1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Spent time building today on the nightly. I'll have a gameplay report up soon, but in the meantime, did a simple build of a flying Kineptic home:

Kinepthome.jpg

*Small nits: Crystal Light and soft bed are not available in the sculpting plinth, for some reason. I looked at the recipe files, but can't seem to discern the problem - it shows up just fine in the 3D printer when I enable admin, but otherwise doesn't turn up. Do the recipes need to be unlocked? In any case, I just spawned them directly.

*The scratching post is lacking an Avali description.

*Slightly surprised we don't have a litterbox yet. Heh.

*I noticed that while both light fixtures do give off light, they don't give off very much. As you can see in by above build, I had to use crystal lamps to do the actual work of lighting up the area during nighttime. I don't suppose the lighting intensity could be increased, to say, the crystal lamp's?

-Thoughts regarding flamethrower:

*Haven't played around much with it yet, but it's good, using it at T5 like I take it's supposed to be. Moderate to high energy drain with as much damage, moderate range, and there's a very pleasing psychological effect to it. It's essentially what Thunderhand was supposed to be, I think.

-Thoughts regarding illuminate:

*A godsend for miners, especially those like me who obsess about using more torches than strictly necessary (especially when they eat up coal and wood like nobody's business), and a lot less hassle than getting out, placing, and if possible, collecting back torches, considering it's fire and forget. A lot better than waving around with the flashlight and its narrow beam, too. One of my most used spells.

Possible upgrades could include non-hydrophobic, extended duration and increased light radius.

-General thoughts on magic:

*Does the branching out of fireball to flamethrower and will-o-wisp mean that elemental magics will follow trees?

*Pulse is actually very nice for a base damage spell. I would not mind seeing this expanded upon into a proper magic tree, as opposed to the other races' starter weapons which are thrown away at the first sight of something better. Also, I'd like to suggest that the "sweet spot" for charging be more obvious, like the bows - perhaps a brief flare-up about the hands.

-General thoughts:

*The fish are very amusing. They're quite easy to "grow", too, but so are most crops. I think they feel just about right - they don't need tilled soil, but take up much more space than most crops.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

The problem is the player.config.patch file. I forgot to add those things to it (lamp, light, bed). I've fixed that for the next time I make a new nightly available.

I intentionally left the avali description out. I'm probably going to go through and remove all the descriptions for them, since... well, it's not my place to say how they'd react. I'm not their creator and, though I can make guesses, I don't know for certain what they'd say.

I thought about a litterbox, but... coming up with descriptions for it would be awkward. Besides, the kineptic are advanced enough to create their own thumbs; I'm pretty sure they'd have a better sewage solution than a litterbox. Though, my cats have litterboxes that are fully enclosed, and it'd be kinda funny to have all the other races scoffing and being all like, "You'd think they'd have figured out a better way" (and the hylotl being completely disgusted) only to have the kineptic say, "You know, there's an actual toilet in there..."

The low light intensity is intentional; once I get around to making better dungeons, the dim lighting will help add an atmosphere of mystery and the glowing glyph blocks will fill in the gaps. As you may have noticed from the white carpet, I'm kinda splitting off their architecture into two types: serious (mystic/arcane) and light-hearted (cat gyms, scratching posts, stereotypical cat things) The monoliths and red cutains are sort of paired together, and the wood and white carpet are paired together; kinda like how the avali have (as I like to call it) tent culture and tech culture. The white-carpet culture will likely have much brighter lights.

Actually, illuminate is currently not hydrophobic. Well, I should say... was not. It is now! :p

The flamethrower and wisp spells are still very much a work in progress. I intend for them to be craftable at the end of the tech tree. But I put priority on the tiered fireballs simply so ya'll weren't running around with those lame broadswords, hammers, guns, etc.

As for the thunderhand, it's not going to turn out like the flamethrower at all. I have... much more grandiose plans for that one. *chuckles and wrings gloves together* The nightly tier system and progression aren't set yet; I have a pretty good idea for how I'm going to do it since the ores are now split... but without the rest of the infrastructure in place, it'll be difficult to find a way to balance it that doesn't stick to the cookie-cutter "you need this metal to do this" that would still be compatible with the finished version.

I do intend for pulse to get upgrades. However, it requires a bit more work than other spells due to having to create a file to define how long it takes to get to what power and when which frames are played. I am not good with numbers. At all. They make my brain very sad. It's safe to say this is the only kind of math that I like:
    [​IMG]
    I made the timing for pulse's charge so difficult for two reasons:
    1) It can one-shot most common enemies at the beginning of the game; full charge does about 16 damage
    2) The damage isn't "quantized"--When you specify it to do 3 damage at 0.2 charge and 7 at 0.6 charge, 0.4 charge will not be 3: it will be somewhere between 3 and 7. Without knowing the way it calculates that damage value (and the small time scales involved), it's extremely difficult to get just right.

And spell trees... yes, spell trees are going to be a thing. I am going to complete fire first, since it's the most flashy element. Kineptic aren't wizards: they're magicians. Any wizardy stuff is for show. Real world magicians are not superhumans, and particularly talented magicians will put on magic shows (many of which can be quite flashy and showy). Same goes for kineptic. There's just something about fire that makes you want to stare at it. I consider it to be most fitting, followed by electricity (which is why thunderhand is a thing right now, even though it's incomplete).

EDIT:
    Also, that ship is amazing. Give me your skills.

3. Oddbrother

Oddbrother Cosmic Narwhal

There’s a typo in one of your object’s frame files: kineptifishtank.frames

4. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Gosh dang it. I wish there were a way to update the download without having to post a full resource update. X-X

EDIT:
    NEVERMIND! Looks like there was! Redownload should fix that issue. :3

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  5. The Observer

Hmm. Before I start - would you mind it overmuch if I tried to dabble a little with the pulse spell, get it separated into various tiers at the very least? Would like to ask for permission, since it's your mod and all.

6. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'll have to think about it.

7. Himeki

Himeki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think he's asking if you'd mind if he did it for personal use. Just trying to clarify, not sure if I'm right though.

8. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

This is how you fly with STYLE. The bubbles are not there. Do not look at them. There were never any bubbles. Bubbles are just a myth.

Roboboy2710, Icebelly and Seajun_ like this.
  9. Roboboy2710

Roboboy2710 Void-Bound Voyager

What bubbles? I saw no bubbles.
    Also, just throwing out a suggestion, have you already thought of replacing the matter manipulator with a spell? The matter manipulator feels a bit out of place, since you would think that a magician space cat, having already come up with the technology to throw fire from its paws, would have the technology available to manipulate matter with its paws? Sort of?

(This does not necessarily have to be made right now nor does it necessarily have to be made ever, it's just something to think about)

10. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Someone's been looking through a magic crystal ball, haven't they? ;3

Seajun_ and Icebelly like this.
  11. The Observer

A small outpost I built myself, with the help of some admin commands. Kineptic scouts have quickly erected a small base of operations-cum-restaurant, searching for valuable materials to help program their glovetech.

Naturally, they're quite excited to see another fellow from Nepet and wish to share the wonders of bread, having discovered it in the universe:

2014-10-26_00001.jpg

Although the universe can be a lonely place, and some Kineptic miss the authentic taste of home.

2014-10-26_00002.jpg

Quilavabom likes this.
  12. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

"Some days I dream of butter."
    That needs to be engraved on a gold plaque studded with diamonds.

Also, for ya'll reading this, sorry for not having an update out for, like, a month (and longer...)
    Settlements don't build themselves, nor do they design themselves, or the furniture in them, or sprite said furniture, and so on and so forth...

To be honest, most of my work has gone into the nightly build. I use it as my testing ground because, y'know, ability to spawn items via commandline and stuff. Now I kind of have to go through and figure out what needs to be moved over to the stable build. Oopsie. No promises, but I'll try to push out another update within a week.

13. The Observer

I seem to have a penchant for flying buildings. In this case, Flora visits a research station-cum-outpost.

[​IMG]

Quilavabom likes this.
  14. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Quilavabom updated Kineptic Race Mod with a new update entry:

Multi-purpose tables

Read the rest of this update entry...

Icebelly likes this.
  15. SiFiGeek36

SiFiGeek36 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey dude which version of starbound works best with this mod i am running an older version. Please reply this mod is awsome but i can't get new stuff and the illuminate thing crashes my game

16. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

It runs on the most recent stable version, enraged koala. I don't know how compatible it is with versions before that.

17. SiFiGeek36

Cool Thanks

18. SiFiGeek36

Hey me again how do you craft new spells I am a new player to your mod would love to now how

19. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Go into your basic crafting. Near the bottom there should be something called an "Arcane Shrine". Craft it, set it down, and there you go. The fire spells unlock as you get the engine upgrades.

20. SiFiGeek36

How do I fix it every time I craft it it doesn't work