Landable Ship

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by drcrannberry, Apr 17, 2014.

1. drcrannberry

drcrannberry Void-Bound Voyager

I think you should be able to land your spaceship on the planet, when you would beam to your ship you would go to that place on the planet. When you "flew" your ship back into space it would update your shipworld file to be the same as when you launched it from the planet. Please respond if you think it is a good idea! :hylotl:

2. ObsidianDragon13

ObsidianDragon13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Although the idea of a landing ship sounds awesome the ships would be just way to big (the upgrades and such would just be to big) now a dropship would be an amazing compromise small enough to land anywhere and do what you would have ships do i digress all in all a cool idea but would need a smaller ship to land

soarin24 likes this.
  3. YeBittenDog

YeBittenDog Aquatic Astronaut

I second the Dropship idea. Very cool.

4. kindlol234

kindlol234 Void-Bound Voyager

It would be absoloutley AWESOME! Though I agree with obsidiondragon, they would have to make it so small ships like T1-3 would be landable, but not the rest.

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What does landing the spaceship actually achieve? It seems like a somewhat useless mechanic.

6. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Yeah no this is just not a feasible idea since the random landing locations mean you might just straight up park your ship on top of an apex city. Just no.

STCW262 likes this.
  7. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe the highest upgraded ship has a detachable shuttle you can use to descend to the surface? Said shuttle could even be useful for navigating asteroid fields as well.
    As for landing a ship, you'd be able to have a portable base planetside without having to beam back up to your ship. Unpacking a crap ton of stuff from your ship into a vault you constructed on a planet would be VERY convenient too with this.

8. xZexta

xZexta Aquatic Astronaut

The player should build a wide enough area for their ship to land on, then use LZ Markers to specify where the middle of the ship should be.

9. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

So build a giant landing runway? I guess that could work

10. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

The shuttle could also hover above the surface if it happens to be uneven. For the shuttle design itself, I'd imagine it looking like the unexpanded version of your "mothership".

This may offer a unique way to navigate asteroid fields, manually flying the shuttle from roid to roid, exiting the airlock whenever you see something of interest you want to check out. One problem I foesee tho is the fact that our ship in orbit arouhd the planet is always facing to the right. Perhaps if you wanted to fly the other direction in your shuttle, any furniture you have placed in it would also rotate to keep their original places aboard the shuttle? (If you have some lockers in the back, they will be on the other side of the shuttle when you turn the entire ship a 180 degrees to STAY in the back, which is now on the other side)

11. ambrose

ambrose Astral Cartographer

a flyable Dropship is my suggestion or the option to use a modded vehicle such as an Explorer Pod.