Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Not disagreeing/telling you who to like or dislike but wanted to clarify something. Kent canonically has PTSD, it's not just as simple as he made some choices he regrets and his mind is occupied with his thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I don't like Kent as well. He has a trauma yes, but I don't support war or the way he treats his family afterwards. But that's just my opinion.

Dougyhowzer and ChaosAzeroth like this.
      • Dougyhowzer

Dougyhowzer Space Spelunker

From a canonical view, I too would agree with you . Yes he does have PTSD , but at the same time , was he forced into into combat or did he make that choice ?
        If he made that choice then he probably does regret it . again though this is just my opinion.

• ChaosAzeroth

I just brought that up because the way it was presented downplays his whole situation IMHO. PTDS is a lot stronger than just regret. I felt like it was a slightly unfair assessment.

That being said, again not telling you who to like or dislike. People with depression and PTSD can be very hard to like sometimes, definitely not the easiest to deal with and mess things up especially with interpersonal relations

• Dougyhowzer

Dougyhowzer Space Spelunker

From looking at my post , I simply made my dislike of him based on observation and conversation. I don't see how I made an unfair assessment,
            It's possible that I don't articulate my reasons enough as to why I dislike him.
            In regards to PTSD and Depression, I am well aware of the effects , but I would prefer not to take discuss my opinion any further because I believe it is starting
            to take the focus off the original goal of this thread.

• ChaosAzeroth

I meant the wording not yourself, as I'm not going to assume intent.
              That being said fair enough.

Anymore I've fund myself disliking the candidates for no other reason than RNG hasn't been kind to me and having this much bad luck is too much like real life for me, and so is not only saddening/destroying some of the point to play games it's also boring to have such predictably bad luck.

• CartonCruncher

CartonCruncher Void-Bound Voyager

If you become friends with Shane he'll open up to you, and be way nicer. I really liked Shane's arc (if you really want to become friends with him hot peppers are the way to go.) My least favorite character has to be Pierre, he's just always so obsessed with his shop. I initially disliked Clint, but started sympathizing with his trouble with women, bc I used to be timid like that. Plus I learned that his father made him become a blacksmith, which is kind of sad.

Dougyhowzer and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

One thing I've noticed with this thread is people tend to dislike whoever has characteristics they themselves dislike. A lot of people dislike Pierre because he's so obsessed with money/his work, Shane because he's so nasty initially, Clint because he comes across as thoroughly depressed...

I can justify most of the actions of each of them - Pierre feels very threatened by Joja, Shane feels completely trapped with his life, as does Clint. Come to think of it, the character is a lot like Shane in that he was trapped by a job he hated...only the player had an out, the farm. Shane doesn't have that so he lashes out.

Dougyhowzer and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                  • InquisitiveSoul

InquisitiveSoul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In a way, I can find points of relation to virtually every single character in the game. Either by behaving like them at various points of my life or having prolonged exposure to people with eerily similar personality traits and psychological issues. While I can't say I outright hate any of the characters, there are two.. well, three, in particular that flicks a pretty strong negative reaction switch in me.

Demetrius. This guy.. This blonkin' guy. He has a SOOPAR protective stance over Maru, which I can sorta-kinda get. That's not what bakes my 'tater though. It's how he seems to have no intention of building any kind of relationship with Sebastian and his lack of interest in anything but his profession and Maru's safety/purity tends to incense me. While he might not be a bad man, he certainly isn't a warm or nurturing one either. Given that his world revolves around logic, facts and sound reasoning, he may very well be a brilliant scientist and powerful thinker.. but he is a terrible family man.

Robin. This woman.. This floogin' woman. I get she's trying to do her best and has taken a very active stance with her profession. But to me it comes across as she is putting her job before the well-being of her offspring, While she isn't exactly as cold as Demetrius, she nevertheless acts as an enabler to his behavior and really does very little to break the cycle of treating Sebastian as though he is an orphan in his own family. Part of me wonders if she isn't using her job role as an escape from a marriage/situation that is inherently unhappy.

Penny. This girl.. This flarpin' girl. Yes, yes, yes... I fully realize being raised in less-than-ideal conditions by an addict parent can lead to strange results. But her demure, sweet-n-innocent approach instantly sets off klaxon alarms in my head. I have no problem saying admire the fact that she wants to be a positive influence in kids lives, but growing up in that level of a broken home tends to create more than a few triggers and some of them aren't easily noodled out. As it stands, she comes across to me as aching for a white-knight kind of man to deliver her from the trailer-dungeon of drunken negativity and give her a new home where she can show off how good of a wife she can be and live happily ever after.

LordBlumiere likes this.
                    • ScarletAurora

ScarletAurora Poptop Tamer

I'm yet to know better a lot of characters but there's a few that I simply don't feel like even talking to.
                      That would be Robin, Demetrius, Maru, Haley, Penny, Pierre, Sam, Marnie, Lewis. Quite a lot, actually. Some I even forget they exist, like Caroline.
                      They just seem disinteresting to me.
                      There are some that I initially dislike, but in a way that actually made me curious about them, to see whats behind their first impressions, like Alex and Sebastian.
                      There are others I dislike, like Abigail. She's kinda irritating.
                      Actually I think it would be easier to list the ones I do like or at least find interesting... I think it's because I'm very selective of the people I find interesting in real life and this reflects on the game. There are some kinds of people that I don't hate but I just don't feel interested in talking or getting close to.
                      But sometimes there's a character I didn't care for at first but if I start befriending them I find out a little more depth about them and it's interesting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
                      • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Soooooooo..... what do you think about that Jojamart checkout girl? hehehe

• ScarletAurora

I always wanted to know more about her!! Who IS she? Where does she live? Is she happy?

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

The guess is that she's related to Morris somehow, since if you shut down JojaMart she disappears. (Basing this on that you can't interact with her in any way outside of "buy stuff") I suspect she's about as happy as Shane is there - that is, not at all. Would be nice if you could rescue her, I'm sure someone could give her a room!

• ScarletAurora

I think she's the only character that appear in the village that doesn't live in the village itself, isn't she? Well, she and Morris. But she doesn't even have a name. Yeah, for some reason everytime I see her I always think she's uncredibly unhappy there. There's a hint of despair in her eyes. Or I'm just projecting. Yeah, it would be nice if you could rescue her, if after JojaMart shuts down she comes to live in the village or something.

Dougyhowzer likes this.
                              • Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I've never been fond of Haley, she's just vain and shallow. I really wanted to like Elliot because he's a writer and that intellectual type appeals to me. But he really is nearly as vain as Haley especially when he talks about his hair, I'm so glad I didn't continue pursuing him as husband material. I really haven't had much dealing with Gus, I rarely go to the Saloon. Pam is nice but has a problem with alcohol and is quite lazy making Penny do all the work around the house. Demetrius seemed very nice at first, but he got kind of strange when I became friends with Maru. He stopped short of warning me not to do anything that would distract her from her path that HE obviously had chosen for her, kinda spooky. Plus he treats Robin like she's dumb and that gets under my skin. I'm not too fond of The Wizard, he just can't come out and say what he means or wants he has to make it all mysterious. I only deal with him to do his quests.

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Because I needed to find someone to marry I went out of my way to get to know all the marriageable characters. Most of the others have so much baggage that you have to trudge through just to get to the friendship level of marriage that it was a trial. Harvey was fairly easy to please. Give him wine, his favorite thing in the world and he will follow you anywhere. When he invited me on a hot air balloon I knew I was in, he said early on he's terrified of heights so doing this proves how much he cares. It only took a couple more days to get the mermaid pendant and he accepted it and the wedding was beautiful. He stays out of my way, mostly, makes me breakfast occasionally and is completely loyal to me. We now have 2 kids, Jack and Jill, and life is good.

• missnavi

missnavi Void-Bound Voyager

Shane - I just don't see what people like in him. I romanced him and everything, wondering if he'd get better but no - still annoying as heck.

Robin - there is something about her that's just dry and uninteresting to me.

Penny - I rarely ever interact with her and when I do it's not memorable...

Alex - he was OK at first but got boring after a while. I was hoping for a better social experience overall with everyone to be honest, but I feel like after you get the maximum hearts with a villager you're pretty much done.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

While I don't dislike Penny, I don't care for her much either, I think she's by far the most bland of the marriageable candidates.

Shane is the only one I hate, even though I know he has quite a few fans. I don't care much for Sebastian - another popular one - but that's because I dislike his "emo attitude".

• Nefenji

Nefenji 2.7182818284590...

So who here hates Emily? I read through all six pages, and only saw one mention of her, and they didn't elaborate. Curious if anyone actually hates her. Saw a few messages about her "being special" but I feel those don't really apply, considering the world of Stardew Valley. We have ACTUAL magic. Living, breathing aliens, shadow people, ghosts, witches, sea monsters, numerous intelligent species from fantasy outside of humans, and sci-fi stuff, like a young girl creating a sentient machine that's high tech enough to just nope on out at escape velocity like it's going for a picnick to leave the planet at will and go explore the universe, *deep breath* etc.

All real things in the SD universe. Emily's morning crystal farm meditation is nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure in SD, those crystals really do have energy that interacts with the body. Practicing crystal healing in SD, is probably as common as karate here in our world, lol. Even her "odd" comments like the plants being her friends, well, Linus seems to be a druid of some type, and talks about winter being lonely, because the trees are sleeping. I'm sure in SD, they really are communical entities. I mean, we have forest spirits we the player can interact with. (Junimos)

I can't seem to find anything to dislike about her. Almost all the characters have a downside, so what's Emily's? If it was irl, it'd be because she's that "Weird crystal mystic chick who meditates n' stuff."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
                                          Zosa and Seismothesaurus like this.
                                        • ARE1994

ARE1994 Space Hobo

Demetrius. He reminds me of my husbands step-mom, everything is about her daughter and her friends and my husband is pretty much a background character compared to them. Not only that but his dad won't step in either.