1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kobold Race v0.1 Giraffe Like Kobold

A savage race of unintelligent, but adorable kobolds.

1. CaptainKobold

CaptainKobold Pangalactic Porcupine

I just want to achieve my dream from the beginning of Starbound and be a kobold slumlord. Is that such a terrible thing?

It is?

Oops.

2. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

To be honest I'd probably freak out with this colonization shenanigan myself, it has a lot of potential and could lead to some better ways to do things like build settlements and progression. One of the things I kept on doing with Starbound lately was building on the Barren worlds, so stuff like that sounds fun :3

3. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

Just say when and the sprite factory begins work again.

4. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

I look forward to the update! I was sad when I discovered I couldn't populate my universe with kobold warrens. Power to you on that PhD!

5. CaptainKobold

Alright, so an update about updates.

July 14th onward I will have WAY less obligations for about a month and a half. During that time, I really want to get the kobold mod up and running. I'm going to see what more I can do before then, because I'd love to have things at least running on the new system before then, but we'll see what happens. As always, your encouragements here are awesome.

If you have any questions or want to help or have feature suggestions, feel free to post in here and I'll almost definitely see it and get to it within a day or two, even if I don't have a new version up yet.

6. CaptainKobold

Also, as I try to make the mod work again with this, I do want to try to add in some new, fun features as I start putting in all the old ones (or I'll be TOTALLY bored).

Now that pets exist, I'm getting the thought that instead of breeding tons of wamblers, perhaps that should just be the race pet. It would allow feeding your wambler, but probably at least initially remove dyeing your wambler.

Thoughts? Should I keep in the old wamblers and make a wambler pet? Is there a better pet for kobolds?

7. Bucketlamp

Claw weapons. I will probably animate a new thing for the Kobolds, maybe make multiple. Cat(Tame) Dog(Tame) etc

BOLD is actually coming out pretty well, all the rough sketches are done, just need to get her all pixeled up.

8. CaptainKobold

Ooo, claw weapons is an awesome idea!

So I'm today going to hopefully sit down and spend an hour or so working on trying to parse out moving kobolds from the old to the new system. There are a bunch of missing things on the quick carryover thing, so I want to play with it.

Also, tomorrow hopefully work on establishing some core things and ideally getting close to a release. Ideally, I want to put up what I have by the 1st of July, because I'm out of town for a week and a half after that.

Here's my game plan:
    1) Armors and weapons: About time I did this, though admittedly I don't know the current armor/weapon structure of the base game... I vaguely remember that certain tiers have been combined? This may involve reworking some of the ideas of how things are pathed. Maybe there's a wiki I can look at to figure it out?
    2) Other Basics: Setting up quests, creating flag, veggies and food.
    3) Kobold Objects Set One: With the changes to how objects will predict who will live in a space, I feel that I need to make kobold objects before I can make the kobold village. This may take me some time, given spriting takes me for-freaking-ever.
    4) Kobold Village: The village itself
    5) Redoing progression path: This is the spirits, the religion, the sacrifices, etc. This will also include a lot of fun little things. This MAY be moved higher up, but it will be an undertaking when I do it.
    6) Miscellany: Dungeons, more village stuff

Also, I've been thinking... Instead of Wambler coloring, Wambler-Breeding maybe!

Edit: I took a look at the way that armor looks now! Looks like armor will be themed up for tiers 5 & 6 as melee, ranged, and shaman. It looks as there are also 3 types of each weapon at tiers 5 & 6, which I'm not sure if we'll be doing. Alternately, we may be doing more totemic work with them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. CaptainKobold

Spent a little bit of time working on the mod today! Successfully managed to get the ship to stop working!

I think this is actually progress though.

Artay001 likes this.
  10. PinkMawile

PinkMawile Void-Bound Voyager

Great to hear you are working on updating to Spirited Giraffe, look forward to all the neat things you have planned.

11. CaptainKobold

Thank you very much POinkMawile! I'm glooking forwarl to the updates as well! Just got to feind a good time to get them done! Hopefully sometime in the coming week I'll getan update out, because I'lb be more of lress out of town for a week after that.

</boozetyping>

12. dirkdragonslayer

dirkdragonslayer Void-Bound Voyager

How have I never seen this mod before? This looks fantastic! Also, are you the same CaptainKobold of the Dwarf Fortress forums?

13. CaptainKobold

Thank you very much! I am indeed! I did a couple of Let's Play things on there with my same level of wall-of-texting and falling out of date with stuff!

Unfortunately, I'm also going to be out of town for about the next week and a half, so no updates until then! After that (hopefully!) I'll be down to a MUCH more manageable schedule which means kobolds fo' days![DOUBLEPOST=1435815142][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually for that matter, I think I'm the CaptainKobold on everything but some sort of Marvel Fanfiction thing.

Also, on google and twitter I'm DrCaptainKobold.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Bucketlamp

So I recently picked up spriter from the recent humble bundle, I may be redoing BOLD with it, since it makes animating things with pixel perfection. Also It seems with the recent updates claw weapons will be way way easier.

CaptainKobold likes this.
  15. CaptainKobold

Claw weapons sound very cool to me! I always like the idea of swift attacks.

Cap'n Update: Tomorrow's the last day of my week long family/romantic vacation and I'm anticipating getting some work in on Wednesday! I'm hoping to start reintroducing the things that were previously in, though I do intend to take very seriously the order that I put down in an earlier post. I want Kobolds to stand on their own as a race before I start getting extra fancy.

16. Bucketlamp

I have a bunch of scraps sitting around, I have a re-imagining of about 20 crop items. I have the golden salve item made as well, what it is used for, is still unknown. Perhaps we can make it a healing item. I may, remake the wambler, rather than making it a food item, we could make it the pet instead. Perhaps we can keep fluffy wamblers the food, and simply explain they're called wamblers due to their resemblance of the wambler, and is incidentally their favorite food.

Edit Appendage: What if the pet is just a cat, that every so often has an animation of it exploding into more cats?

17. dragonhero3

dragonhero3 Void-Bound Voyager

I am really looking forward to a new update to the race so I can play as a kobold again. Last time I played I could only go so far and it made me sad. I'm praying that you will be able to get the race working and be able to make them go all the way. ^_^

18. mr_engino

mr_engino Void-Bound Voyager

good to know somebody else remembers this mod!

19. dragonhero3

dragonhero3 Void-Bound Voyager

Well, it was one of my favorite mods that I used inside of starbound.

20. Bucketlamp

It seems the capt hasn't been chatting much. I'll try poking him elsewhere. We've both been fairly busy.