Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

and i was upset that the creator chose to assume i would only gift people i wanted to actively date -shrugs- i'm not mad at you or anything i am just pointing out that there is pretty much no difference here and there

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I see a huge difference. You can still gift whoever you want. There's a chance it will make your spouse jealous, but you get to play your game. Getting trapped in a cut-scene that's entirely out of character for you, then having people say "yeah, it was gross you were doing that,", is different entirely.

But surely it's a dead-end conversation... Carry on. Have fun.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
      • 》Lasercats《

》Lasercats《 Intergalactic Tourist

Haley is nice to know but can be just so mean. I also hate lewis because, well he just, all he seems to talk about is how long hes been mayor. The only time i wouldnt say anything about his boasting is if you had a mod and hed been mayor for 300 years

• dollydollop

dollydollop Orbital Explorer

Gosh, I love discussions like these, really brings out everyone's perspectives and insights, love hearing about the different angles and views people have on the villagers. That being said...
          Pierre. Ignoring/neglecting his family (when he's not being overbearing and kind of controlling, Caroline I think has just learned to be bland and quiet or to not voice her own opinion that much), constantly griping about JojaMart (the cutscene where he literally punches Morris through the roof was upsetting, especially since he hijacked the entire Community Center party to incite mob-mentality against JojaMart and again, literally punched someone through a roof after inciting a fight), acting vaguely threatening to Farmer on their own farm, trying to make Farmer pity-shop, selling Farmer's produce and when it's good, says he grew it himself, suspecting his daughter isn't his (I don't subscribe to Caroline cheating on him with the wizard.). He feels like an unsuccessful Morris. (I don't hate Morris btw, honestly wish I could befriend him and learn more about him.)
          Mayor Lewis. That Community Center didn't break down just because of JojaMart, and the bridge to the Quarry? The way he shuts down Marnie also puts me off a lot (and while I don't think she's a particularly good guardian for Jas, I still end up liking her as a character and she doesn't deserve that) and it feels like he just doesn't want to be official or get serious with her, and just because he's been Mayor 20 years (and look how that's going) doesn't mean he's a good Mayor and I really, really don't like the golden statue thing (and Clint's 'business tax'- presumably the gold for the statue).
          I don't think I totally dislike other characters, but there are things bout them I don't like.
          Clint trying to manic-pixie Emily for one. I'm not terribly fond of Emily as a personal preference but Clint building this image of her, or creating who she is in his head isn't fair to her character, no matter how awkward or in-his-shell he is. And the clothes therapy thing where he congratulates the player in a way that makes me feel a little guilty bothers me a little bit too. I understand Emily wasn't originally meant to be someone you could date, but honestly, I ship her with Sandy more than I would ship her with Clint. Or Mr. Qi? I feel like they might get along.
          Sebastian talking about running off into the city. I like Sebastian, but the way he views the city at first irks me. Especially since he's very clearly established himself as an introverted man who doesn't like dealing with people. He does, later on, admit that as time passed he thinks the city was just a rose-colored dream and that he realistically wouldn't have been happy there.
          Penny. She's very...Selective. If you don't share her views, she takes it very personally. She has a specific vision in mind and if you don't cater to it, she has a kind of drastic reaction. I feel like her 'I do things for the good feeling of knowing I'm making a difference' combined with 'my mom is awful and leaves the place a mess and my life is her fault' also bothers me. She mopes about her situation alot and I understand it's not the best, honestly but. Pam doesn't have a room and while after the house I don't like her sudden Yoba conversion, I like Pam and genuinely wish the best for her. I imagine it was the single mother life all the way for her and Pam outright says that she doesn't want Farmer to end up like her and while she was harsh in the one heart scene, I don't think she's normally so abrasive with Penny. Gruff, sure, but I don't think she's normally that snarl-y.
          Alex can be sweet, but he is also sexist and rude. He apologizes for being rude, yeah, but when one of the first conversations I have talks about do I have a bikini, I'm a little put off. To say the least. And his highschool quarterback jacket. Again, he can be sweet and his story is touching and he admits he's not the smartest but it's still uncomfortable to read through all his gloating.
          Abigail bothers me, to a degree. I can be her friend, but I absolutely can not think of her as an actual partner. She seems like cool friend to have in highschool, but not mature or responsible. And the scene with her going into the mine and hiding in a corner did nothing to endear her to me.
          This being said, I also partially dislike some things about her because of the popular theory that she's the Wizard's daughter. I don't think she is. I think he adventuring thing came from, if anything, her father's old boxing career and while she says something about her hair not changing color, I think she might have mucked around in the Wizard's basement once (on first meeting her she admitted to enjoying exploring those fields alone and she hangs around the tower sometimes, and with her reckless sense of 'adventure' who's to say she didn't decide to break in?)
          I also can't see Leah as a partner. She's...Fine. But it rubs me the wrong way that she ditched her partner, even if I don't like that Kel was trying to push her into medical or law or something when she clearly didn't want that. Not only ditched her partner, but fled the area entirely. I understand that point of view, not wanting that kind of suburbia and kids kind of thing, but she seems a little too into her own thing for me to think of her as marriage and co-mother material.
          Wow this was long. I also wish there was more development for people you can't currently befriend. I also really, really want to meet the witch and I want Jodi and Kent to talk about their marriage and who they are and whether or not they're actually compatible as of now. And for her to have some time to herself to maybe actually be able to find a hobby of her own that she enjoys just for her instead of maintaining her household and worrying about that all the time.
          (Edit for distinction of characters and grammar)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
            Medicell and .Lavender. like this.
          • WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Wow two years already, time flies...

I'm surprised to see people that still don't understand Pierre, for me he is the least of the problems of the valley, now that we have confirmation that zero star products are indeed... BAD, this make valid my early claims, that he purchase products from you and get all the blame, instead of pushing the blame on you. By reading other comments, people are really trying to make a argument about Pierre speech on the CC? C'mon! That's was honest of him.

I learned to like of the characters, but my thoughts about Linus didn't changed, I know that this will sound rude but I don't want a beggar living next door and I think that no one would want to. CA may have wrote his character with the best of intentions, but his life style isn't working very well for him if he needs to eat from the trashcan and stay inside of the sauna all time during the winter, someone posted long ago that like Pam we should be able to improve his tent somehow, there are lots of people that live in the wilds without the need to be a weirdo.
            Ingame he is fine and I like of his personality, but I can't help myself to bring those problems to the real life.

@dollydollop I misunderstood Penny in the beginning, she is very shy and by understanding that I appreciated her 10 hearts event a lot more, knowing that she have trouble expressing herself.

Leah don't make any sense, as later she have kids with you, I understand that it's because game mechanics but some characters should stay true to themselves.

Alex and Haley is more of an AH than rude, the only characters that are rude with you in the beginning are Abigail and Sebastian, Seb is super rude with the farmer but people likes to hate Alex more because of his gym jacket, I don't think that the sex of your farmer matters as Elliot flirts and blushes at you if youre a male farmer, at least Abigail softens and became very sweetheart.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
            • UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I am pretty sure you mean Shane, not Sebastian. I greet Shane on day 1 at 5:10 pm always. "I don't know you, why are you talking to me?"
              I also greet Sebastian day 1 at 6:40 pm "Oh you are the new guy. Cool. Of all the places to move, why did you choose here?" Starting a conversation.
              Sam tries to start conversations as well. That is certainly not rude.

Shane is always on "Don't you have work to do" if you don't increase friendship fast enough. Sebastian's text is less aggressive (or rude).

Sure everyone loves their shani-poo since he's just a poor fellow with an alcohol problem. But I don't see it.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

No I really meant Sebastian, I totally forgot about Shane lol, he takes the cup of most AH character in the beginning for sure lol

• Ringeltree

Ringeltree Space Spelunker

Haley. A lot of the characters are rude, but she is downright mean with her insults. I know she isn’t supposed to be likable at first, and I completely buy it.

I kind of like Alex. Yes he is a sexist jerk, but all his bragging seems to be his attempt to be friendly— he wants to impress. He is just an idiot, not intentionally mean.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeeeeeah, being an idiot is not an excuse for being super gross in my book. the fact that he feels entitled to police women's bodies all throughout his heart events is super not acceptable, like no you little toad i do not care to know how hot you think your friend haley is, i certainly do not think it is appropriate that you want to see me, a veritable stranger in a bikin and i 100% do NOT find it even a little bit ok that you not only ordered for me but picked cheap veggie dish while you cram a freakin' steak down your gullet and ask me if i enjoy the smell

on top of that he abuses his dog by not regularly feeding it, letting it come inside in inclement weather, giving it ample room for play or when the poor thing does get food feeding it things that will sicken it like bbq. alex can go herniate in a corner

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
                      Medicell likes this.
                    • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

My chief problem with Alex is he initially comes across as a super arrogant jock jerk. I play as a male farmer and he's annoying enough towards a guy, but he seems to be much worse towards a female farmer. Not interested in becoming friends with someone like that. It's why I have problems with Haley, she comes across initially as this stuck up airheaded cheerleader who thinks she's too good for the PC ("Haley is ignoring you"). IF you get them past that initial mentality you discover that they are way more deep than initially thought...but do you WANT to put up with the arrogant front to find out what they are really like? (In my case, NO) I hate Shane too but he's more aware of things and occasionally you see a soft side with him (usually during festivals). Don't really see that with Alex or Haley...

• Ringeltree

Is that his dog? I thought it was Pam’s for some reason.

I can’t see having a female character date Alex, but a male character,maybe. I like to think of his sexism as an act - he’s just pretending to be straight. I haven’t had any character date him yet.

Medicell likes this.
                        • Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand Orbital Explorer

IMO a few characters come across as a bit more caricaturized than they need to be. Not too much problem with that as it's a game and you can't please everyone. However Shane, Alex and Haley could tone it down a bit. Maybe find opinionated dialogue which comes across less rude. Abigail is moody, no problem with that. I happen to like Elliot from the start and think of him as Douglas Adams' description of the Earth in HHGTTG: Mostly Harmless. I never got any bad vibes from Penny but then I'm biased (see my avatar). But None of those people do I not like.

I don't like Pierre though. Caroline's unhappy with his business-first behavior and he's a bit of an egomaniac. I don't feel bad putting Joja out of business but at least I kept H from making a bigger scene at the Community Center ("Let's be adults about this" or something similar). Sheesh, Caroline deserves better. And Mayor Lewis is rather an egomaniac with his gold statue and not making it official with Marnie.

• Ringeltree

I don’t read Leah’s dialogue as she never wants to settle down and have kids, but that she doesn’t want the hollow suburban life. Being an artist and settling down on a farm would be satisfying to her soul, and having kids at that point is fine. I like both Leah and Elliot because they chose to come to Pelican Town to pursue their dreams (as opposed to most of the other potential love interests who you keep from ever seeing the world.) Also, Leah’s ex’s stalking behavior shows how toxic that relationship was. I think Leah just downplays it in conversation.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i've seen a couple of their heart events and haley and alex both give themselves away as putting a hard edge on their social deficiencies as a means of defense though the actual poor behaviors never actually go away they just mellow some to a (mostly) bearable 'just an uneducated hick' kind of flavor to them. assuredly if you don't find them to be tolerable when they are at their worsts then the improvements might not be sufficient (sadly if the way they end was closer to where they started they wouldn't come off as caricatures but as nuanced persons who just happen to have some pretty poor ideas about gender and social value)

the dog is his and he is the only one who interacts with it, also it is in front of his house X''D i think that might contribute todusty being his dog

i think if you share the same opinion as penny you won't see(most of) her toxic side, anyone who agrees with her on having lots of babies being ideal isn't going to get the 4 heart reduction and won't mind the very narrow opinion that making a family trumps all(including taking care with the family you have), anyone who isn't disabled and doesn't personally know someone who is disabled will agree she was probably just helping george out instead of seeing her mindlessly violate george's personal agency and sense of self-worth and of course since she is rather cute and not actually trained/educated as a teacher the uncomfortable way she fails to meet vincent's basic educational needs can be seen as charming and retrograde instead of insufficient and accidentally cruel all without saying anything at all

assuredly it's a matter of weighing the good over the bad in this game and playing a hall-of-mirrors game of trying to find the right angles to approach every new face. even the less uncomfortable characters have serious problems so being able to find the desirable in undesirable people is fulfilling to many. i mean heck, my favorite bachelor is harvey and he only becomes a good person when you get over his ignorance about dietary health and his super creepy crush on maru that borders into a work-safety violation depending on who decided the hooker-nurse outfit was what she had to wear to work

Medicell and Ringeltree like this.
                              • Ringeltree

Oh, that scene with Penny and George freaks me out every time. The dialogue options do not cover my reaction.

My character has issues too. The way my character wanders about spying on everyone is pretty creepy too. I like it when Marnie calls him/her on it.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

well, there is a fix that is a little better;
                                  https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2849

mostly i skip the event though. i get a little nauseated seeing a person being treated like a piece of furniture then seeing that person have to apologize for the perfectly reasonable reaction of being upset at literally being pushed around without his consent

• Ringeltree

Unfortunately I am using an IPad, so no mods for me just yet (AFAIK)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

oh jeez, that sucks

• Ringeltree

Yes, there are several mods I’d like to try. Ah well.

I guess it is the case that each farm tells two stories: The story created by the game and the story created by the player who fills in the blanks with imagination, experience, biases and so on. The game creates the black outline and we color in the rest. I know my version of Alex is more my crayon scribbles than the game’s lines.

• sockpuppet

sockpuppet Seal Broken

Krobus He's a real little monster