg Festival, though....

• smileykitkat

smileykitkat Void-Bound Voyager

Haley is quite ungrateful, so I gave her a horseradish and have no regrets.

• Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

My most disliked character is Morris, for obvious reasons.
                            On second place, there's Mister Qi. He's creepy.

• Stryder87

Gonna have to agree with you on that one. He's got that whole "I'm watching you all the time" Santa Clause thing going on... ick

• Possibly

Possibly Void-Bound Voyager

None I hate, but a few I dislike.

Pierre.. He's a little TOO fixated on money. Even if he's doing it for his family, he's missing his family while fixated on money. And him co-opting my completion of the community center.. Ya, I just have a problem for types fixated on money.

Linus.. has problems. And I don't just mean him dressing in leaves. He keeps telling me people don't like him but I've never seen it.
                                In his cut scene, Gus gives him food. At the Luau people are focused more on how good the roast smells then saying the guy cooking it should get away from them. I think he just believes no one likes him. But mental illness is not uncommon among the homeless. :/

Haley.. She's superficial. Ok, eventually she picks up photography and seems less stuck up. However while pictures can be art, certainly, but they can also be superficial be it selfies or a pretty flower, or a pretty bird. Bleh.

Alex.. he's one of my lowest villagers. Taking in the view while staring at Haley at the flower dance? And otherwise being sexist? Not gonna start.

Emily.. she's a magical pixie girl. Her first two cut scenes don't even interact with me. One's declaring me special (so she'd have no interest if I wasn't?) and the other's for the birds.. eh. Not feeling it.

Kel.. he's supposed to be a jerk ex for Leah though. So that fits.

Meanwhile, in defense of one villager..

Abigail is probably who I'm going to marry. Yes, she has purple hair, but I prefer Emily's blue. Some say she only likes edgy stuff, but not sure how edgy video games are nowadays, or flutes. And she's interested in what life would be like living on the farm (and wonders how she'd ever find out *hint hint*). She's taking classes online to improve herself, and she one of two only villagers I know of that are brave enough to even try the mine (Linus is the other). Abigail strikes me as someone who knows what she wants, be it conventional or unconventional, and goes for it.

*edit* I can grammar

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
                                  Seismothesaurus likes this.
                                • Rukifellth

Rukifellth Orbital Explorer

I just recently started playing, my favorite is Morris, he seems to genuinely love his job- something I refuse to fault him for.

Least favorite- the topic at hand- has to be the Lowly wal-mart employee, Shane was it? I just don't like him. he's kinda a wiener.

• Stryder87

Reading through all the comments I'm quite surprised at how passionately some people feel towards certain characters, either for or against.

Quite the testament to CA's way of presenting the NPCs since there really isn't a LOT of dialogue or actions to form our opinions and feelings
                                    on.

Good stuff!! :drinkinggentcat:

• Honor Shipping

The cashiers are the worst. They don't even hold actual conversations with me...

Side note, your profile picture of Gaius made my day. I rarely meet people online who like Rune Factory, let alone know what it even is, outside of its GameFAQs community...

Rukifellth and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                      • Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I'll bet they rub each other the right way though. Oooooh, that was really naughty. But hey just how did his underwear get in her bedroom? I don't mind Marnie, she loves animals so she's ok in my book. Lewis is kind of jerk. He doesn't really care about Pelican Town, only about making money. I would love to see an election for Mayor where the farmer could run for office. That might be fun.

• Stryder87

New Content!! YOU get to run for and be mayor!! Hire the witch to be the new sheriff and hex any pesky villager who annoys you; set up gladiator battles in the quarry and let Krobus and Dwarf fight it out. Charge admission which goes toward buying off the Governor for concessions to get Joja Mart to build a strip mall which will bring in more tax money to line your pockets!

Zosa and ChaosAzeroth like this.