1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Launching issue: Can't change directory

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Norvalised, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

I was able to play the game on one computer fine and wanted to transfer my save to another. I didn't have much time to figure out the required files so I just saved the entire 'storage' folder. When I finished installing the game onto the other computer I moved the contents of the copied storage folder into the new one and ran the game - without having previously launching. Straight away an error popped up with a "Fatal Exception caught: (IOException) could not change directory to \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\" - LauchingErrorIOExpetion.PNG .
    It seems like a non existent directory.

The first thing I did was delete the storage folder and create an empty one with the same name. Same error message. I then deleted local content and reinstalled. Same error message. Restarted the computer. Again same error message. As far as I am aware there are no exact same error messages in other threads. Even the other 'IOException - rename error 3' solution didn't seem worth trying. Currently the storage folder is empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Try the 32-bit version. Try to copy over your data first.

3. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

No luck with the 32 bit version either, with and without copied data.

LaucnhingErrorIOexception32bit.PNG

Attached Files:

4. Cupa

Weird... Did you tried turning your pc on and off again? Can actually do wonders.
    Check if the folders are protected from writing.

5. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

I have indeed to no avail.
    I unchecked the 'Read Only' property of the 'Starbound' folder (and all sub folders) and tried again. Still the same message.
    It seems to me that it's trying to change the directory to a non existent one. Why does it need to change the directory anyway?

6. Cupa

Could you please attach your sbinit.config found in the folder for your OS?

7. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

Here:
    Code:
    {
      "assetDirectories" : [
        "../assets/",
        "../mods/"
      ],

"storageDirectory" : "../storage/"
    }

8. Cupa

Weird, weird...

Reinstalled it yet?

9. _ShiroiKuma_

_ShiroiKuma_ Poptop Tamer

Are you launching through Steam?

10. Cupa

I do, yes.

11. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

Several times, yes. And again just now, still the same error.

12. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

I've tried launching through steam and from both the win64 and win32 folders.

13. _ShiroiKuma_

@Norvalised

I just had the same error on a clean system I built today. I installed Steam to C:, but installed Starbound to a 2nd library on G: and it fails with the same error message. Uninstalling Starbound and installing it again into the default C: instance of Steam allows it to work. Weird... maybe try that too?

14. Norvalised

Norvalised Space Hobo

I re-installed to a separate drive and it's working. Thanks. But I don't see it as a permanent solution. I'd like to know why it isn't working on the same drive Steam is installed on and how to remove whatever it is that's preventing a full re-installation.

15. _ShiroiKuma_

I did some poking around and for some reason my G: drive lost it's mapping every time I rebooted. Never had that happen in the past.

I just removed all partitions from the drive, nuked the MBR and re-initialized it as a new GPT drive, re-created it's partition G: and did 2 reboots, this time it didn't lose the drive letter.

Created a new SteamLibrary via Steam (G:\SteamLibrary), then installed Starbound and now it's working fine.

Based on this, and we had the exact same error and 'workaround'... perhaps it's your HDD/SSD?

Norvalised likes this.