1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Lag Spikes in Empty Base

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DukeOfRiven, Jun 25, 2019.

1. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Played Starbound for hours last night, had a great time, did lots of things etc etc.

Boot the game up today and suddenly I am having lag problems I wasn't having last night. The planet I had been exploring became unplayable , FPS slowing to a crawl. Returning to my home base I found there are spots where the FPS drops to 17 frames a second. Thinking it might be an item issue I backed up my save folders and stripped the place bare of all items and furniture. Still that 17 FPS. I get 24 Frames a walk away over by a pile of NPCs - and much much better rates on different planets that I haven't been to before. What's causing this crazy lag and how can I make it go away?

Note: The answer IS NOT "turn off vsync" or "turn texture limiter on/off." I did my homework - those did nothing.

[​IMG]
    Here we see an absurd 17 FPS in an empty room with no items or furniture.
    [​IMG]
    Things are no better with the items back in place.
    [​IMG]
    As I ascend the tower the frame rate improves
    [​IMG]
    Things are great up here. But why? The place is just as bad empty as full - so it's not moving parts that are sucking down the frame rate
    [​IMG]
    If I played all the way zoomed out the game slows to a crawl - but as you can see there's nothing here. All the colony NPCs are several screens away - and I went over and kicked them out and it still ran badly.

On a Mac, so changing Compatilibility mode will also do nothing. The game was not running this sluggishly before I turned it off after many hours of play last night.

Lag spikes continue all over the place. New planet, never before visited - some ice world empty save for a few scientists - lag drops to 10 FPS, game is unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

The 1.4.2 update yesterday added multi texturing to the renderer. This is supposed to make rendering faster, but in some cases has resulted in a slowdown. The 1.4.3 update, which should be ready tomorrow, will add a graphics option to disable multi texturing. This should bring your framerate back to where it was pre-1.4.2.

3. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

So that's why 1.4.2 seems a bit smoother (for me tho)

4. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for the update! Any idea why my computer is struggling with this? It's only a year-old machine - difference between Windows and Mac versions?

5. De3DeR

De3DeR Big Damn Hero

How do you watch FPS? Why are there no debugging information with FPS values on the screenshots?
    In the console, you enter two of the following commands:
    /admin
    /debug

NEXT >>>

You take a screenshot, then you complain about problems.
    You turn off the debugging in reverse order.

/debug
    /admin

Without an administrator, the debugging doesn't turn off. But you can reboot the game to turn off the debugging.
    If energy is not wasted and the character does not get damage, then you are under the rights of the administrator.
    How to allow the rights of the administrator for the local game is not difficult, a lot of information. Good luck.