1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Learning from in-game assets

Discussion in 'Art' started by ThePeruvianWhore, Aug 14, 2017.

1. ThePeruvianWhore

ThePeruvianWhore Aquatic Astronaut

Hello! I've recently gotten into pixel art, and to get a leg up in my progress I've been using the pixel art style in Starbound as reference. As a forewarning, most of this art is heavily based on Starbound objects, but also modified to learn my own style.

fancyaquarium1.png cB.png BC1.png
    Constructive criticism welcome!

2. GerboPotato

GerboPotato Space Hobo

Oooh pretty! I like them. If you want to practice more styles, try looking at other pixel art also, or pixeling different objects/characters than what you see in your references. :3 It'll help you expand your repertoire and give you more freedom to make what you want. Dunno if you already figured as much, though. But hey, I do really like what you made. That flower in the vase, for instance, is super cute. I also wish I could use those bookcases in game!

3. Dragon_Knight02

Dragon_Knight02 Space Spelunker

Hey, not bad. The only criticism I had is that the legs of both version of the chairs are too short and too long.

4. Junkuza

Junkuza Mop

These look great! Allow me to throw in my two cents about pixel art, as a guy teaching himself too and already made some hiccups;

A really good place to start, especially with housewares/furniture, is to first of all make a base for a person. It doesn't have to be amazing, or even anything other than a base, but a general idea of how tall and how wide the characters you're going to implement is a great help with making furniture- I discovered that myself when I made a furniture set, only to discover my characters were all but dwarfed by the set when I tried to use them together. I'm not sure how tall/short Starbound characters are, but some of the chairs may look a little strange when they're standing together side by side.

... Okay that was the only thing, but if I think/make more mistakes I think might help I'll be back!

5. KingDragonMage

KingDragonMage Void-Bound Voyager

whoa this is amazing! i would love someone turn this into a furniture mod or something

6. Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

Love the art! Using Starbound as a reference point has definitely helped you. The trick now is building your skills and confidence to move away from Starbound.