1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Lack of game support through forum

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by sjr56x, Aug 5, 2016.

1. sjr56x

sjr56x Yeah, You!

look I get that they are a small team and such, but looking through the forums most people don't actually get help. Unless it was a simple misunderstanding. Any actual problems with the game such as crashing, or screens not loading doesnt seem to be answered. I am mostly writing this because you can go back for pages and still see people who have serious problem that need tech support that arent really getting help. Some of the bugs I understand are part of larger problems that will be solved with time, but at there very least some confirmation or feedback would be nice.

2. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Feeling same, but as Iris stated to me- Would you rather have team of devs working on fixes and features or reading and replying forum?
    Ofc, I also want devs to show their presence, but we have what we have. Most problems get at least addressed if they can be fixed or reason can be found how to overcome problems. at lest temporary. And problems we have no idea how to tinker with- they are in standstill, sitting here, dulling slowly. But we know that devs are working and they don't reveal their plans, so we can only hope.

3. N3tRunn3r

N3tRunn3r Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I highly guess, everyone reads, notices and so addresses stuff from here and adds issues etc into the to-do list. If you gonna take a look, there are a lots of new threads being posted. It is best to so address informations and release fixes on a next or future update instead to answer. It will be a mess answering every thread. You see, it is all about efficiency.

See these threads as "Support Tickets"
    *cough*

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Not to mention that a few topics aren't issues at all (e.g. "my outpost is still in the same state after i started a new character pleaze halp!!") and then there are a lot of duplicates. Having the devs to read and answer every topic would massivly delay the updates. Sure it would be nice to see more feedback by the devs but i can assure that they definitly reading it. E.g. the bug with the trashbag which caused player files not to load. 1 day after it was known to the devs there was a bugfix for it. Other fixes that are more or less hardware related (like these access violations) take more time but they're working on it as fast and good as they can.

~ Iris ~

Kulsius likes this.
  5. Kulsius

^ Yup.
    Not to mention that if you look more careful at locked threads, you will see that many of them are locked after dev response, which only proves that dev is at least lurking and reading stuff, just not showing their online presence.

6. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The way I see it is that the devs don't want to make "promises". If they responded to every issue even with something like "yeah, working on it" they would rise expectations and people would just start complaining about "why is this not done yet". Also someone in Another thread said
    But the truth is that the amount of testing you can do without people actually playing the game is very limited especially for a game of this scale, and while there are definitely people having issues it's not actually that much of the player base. On top of that a lot of people that are experiencing issues are ones returning to the game for the 1.0 launch and expecting a game with 0 bugs. Maybe if they had tried to run the game and give feedback before the actual release at least once things like this would have been sorted (or at least more so, it's impossible to make everything perfect).

It's also worth noting that some glitches are much easier to locate and fix and devs are consistently pushing hotfixes for those (we are at 1.0.5 already) but some issues are much harder to solve and could take weeks. In my eyes the devs are working hard and doing their best to make the game as bug free and playable as possible, bitching about it is not gonna help, your best bet is to report any issue you have and wait (if you don't want to help in looking for a solution).

1.0, in my opinion, is a success, and having played some of the earlier versions of the game I can assure you that the optimization is there.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  7. Kulsius

Yup, seems devs don't want to make fake promises. And I've replied on that thread too.

And it uses precious developing time, which means, slower updates and less content.

Agree on that. Some problems just need more pinpointing or specific hardware and lone developer can't get it without spending lots of money for either hardware or hiring tester team.

Optimisation- yes. Success- arguably. I remember outpost 10-15fps on my laptop and i was almost crying when they added even more content in outpost. But now it looks pretty good and i'm happy with that. But thing I'm bothered about is removed content (even they added a lot more and returned some from early versions- hunger. But for people, it's easier to spot dark colors than light ones.) For me 1.0 personally felt a bit forced decision and looked like they released it only for some other reason than saying "yup, we are done, it's complete. It's perfect. If... IF there is any problem, we are ready. Let's push this and start working new content to make our existing players happy and attracting new players."
    Anyway, It's their decision and we can't do more than just stop playing if we don't like it. And for now, I'm not planning to stop. Ofc, i'm not happy that some of my favorites are gone, but I have other things to replace empty void.

8. Iris Blanche

Like mollygos said they're working on a content update. I assume that the removed content caused some errors with the existing system and is actual revamped. So i'm veryyyy curious :3 About the release...well it's arguably yes but defining a success of a launch depends on the expectations the devs had.

~ Iris ~

9. Geth270

Dunno, I agree that some stuff was removed but we don't know the reason for it, maybe it was unbalanced, maybe they want to rework it and add it in a future update. Whatever the reason though I feel that if it was gonna be removed fro any update the 1.0 is probably the most fitting and suitable though.
    Maybe. Maybe even they did it to get that feedback and bug reports who knows. A lot of games though (at least in my opinion) stay as "alpha" or "beta" for far too long, when the game is already functional but devs still wanna add to it and don't want to call something a finished product when in reality the "alpha" or "beta" only makes a difference in name (look at something like Space Engineers for example) and they way people view the game.
    They wrapped up the main storyline and released it, and I feel like now that the game is finally officially launched it will open up the player base that was waiting for it and that will also return for every big update to the game.

Once they clean up all the major bugs that only now are coming to see the day of light they will be more free to actually develop the game further rather than sit there bugtesting.

10. Kulsius

Yeah, might be, as 1.0 is kind of big milestone.

Yes, but crowd-sourcing games are much more common in current time and technology. Also, thing is, we didn't have much "unreleased" games before, because getting into alpha or beta testing was very selective thing and you either had to pay for it much more than actual game cost after release or had to apply like it was new job and even had to work specific amount of hours and write everything down, report problems, find their cause and had to be able to actually read and write code to be able to help development. Now all we need is credit card and google search "Early Access games 20xx". And people are fascinated about EA for some reason, so they jump in expecting SOME bugs for ability to say that they played that particular game even before it was well known, yet many of same people start complaining game have bugs or don't even have story or any content that player could enjoy more than 2 hours straight.

Really want to hope so. And probably it will happen like this.

11. Kulsius

So can't wait for new things to be added >_<
    Wish we had more info on what's coming >_<
    And I wish we had more things to do in the game s now i'm spending more time in forum than actual game.

12. Geth270

go for the mint condition achievement, with a 1/1000 drop rate of figurines i can guarantee you'll have at least 2000 hours of game time before you get it. :nurutease:

13. Iris Blanche

@Kulsius
    The knowledge that they're working on new content satisfies me anyways :nurunaughty: I'm also spending more time here than in the game but that's more because if i'm too lang away there are too many alerts (and mails). x)
    But i'm also sniffing around inside the assets for possible mod ideas. I'm thinking about getting slightly active in the modding section too.

@Geth270
    Does the figurines not suffering actual a bug where not all can be obtained? I think i read something about this somewhere but was too lazy to investigate :nurunaughty:

~ Iris ~

14. Geth270

Welp, I got 2 so far. I don't think they are bugged, just super rare so people may just be angry. And most definitely I will not be testing this, even with bows it would take forever to find out if it's bugged or not.

15. Kulsius

Got 8 so far, don't want any more of them :nuruconfused:

Me too. I'm more excited about reading log and checking new stuff than what's actually in update itself :nurunaughty:
    That's exact reason why I can't leave and play right now :nurusad: Once I finish one reply, 2 more appear...

So, bow increase not only meat drops?

16. Iris Blanche

According to the bow: a bow seem to affect the chance for the hunting loot table and the figurines are in said table ^-^
    Since i have the file open i'll going to check about the figurine bug.

~ Iris ~

17. Geth270

According to the Wiki at least, there are no stats given on this but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.
    Quoting from the Wiki --- "Unique monsters all have separate loot pools when killed with a bow as well. Their drops include meat, leather, and unique crafting resources (which have a higher chance to drop when these monsters are killed with a hunting weapon)."

18. Iris Blanche

According to the figurines:
    Code:
      "toumingoHunting" : [
      [1, {
      "pool" : [
      {"weight" : 0.599, "item" : "rawpoultry"},
      {"weight" : 0.400, "item" : "sharpenedclaw"},
      {"weight" : 0.001, "item" : "adultpoptopaf"}
      ]
      } ]
      ],

Toumingo will drop an adult poptop figurine. That confirm what iv'e read.

*searching the topic*
    Here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/figurine-issues.121120/

~ Iris ~

19. Kulsius

Oh, so now I need bow as I can see we don't have hunting knife anymore (am I mistaking something or we really had one before?)

aww :c
    how long is this a problem?

20. Iris Blanche

Hunting knife was present in the past. This figurine bug seems to be present since instruction of the system but no one until release ever noticed.

~ Iris ~