1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Lamia Race Mod 0.9.2

Snakes on a Spaceship

1. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

Antyrus submitted a new mod:

Lamia Race Mod - Snakes on a Spaceship

Read more about this mod...

2. NagaShoes

NagaShoes Big Damn Hero

Nice~
    Lookin' forward to more cute snek stuff!

3. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

I gotta say two tidbits though...

1: Could you change how armor looks ? like making them some sorta belly dancer outfit for females ? like they weave their metals and alloys into thread and then this thread would be woven into clothing

2: Any chance there could be a version with the Ningen race faces/eyes ?

Would like it if them guys could have chakrams as a racial weapon...

Fawnae likes this.
  4. Guilmonex

Guilmonex Phantasmal Quasar

I think you can add some face-scales along the jawline or something like that, and may be elf ears?

5. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

I agree with more scales on them, too; not just scales along the jawline, but also on the arms/some on the body. They ARE reptile people, after all!

6. Guilmonex

Guilmonex Phantasmal Quasar

Just like Miia from Monster Musume.

7. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

I have been waiting for a race like this for a long time. Thank you for making it a thing! They look fantastic, and you should design them and their gear however you want.

Yes, almost every Starbounder is a xenophile and fan of monster-girls/guys to some degree, but don't let that influence your design of the race, unless that was the angle you were already leaning towards.

Keep in mind sprite limitations. A single scale on the arm would take up half the width of it, while a single pixel scale on the jaw would be the size of a mouth or eye. Sometimes ya just gotta use imagination.

Edit: Looking through the species data, I noticed they have a line I haven't seen before in other races. Just what is effectDirectives, and what is it replacing/changing?

8. Antyrus

Xary-
    1. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not too fond of the armor, but at this stage I just want to make it functional through tier 6. After that, I'll probably go back and make some actual custom armors(fun game: find which pieces of armor are recolored from which specific parts of vanilla sets) and keep the old ones as costumes.
    2. I'll consider it. If it does happen, it'll most likely be an option.
    3. I definitely have some racial weapons in mind, and a chakram is at least one of them

guilmonex, alpha_stevO-
    I was already seriously considering adding scales to the face. Scales on the rest of the body is an interesting idea too, and after I finish armor and other stuff I'll look into doing a torso overhaul and providing some options to how scaly you want your snakes.

Lindazana-
    That's a good question that I don't know the answer to, but it's in the base race assets. Edit: a quick google told me that effectDirectives changes the teleport color:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/color-oddity-in-custom-race-teleport.118652/
    I would guess that the other races you looked through opted to change the png file itself and delete that line, because for this specifically it's probably easier to edit the png than a bunch of hexes.

Everybody-
    Later I'll add a "Future Updates" section to the mod page to tell people what I'm working on, which I really should have done from the beginning tbh

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Lindazana and Guilmonex like this.
  9. Dekeon

Dekeon Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you for this mod, I missed the Hanashii mod(sort of like this, different name) so much. Then it went out of date and the owner disappeared. Two questions: are there any plans for making Lamia tenants and are any other races a possibility?

Saint Apollyon likes this.
  10. Antyrus

Dekeon-
    Huh. I didn't even know Hanashii existed, which is weird, because I specifically looked for a lamia type mod before I made this one. And to be completely honest, I'm super impressed with their mod because after downloading it to look at the files, they actually fully animated it themselves, as opposed to me, who literally just slapped the human torso onto the floran pet's body and called it a mod.
    As for your questions:
    1. Tenants are planned after I hit mod version 1.0 (check the mod page later tonight-tomorrow for what implies)
    2. Other races are totally off the radar until after 1.0, but I have some mad scientist brainstorms on the shelf.

11. Alpha_StevO

Not sure how you're going to do body variants, as I haven't personally seen anyone find a system to doing it, but do let us know if ya do! I'd be interested in seeing it, myself!

While true, spriting is ultimately gettin' the most outta what little you have. But it can be managed; see?
    [​IMG]
    Suddenly, snakelady's about a snakey amount more snake. That's a lotta snake!

I wanna quote this because I feel like, outta all the suggestions posted here, this one's probably the most important; this IS your race mod, ultimately. People are going to want to have their variations, but they can always make their own. Take on too many suggestions from everyone, and your passion project becomes much less about you. I KNOW IT'S IRONIC FOR ME TO SAY, since I made a suggestion myself. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see wherever you wanna take this mod!

Lindazana likes this.
  12. Antyrus

I hadn't really thought on doing it built in to the character generator so much as adding several extra spritesheets and letting people change the .png names if they REALLY wanted to, specifically because I don't know how to add different body variants to the gen, but that's definitely a "later" thing that i'm not gonna worry about right now.

Also, thanks for the support, everybody! I never really even originally intended to do a full mod, I was originally just curious if I could(as mentioned previously) slap a human torso on a snake body and get it to work, and lo and behold, it did, but suddenly I needed new leg armor, and if I was gonna go that far I might as well post it and make it a full mod.

In other news,the next update will finish up adding armor, and the tier names are currently set to go:
    -------------------------------------> Anaconda->Ouroboros (seperator)
    Garter->Boa->Coral->Viper->Mamba->Hydra (manipulator)
    -------------------------------------> Cobra->Basilisk (accelerator)
    I'm seriously considered renaming the "Hydra" "Gorgon" but compared to the snake that represents infinity and the universe and the King of Serpents I'm not really sure it stacks up, even though Gorgon is really fitting. It was originally set to be Jormungandr, but then it occurred to me that Jormungandr was, in fact, an ouroboros, so I nixed that.
    Also: Jormungandr or Ouroboros?
    I really want to know what you guys think.

Another idea included something along the lines of
    ----------------------------------->Constrict->????
    Hiss->Slither->Coil->Fang>Diamond->????
    ----------------------------------->Rattle-->????
    but honestly the endgame seems way less interesting than Legendary Snakes

At the time of writing, I've made everything but manipulator 6 and accelerator 6, but when you see them I think you'll all agree that some of the designs need polishing if not straight up revision(the current cobra set is atrocious, and I've pretty much just been stealing, mixing, matching, and recoloring armor from vanilla sets), but that can happen later.
    I've also made a Dark Disguise "Sock"(I'm not really sure what you call something that covers a snakes lower half?) so you can be a Shadow Snake if you want. This was mostly just experimentation, but it adds a tool in the box for the future; Almost all of the lamia armor so far is designed to fit both lamia and bipeds, but "socks" are gonna be lamia exclusive.

gee whiz, that was a long post

13. Alpha_StevO

Legendary snakes are definitely the best way to go. Plenty of cultures have snakes in some way!

Orochi (eight-headed serpent-dragon from Japanese myth)
    Shesha (multi-headed cobra from Hinduism, who sings to Creator god Vishnu)
    Quetzalcoatl (feathery, winged serpent wind god from Mayan-Aztec myth)
    Apep (Egyptian god embodying Chaos)
    Samael (Judeo-christian Angel of death, said to have been the serpent at the garden of Eden)

Lots of golden material ya could use for names.

Could follow a pattern of:
    - > Multi-headed Snakes (i.e. Hydra, Orochi) (Seperator)
    normal gears - > Cobras (i.e. Shesha) (Manipulator)
    - > Rattlesnakes/poisonous snakes (i.e. Medusa, Basilisk) (Accelerator)

14. Antyrus

I think Shesha actually makes everything work thematically:

Mamba->Basilisk: Manipulator, because super deadly snakes
    Anaconda->Ouroboros: Separator, big snakes = big health
    Cobra->Shesha: Accelerator by default

And it's not like I'm limited to only these sets, either- I can always finagle more armor in later, but for now i think this'll work perfectly.
    Thanks!

15. Antyrus

Antyrus updated Lamia Race Mod with a new update entry:

Armor and Socks

Read the rest of this update entry...

bluestorm2112 likes this.
  16. bluestorm2112

bluestorm2112 Tentacle Wrangler

Very cool, keep up the great work.

17. darkus32

darkus32 Big Damn Hero

i can't unzip the folder with winrar, does anybody have a solution ?

18. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

I'm curious do that have a custom walk/run animation. Like they slither more then seeing their arms swing like they have feet. If so then i'll get it if not then i won't. I like to see if the lamia slithers more then walk like humans.

19. Antyrus

Short answer: Their arms swing exactly like any other race.

Long answer: It's definitely possible for me to edit the arm cycle sprite so that it doesn't swing, but there's a real problem in terms of getting it to work with every shirt in the game; this is a problem I have with pants, and that already seriously cuts the amount of content the race can actually use(You basically go from every set of pants in the game to 11 that I specifically designed). I think I could theoretically change which frames are selected per walk/run frame so that I don't have to make a gajillion sprite edits for it to work, and I think I'll definitely look into it later, but my current priority is getting content fleshed out more.

I changed the file type from .7z to .zip, try downloading it again.

20. Hrossbjorn

Hrossbjorn Space Spelunker

I'm having troubles with selecting the race. As in it's not showing on the character creation menu.
    but from the pictures it looks awesome. nice job