Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

Who do you like least, and why?

I have to say there's something I just really dislike about Pierre and Elliot. All Pierre seems to talk about is running his shop, either how much it sucks or how certain things affect profits, and Elliot is a character straight out of some cheesy romance novel. I don't get why he seems to be so popular.

Artemisia_Eolh and sunlite like this.
    • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Definitely do not like Lewis or Marnie. They just rub me the wrong way.

sunlite likes this.
      • SarahSyna

SarahSyna Subatomic Cosmonaut

Clint. He's got such a strong stink of 'Nice Guy' about him and treats my character differently for being a lady, it's very off-putting.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

One thing I universally dislike about the characters is their refusal to accept a gift. Just because you receive a gift you don't like doesn't mean you throw a tantrum about it and be a snob. Okay, maybe I understand getting broken glasses or soggy newspapers. But besides that, it's so rude to react in such a negative way to a gift. Then to like someone less because they gave you something you don't necessarily like? I'm looking at you, Haley with your "Gross!"-ing at the prismatic shard, and Leah with your "this is a terrible gift" nonsense...

But ignoring that, I really dislike Gus. He contributes to Shane and Pam's drinking problem, which he doesn't care about because he gains money (or he's too scared to stop, as they may initially be upset). That's pretty cold, especially to do to a friend like Pam. And his "goodie goodie," "friendly" personality is so fake. I don't mind Pam because she has a problem, but I hate Gus for allowing it to continue.

I also don't like Leah. I initially really liked her nature-esque lifestyle, positivity and creativity but when we married she became such a snob. We had two children and she'd stay in bed all day, she didn't even want to take care of them. I spent four days redecorating to get the perfect house, then she complains about how messy the house was. I divorced her later, we just weren't compatible.

blind3rdeye and Scarbo27 like this.
          • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seconding Clint for the Nice Guy reasons, but Demetrius slightly edges him out for me. I really wanted to like Demetrius with his nerding out over science, but the way he treats Maru (creepily overprotective) and Sebastian (seems to barely tolerate his existence) really frustrates me. He could be served by some sort of arc where he learns to respect Maru's space as an adult and reconciles with Sebastian to some degree.

eveeisme, Saraneth, Zosa and 4 others like this.
            • gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

I forgot about Demtrius and his relationship to Sebastian and Maru, but I definitely second this. Now that I think about it, it also sort of upsets me that Robin seems to tolerate the way he treats Sebastian.

• RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Shane because of his general rudeness and Morris because of his overwhelming smugness.

EDIT - Add Clint to that list as well. Went up to talk to him at the saloon and his response was "don't you have work to do?". Really?! At 10 past 8 at night?

Jerk :zzz:

• Seismothesaurus

I agree; at least she talks about him sometimes, but I wish she would step in on his behalf with Demetrius. Seb is one of the characters I feel most sad for, just based on the way he's treated like an outsider in his own family.

worldstraveller and Yoseiri like this.
                  • Giant Octopodes

Giant Octopodes Industrial Terraformer

Lewis for his treatment of Marnie.

Alex because he's insanely picky in what he loves and thus is super high maintenance, not to mention he hides nearly as much as Sebastian.

The travelling cart lady because she's standoffish and won't build a relationship with me, and she never ever has what I need.

Yoseiri and Surenu like this.
                    • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds her kinda cute.

Dougyhowzer and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                      • StardewMe

StardewMe Aquatic Astronaut

There's characters I dislike for a few reasons that might be small.

Marnie - Trying to find her in the shop was ridiculous. She would either be staring at a microwave for 4-5 hours in game then go to her room or she would leave the second the shop opens.

Actual character wise and not the path/schedule of a character though.

Shane - The cut scenes of him being passed out drunk was terrible for me. I grew up with alcoholics in the family, so to see a game character like that instantly put me off from them. This might seem like a stupid reason though.
                        Demtrius - How overprotective he was of Maru. I'll admit I made a save file just to marry her in spite of what Demtrius said to me in that cut scene.

gamelovegirl likes this.
                        • Mars_bk

Mars_bk Void-Bound Voyager

I'm surprised more people didn't say Haley or Alex tbh...

Seconding on the Clint thing tho. I went through heart events with Emily just for the hell of it and he was such a wad.
                          I went through the heart events with Shane and it gets better. He stops drinking and starts going to therapy, and the more you talk and interact with him the kinder he gets. Though I understand where you're coming from with the alcoholic thing. It's one of the reasons I dislike Pam and her neglect for Penny and drinking problems.

• CookiesByTheSea

CookiesByTheSea Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, i think Leah hides more than Alex or Seb. Seb is 9/10 times near his house (unless it's Friday) and Alex is usually near his house or the beach (and the occasional spa day when you unlock it)

• StardewMe

StardewMe Aquatic Astronaut

100% true. I've done I think all heart events that were possible with all characters. It's a relief seeing him better himself. It was more of an initial impression that was hard for me to forget about.

• PTpirahna

PTpirahna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No one has mentioned Harvey? I find that my routine NEVER goes by him, if i'm lucky i'll find him at the saloon, but besides that i'll tend to have almost no hearts with him just because he closes so darn early and is never even in the clinic. I always have to hunt him down to raise his affinity.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

He complains about not having any patients, yet the doctors office is open for 6 hours. 6. 9:00 to 3:00. Out of all places, he should be open 24 hours, not having the tightest schedule.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Shane for the way he treats you at first. Yeah I know he eventually grows to like you, but if I have someone actively being unfriendly when I first meet him, not going to bother trying to get past that...

Kurachi84 and Zosa like this.
                                    • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I noticed a marked difference between my first runthrough using a male toon vs my second using a female. He was rude to my male toon, but he was noticably downright nasty to my female toon.

Alex was a letch to my female toon... something he always kind of was no matter what toon I ran, as I was reminded of as I just sent my male toon through the Flower Dance last night and his comment of "Enjoying the scenery" always annoys and slightly offends me. I mean, sure, appreciate the pretty girls (they do put in a lot of effort to look pretty), but geez man, keep your tongue in your mouth and wipe up that stupid drool. Gah....

SarahSyna likes this.
                                      • Seismothesaurus

Not to excuse Shane's rudeness, but I do sympathize a lot with it. He's rude as a defense mechanism--putting up a wall to protect himself ("Every time I try something new it goes horribly wrong. You learn to just stay in a shell.") and probably on some level to protect others from himself. He doesn't like himself most of the time and he knows he's doing things that will inevitably hurt anyone who cares about him. He does express guilt about it, both toward the farmer and regarding Jas. (Edit: and he apologizes for it later on, which I don't recall anyone else doing.)

Personally I have a different reaction to that than, say, Haley, who's rude at first because she's a superficial snob. Or Clint, who never completely stops making snide comments ("Don't you have work to do?" or his shop dialogue, "Too lazy to mine your own ore?" So sorry for the business, Clint).

I don't say this to suggest anyone's reaction to Shane is wrong--I totally understand being put off or wanting nothing to do with him. "If I keep talking to this mean person, eventually they'll stop being mean and love me" only works in video games and is obviously really unhealthy in real life. I just don't personally find his rudeness to be worse than the rudeness of some other characters (and not just Haley/Clint).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
                                          Saraneth, ARE1994, WilliamZ and 2 others like this.
                                        • AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

Haley. So rude and nasty and self absorbed. I don't care if she changes her personality later on, you can only insult me so many times before I want to feed you to a bunch of slimes.

Penny. I personally think she's just very boring. Yes she's a very sweet, kind person with a broken family but she's not very exciting.

Clint. He's always so depressing and upset about everything. He never seems to be happy with himself or anything else. Even when he does amazing things like craft iridium tools he still hates on himself pretty hard.

At first I hated Alex for being the scumbag woman chaser who boasted about being the greatest future gridball player ever. I did start to sympathies with him later after finding out about his horribly abusive dad and his mother dying when he was very young. I've known people who experienced these things so I can understand he's using his physical skills to hide his lack of mental skills and mental damage.

Morris. Of course I hate him. Money hungry, destructive, greedy, step-on-anyone's-throats-I-can-to-get-ahead A-hole. I also find his design very creepy. He legit looks like a child predator. His big cartoonish bowtie, his coat with the hanging tails, and that pedophile grin on his face, especially when he closes his eyes and lips and smiles. I hate pretty much everything about Morris. Eric did a good job in making people want to chop Morris' head in two with their axe.

WilliamZ, Yoseiri and RogueZephyr like this.