Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Haha, gosh I am reliefed that I am not the only one with quite a few dislikes.

Is the dwarf even telling a bit more about himself at some point? I never befriended him because I always forget him... I know, it isn't nice of me.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I think the fact that each character has something to dislike about them is what makes them more believable. If CA had written them all to be perfect, rainbows-and-moonbeams characters, they would be flat, boring. The best characters always come with flaws, and the best of those are the ones that you can read deeper and see *why* they have those flaws, and almost feel sorry for them. I find it hard to really hate anyone in the town because I know that even the ones with the most detestable habits still have redeeming qualities too. Even Morris, who's probably on the top of the list of most-loathed for me, could probably be given a backstory to explain why he's such a slimeball. (I absolutely LOVE seeing villains get a second chance to make right of their mistakes.)

In the end, I think we choose the characters who rub us the wrong way based on our own perception of them and the things they do, and we pull from our own experiences. Everyone harps on Pierre for being greedy but I just can't get behind the hate-train for him, as I see a man trying to provide for his family. Alex, with his sexist comments, doesn't really bother me, I just roll my eyes. Haley's attitude definitely gets under my skin though, but that stems from the fact that I dislike girls like her to begin with, so when one is snotty its ten time worse. lol

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I was going to break down your comments and say what I agree'd with... then thought, "Hell, I agree with the whole thing!" hahaha :D

• Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

What language was bad there? I didn't curse or anything?

How am I to fix it if you don't say what it is?

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

But Pierre says to you that he will sell his products as his, you should not sell to him if you don't agree, but if he was doing that in secret I would find a problem! He gives you the same cut that the Lewis and instant money for gaming values. Caroline don't have too much to go on because she have a nice life, same for Abigail, she's not the kind of person that experienced any hardships, so she is spoiled.

Most of people dislike of Pierre because they lost to him during the fair (me included), but after I won he showed good sportsmanship, It's important for him to win, because he's betting his work.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what pushed Pierre over the edge of dislike for me. Credit-stealing is not cool. He could choose to brag about his top-quality produce while still recognizing who brought it to him (fostering goodwill and community spirit and all), but he doesn't do that.

I agree with a lot of what you've said about the others as well, especially Lewis. Like, dude--do you honestly think that having a relationship with Marnie would cause you to be impeached or something? Are you a priest? I'm sure nobody cares, and that many already suspect it (like Jas and Shane, lol). ...Or is the real reason that you don't want to be serious with Marnie, but you're stringing her along because you're enjoying what you get out of the situation? That would make me dislike him, but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's really door #1.

• Stryder87

I recall that comment at the beginning of the game. But really, with all the money I give him for seeds, he couldn't have given credit for the finished product to the farmer and mentioned that it came from his seeds (like a "See how good the seeds are that I sell?").

Maybe I should make my own seeds from my crops. Remove that revenue from him, then see how much he likes it! haha

Then again, this is all canned dialogue, so all these options are moot anyway. :poke:

• Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

You know exactly what you typed out. Of course you cannot see it now. I'm cleaning up your foul language after you.

No more.

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Others have mentioned it too, the way he talks about wanting to rub lotion on her made me think, "Dude, I barely know you. Please stop talking."

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

But Stryder87 think about it, you're a person that NEVER worked on a farm, have basically no experience with crops and animal care, yet Pierre kindly support you from the beginning! A crop made from someone with 0 farming skill should not taste very good... thinking about quality, something like silver is tolerable, gold is good and iridium is the best taste. But he never said that the bad ones was made from you, he claimed that was made by himself, while it give time for you to grown.

So in the end, when you're finally can made iridium quality things on your farm, was like Pierre receiving back all the support that he gave to you, for me this agreement is fair.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

300 hours playing it and my *who I like the least* hasn't changed a whit - it's STILL Shane. Maybe it's because I dislike people who use alcohol as a coping mechanism, combined with how he acts (nasty) before you get to know him.

I know a lot of people like Sebastian, and he has a stepfather that barely tolerates him, but his emo attitude does rub be the wrong way. He talks about moping the whole day away, and I'm thinking "dude, quit acting like a spoiled 13 year old". Not to mention until you get two hearts with him he's extremely hard to talk to because he likes to hide in his room. Plus, he seems obsessed with frogs, and I just don't understand that.

On the female side, the only one I dislike really is Haley. She starts off so superficial and of all the characters, she's the only one that will flat out ignore you ("Haley is ignoring you"). Wonder if you get friendship points with her when it says she thinks so little of you that she doesn't bother talking to you.

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Ahem, there is nothing wrong with loving frogs. Frogs, not toads. They are so cute! The feet are so bubbly and their eyes look adorable. And frogs make such nice sounds.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Hey, toads are adorable too! Look at this little fattie that decided to make himself at home in my mint plant!
                            IMG_6314.JPG

• dearautumn

dearautumn Void-Bound Voyager

I know a lot of people like him and will disagree with me, but I still can't get to like Shane. I do not hate him, of course, but he makes unconformable.
                              I just can't stand people who drowns themselves in alcool to forget about their problems or how sad their life is. It won't do you well and won't get any better, plus you're more likely to hurt people who care about you too. This is probably due to the fact that I have a hard time to deal with these people in real life too. But it makes me feel so sad for Marnie and Jas whenever he collapses in his room. I guess I pity Shane more than I 'dislike' him, though.

I do not like Haley and Pam as well.
                              For Pam, it's definitely the whole alcool issue again. But she seems somewhat less willing to change than Shane, and that makes me cringe even more. Especially the fact that she has ruined it for Penny.
                              On the other side, Haley is just the kind of girl that I can't support. I don't care if she gets nice once she gets to know you - she's probably still acting that way toward other people.

• Stryder87

That looks like a huge toad we had living under the concrete slab of our back deck when I was a kid. That thing was HUGE! At least 10 inches across! Must have been the farming life we had out there... lots of bugs for him to eat as well. Ah, the good 'ol days...

sunlite and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                • Alphapharmer

Alphapharmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Favorite people? Hayley, Shane, Morris

Most hated? Pierre, Linus, Emily, Clint

• Muny

Muny Void-Bound Voyager

I like the ups and downs of all characters since they add layers. But one character I never try to befriend is Pierre. He's just as money hungry as the goons over @ Joja. If he had enough success and business to expand he'd just be the next Joja. Even at the events hes pre-occupied with his business. And to top it off there's that weird secret stash scene lol!

• tophatsaur

tophatsaur Orbital Explorer

I dislike any of the characters who are more props than people. That would be Gunther, Morris, the girl with no name at his mart, Sandy, and to a lesser extent Gus. Characters who are mostly just there to be merchants, and I'm not sure why they were never given any depth when compared to the other characters.

Other merchants like Clint have character arcs, routines and... Uh, houses. So why can't they? I find it odd that a young woman working at Joja Mart appears to have no visible home, and when they go out of business, she is gone with them!

I just finished my first playthrough. I chose the Joja route because I wanted to see if that would lead anywhere interesting with Morris, but instead he was portrayed as nothing but a two dimensional villain. It strikes me as odd that a game famed for its character depth would have a character so two-dimensional. It seems to be driving a heavy anti-corporate agenda.

• Dougyhowzer

Dougyhowzer Space Spelunker

I think the ones who I don't really jive well with is Clint, Pierre , and Kent

Pierre . Well He only thinks about profits and his shop it seems. Isn't their more to life than that ?
                                        Clint. I feel for Clint because I think something may have happened to him and may explain why he doesn't socialize much.
                                        Kent. I think he made some choices he later on regrets. I can sense that his mind is pretty occupied with his thoughts.

The one thing I will say is that I like the uniqueness of each person in Stardew Valley , they all have their likes and dislikes and own story .
                                        I find that I can relate to many of them ,

• Stryder87

I just had a thought about this when I read it. Maybe she's Morris's wife and they live just outside the valley and drive in every day for work. While the road west of town is blocked off in the tunnel, the road east is open. Maybe they live that way? Although it's odd that the road west is blocked since that's the way you get to see Sandy. There's some voodoo game-physics going on there.