1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Larger entities and the terrain.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Marcus Eralice, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus Eralice

Marcus Eralice Big Damn Hero

So something's got me thinking, just how exactly would various entities of large size interact with the terrain in means such as...

Will they be able to step up onto inclines larger than 1 block?
    How would sprite placement work when standing on a slope?
    How will they deal with obstructions and avoid being rendered helpless by them?
    And how exactly would they work? Will each body part be an individual entity or will larger beings be a single entity?

2. KwickPhyre

KwickPhyre Industrial Terraformer

I'm not sure. I think, like in Terraria, bigger entities such as bosses will be flying, and not interacting very much with the terrain. I think maybe you should ask Tiy or Rho, I think only they know.

3. Cereas

Cereas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mmh no, I don't think that the dev team will only use that poor method. Im pretty sure there will be several flying bosses and even worms but I also think that there will be some, if not many bosses that interact with terrain! As Marcus stated, probably a bunch of entities that build up to a greater one. Or maybe a Boss who moves in the background, uses abilities on you for 20 seconds and then moves a part of it's "body" to the foreground where you can attack it.

4. KwickPhyre

Ok thanks!

5. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think ground-based bosses will just jump like mobs in Terraria do. And like others said, for the bigger ones, they will more than likely be in the air.

6. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

ive been thinking about that when looking at the mech picture in the FAQ page.
    i cant provide an hypothesis myself but im really curious about it

7. Marcus Eralice

Though, I didn't just have bosses in mind for these questions.

Aye, that was one of the things that came to mind.

Another thing I was thinking of in the case of individual body parts, weak points. As larger generally means stronger, more health, and more defense, fighting one may take a bit of effort. Having spots that are weak to the different types of damage would change the course of battle, especially in the case of a boss fight.

I can imagine bosses being the main users of the "individual body parts" as it can enhance the boss fight experience, making you have to derive some strategies to defeat them rather than swing at them blindly and block the occasional attack.

8. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

I really hate bosses that make themselves invincible for most of the battle, leaving only small windows between attacks or after you cut off all it's regrowing legs a small timeframe to hurt it. They should be all action, not attack and defend phases. it really doesn't make sense that while an enemy attacks its invincible, or they can move to the background and you can't shoot your gun into the background too?

9. Cereas

Cereas Subatomic Cosmonaut

T'was an example! ;) But yeah, I get what you're talking about.

10. Soprano

Soprano Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah maybe the land-based bosses can affect trees and stuff, like uprooting them, snapping them in half, etc. Then again what if it destroyed your house. :speechless:

11. KwickPhyre

I would like a whole planet to be a boss, that would just be so good.

12. Scruffy

Scruffy Pangalactic Porcupine

How do you defeat it if the whole planet is the boss?

13. Marcus Eralice

Ever play Gradius? You gotta strike at it's core. Following it's defeat would involve an escape sequence.

Though, I never liked the idea of "organic" plants.

14. KwickPhyre

Yeah, but why not! Starbound has to have lot's of things that vary. I think boss planets would be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.