Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

My female farmers have married nearly all the male bachelors except for Alex. I just can't stand his living in the past glory of his high school sports, if he was any good he would have been picked up by the pros. The ones I've married the worst was Sam, which surprised me, I love a rock and roller guy. But he becomes so lazy he sometimes doesn't even get out of bed. Elliot is ok but gets a little too sweet and clingy. Not sure about Sebastian yet, one of my farmers only just married him so time will tell. Harvey is the best, he dotes on you makes you breakfast, repairs fences and has a job he goes to everyday. For my male farmers I've had one marry Maru, which was good but she doesn't do much of anything around the farm, they divorced and he married Leah who just mopes around all day. The other farmer married Emily, whoa, she gets very strange after marriage. My farmer couldn't run fast enough to Lewis' to get the divorce and after just one season, maybe I'll get him hitched to Penny she seems sane. Hayley is out the picture I just don't like that bubble head.

• Sigrah

Sigrah Void-Bound Voyager

Bachelors:
      - Alex: Yeah, I'm no fan of Alex. He reminds me of Al Bundy from Married with Children, but even more loser-ish. Al Bundy may have worked at the shoe store, but at least he WORKED. The fact that he acts like he's God's gift to the world just makes it 10 times worse.
      - Elliot: What you get when you cross Fabio with a failed Novelist. Need I say more?

Bachelorettes:
      - Haley: Stuck up b-word and super shallow at the start. I avoid people like this in real life because I don't have the time or energy to waste on people like that, not going to start now in a game.
      - Leah: She's nice and beautiful, but just too artsy for my liking.

Other Villagers:
      - Lewis: Not only can he not take a joke (common man, "purple lettuce" in the Grange Display is CLASSIC. It's not like I put his shorts in the Luau Soup or something...), but since 1.3, it's clear he's just another corrupt politician. I mean seriously, who needs a solid gold statue of themselves? At least now I know why he visits Clint to collect his "Business Tax" every Saturday in Spring...
      - Pierre: Two things. First, he pretty much has no life outside of his shop. It's like "there are people in town that could use a job, why not hire someone to run the shop and enjoy life a little more?". Secondly, what a picky little ****. Fried Calamari?!? That's the only non-universal "Loved" gift you like?!? *shakes head*.

Reneeisxena likes this.
      • Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

To be honest, Penny is very homespun and rather unproductive when you marry her. And she complains about Jas and Vincent very frequently.

I married another girl on every save file (Emily and Maru still in work) and my personal favorites are Abigail and Leah.

• Neonn_Neo

Neonn_Neo Seal Broken

Alex- i honestly don't know why, he's the jock and i guess that's kinda stereotypical.

• Dialo

Dialo Void-Bound Voyager

I also second that with Demetrius... Given I marry Sebastian almost every single playthrough it just annoys me how he treats his own blood like a queen but treats his adopted son like garbage. I really don't like Marnie or Lewis either, but the person I have the biggest issue with is probably Shane himself. It's an unpopular opinion and I don't see why everyone loves him, it's probably just a personal viewpoint from own experiences but he just seems weak and annoying to me. I always taught myself you have to be strong and you can't do those things to yourself or think that way, I convinced myself from a young age that the way Shane acts and thinks, the things he says is the sign of a weak person so it just rubs me the wrong way in a sense... I know that line of thinking is wrong now that I'm an adult but it's something I engraved into myself, it's not easy to just forget that's how you tend to view things x'3
            He may also just remind me a little too much of myself as well, no matter the reason though I just don't like him all that much, it's not on the same scale as all those other guys mentioned, its more like I like him but I still can't really tolerate him in his events? If that makes sense?

• Neonn_Neo

Neonn_Neo Seal Broken

That’s actually understandable, personally (as you probably know) Shane is my favorite but I can see where you’re coming from!

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

welp, shanes is still the worst but penny bumped up to a close second. i read her heart events on the wiki and she is a super gross person. she's really pushy and doesn't listen at all and if you aren't entirely on her side she either gets soft and mopey and walks right off or she gets weird and unpleasant (like heck, she drops 6 hearts if you don't like children???)

i know people like her and they are an emotional sand-pit that sucks everything in but so softly that you are already in at the knees by the time you realize it was a trap and so inoffensively that /you/ look like a brute if you aren't super careful trying to escape

Dialo likes this.
                • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Penny isn't my least favorite character but she's in the running. I view her as "boring" and "sees the farmer as a way to get out of her current situation" - the latter of which irritates me no end. Of the 6 available bachelorettes she's usually the one I have the least affection with. Her 2 heart is fine, but her personality just annoys me...plus of all of the available people to woo she seems the most interested in having kids, like that will allow her to escape her alcoholic mother. Sorry, Penny, I'm going to keep you with your mom because you are too boring and one-dimensional for my taste.

I'd say Shane still tops my least favorite character. I have a problem with people who use alcohol as a coping mechanism and he's downright nasty towards the farmer at first. Haley and Penny come close, Haley is way too superficial and "Haley is ignoring you" bothers me. Shane may be nasty but at least he acknowledges you! Penny is too boring for me.

• Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I basically like everyone. There are no character I hate or dislike. I respect and accept them as they are. For me, differences are the key of a strong bond friendship. But, my favorite character is always Leah. I've never marry anyone else except her. She is the best girl I've ever met! She respect the nature so much.

Odd Farmer likes this.
                    • .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

Emily. She's so..... bland and "lol random! :rofl:". Also her heart events and lots of her dialogue suck. I'm actually working on an overhaul of her right now, because of how disappointing she is.

Clint, for being a Nice Guy. I may dislike Emily, but she doesn't deserve that.

Shane. Even with his character development, I just... can't. I have a family history of alcohol abusers so that hurts to see. I legit do not understand why he's so popular - by 10 hearts, he's like 2 heart Alex.

Demetrius. Also made a mod for him, and I legit cannot play without his Dialogue Overhaul mod because b o i he upsets me with how he treats Maru and Sebastian.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I like Emily. Yeah she's weird, but she's upbeat weird, as opposed to damaged goods weird. My oldest(favorite) save, I'm married to Emily and wouldn't have it any other way.

That's just my take. I know it's a "least favorite" thread but gotta speak up for my girl. :)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

do you have a link to the demetrius mod? i used to like him until i found out he was a garbage parent(unfortunately/fortunately by then i already realized robin was pretty garbage too so i never did like her)

• .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

I use this one! It still has some references to Sebastian, but they're less hateful and more "we're struggling to connect". Also it adds so many lines, I've never even seen one in game.
                            https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1120/

Also for those who hate Pierre, this is my fav mod for him, Abigail, and Caroline. It makes them a happily married couple, gives him a personally, I love how Abigail is written, and - this is my personal preference - but I haaaaattteee the "omg!!! Abigail is teh Wizard's child!!!" thing and this mod gets rid of that.
                            https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1447

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

thankyou ^^

also, it is probably because i foraged and he had a grange containing nothing i grew(as i grew almost nothing) i was neutral to him and i only dislike him now because of his 'stash'. if it is important enough his wife /needs/ to know then there is a bit of an issue

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

It's all just differences of opinion. I was ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED by the "stash" cutscene. If you wanted to rummage in the man's private stuff, fine let the player find the stash. To have the game force the player into that situation where they're digging through a person's private belongings is an absolute travesty! That's the crap that should be patched out of the game.

Saraneth likes this.
                                • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, it was gross you were doing that, i won't argue it. to be frank though you probably have guessed by now i have a laundry-list of things that the game forces the player to deal with that should not happen(though i suppose something could be said about how it is the way the game intended you to be portrayed and modding it out would be duplicitous)

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

The point is, I wasn't doing that.
                                    That's one of the reasons to put your marriage first, and put your spouses wishes above trivial self desires. Someone is going to show up and decide they /need/ to interject themselves to show what an <insert slur> you are. It never says what the "stash" is. I'm not going to hate the man or think that I /need/ to throw a monkey wrench into his marriage just because of his unknown stash. Maybe it's only gifts that he gives to the eligible girls in town? What about his "personal agency"?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

except narratively-speaking /you/ specifically were doing it. the person playing as the farmer did not consent to doing it but the farmer being played certainly did do it. it is part of the creator's vision that the farmer would indeed rummage through pierre's personal things and so it happened. it certainly was a crummy scene but it's cannon

• midnightsky

midnightsky Void-Bound Voyager

I don't dislike any character, but I do like some more than others. My least favorite characters are Harvey because all he talks is doctor, Haley because she's just stuck up, Alex because he's everything I dislike in a guy and Lewis because of his treatment of Marnie.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Canon?
                                          It's also canon that your spouse might get upset if you're gifting eligible villagers. Just gotta live with it, I guess.

Fact is, I was really upset when "the creator" chose to assume that was a situation I would find myself in. After nearly 3,000 hours in the game, most bedrooms are still unexplored in my game world. The shelves at JojaMart are humorous, and worth a read, but I haven't found anything in anyone's bedroom(except the purple shorts) that has any kind of in-game value. Certainly, digging for clues is meta in video games. But in a "community simulator" digging for clues in people's bedrooms is just bad form, especially when there are no clues there. It's obvious that CA put in that cut-scene to inform the player that bits-and-bobs existed in NPC bedrooms, similar to the Linus digging in the bins cut-scene that informed the player that stuff was in the trashcans. The "stash" is meaningless. I see it as just CA's clumsy attempt to inform the user that they can play voyeur in people's bedrooms, if they want. I'm certainly not going to get upset that he keeps a stash and feel I should squeal to Caroline, if finding the stash is something "I" would never do.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018