Modding Discussion Kids - Community Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by telles0808, Feb 12, 2014.

1. faytkun

faytkun Void-Bound Voyager

Haha thanks yours is pretty cool too c:

2. Blarzek

Blarzek Void-Bound Voyager

Nice mod :DD

3. nim543394

nim543394 Space Hobo

What Programs do :p i need

4. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

I really want to (and am completely prepared/willing/able to make) an Avali child from the Avali Custom Race (http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/avali-race-mod.998/), but I completely read this entire thread and couldn't find anything concrete saying that this mod could support custom races. While that probably won't stop me from making the child anyways, it would be nice to get some clarification! n.nU

5. Ulithium_Dragon

Alright, I have one frame done. The rest "should" be easier, since I now know what I want the kid to look like (as to what differs from an adult). I still don't know if it will work with this mod without heavy patching, and I painted cloths on since I'm sure that part wouldn't work right. It also occurs to me that I need to get the Avali Race author's permission to do anything more than post a preview pic! Anyways, here's a preview with comparison:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RyuujinZERO and faytkun like this.
  6. faytkun

THEY'RE SO CUTE

7. Ulithium_Dragon

Heh, thanks. I had a very hard time trying to figure out what rows to cut in order to make her shorter. I don't think I can do any more than that without compromising the overall Avali shape! n.nU

EDIT: Grr, I wanted to use that as my avatar on this forums... Either the site doesn't like .png files, or just doesn't support images with alpha channels. I'll try no alpha and .jpg @.@

8. Ulithium_Dragon

The Avali race's creator game me permission to use the assets, so I'll keep chugging along! If it turns out this mod's rig doesn't support custom races, I'll try to either figure out how to patch it in, or head for an independant release!

---------------------------------

I don't want to flood this thread with posts, so I probably won't post another preview until I get a good few more frames done. Stay tuned! :p

faytkun likes this.
  9. Ulithium_Dragon

This is taking me a lot longer than I thought, because each body part for each pose needs to be resized uniquely and individually, and then I have to try and salvage the overall pattern on a smaller scale (with less pixels). I just now finished the second idle pose:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. faytkun

yeah I get the pain :/ even just normal sprites like humans are hard in some incidents

11. Ulithium_Dragon

Thankfully, the Avali race uses the same sprites for the walking AND running frames, so that cuts out 8 frames I need to do! :]

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I cheated there ;) - seemed like a lot of effort to create 8 unique frames for a mode of movement people hardly ever use (Let's face it, 99% of motion is some combination of running, jumping, and flying)

13. Ulithium_Dragon

I didn't even know there WAS "walking" in Starbound until I looked at the sprite frames for the first time! Seems like something that would only ever be used for promos and Machinimas! n.nU
    Not very practical to "walk" away from a charging monster when they all move so dang fast! :rofl:

EDIT: My forum title bugs me, not because I don't like Halo (quite the opposite), but because it fits in here like 0.0%! It's one of those "single number" titles (117), but I can't seem to get another stupid forum badge so it changes... Y_Y

14. kardofaces

kardofaces Void-Bound Voyager

looks sweet

15. Beta_Krogoth

Beta_Krogoth Aquatic Astronaut

I think this is the first time i've seen anyone trying to put kids in a game rather than making them killable or removing them entirely.

16. faytkun

Unfortunately, haven't really heard from telles0808 in a long while. Which is why I haven't really bothered making anymore kids

17. Ulithium_Dragon

Yeah, this is the kind of mod that was announced as a "community" effort, and as such it's pretty dang impossible even if you DID add more kids to get them added to the main mod, since it looks like the author both needs to be the one that ultimately adds them to the list (creating the recipes and generation), and who updates the main mod.

Even when I finish my Avali plugin, I've now since decompiled and taken a look at how this mod is set up, both in the javascript coding and implementation, and I can now say with a certain amount of confidence that it does NOT (at least at the moment) support custom races. While this won't stop me from finishing my mod, it may change how long it takes me and how I have to go about implementing it, as the way the author of this mod simplified the character frames makes it MUCH easier to use (the vanilla game uses a single .png image sheet that contains ALL the possible animation states for each body part separately, i.e. there's one for body, one for front arm, one for back arm, etc.), and requires less frames (i.e. no swimming, ducking, sitting, or sleeping animations). I don't look forward to trying to figure out exactly WHERE I need to place each body part in that .png image sheet in order for the game to "put together" the NPC with the proper body part alignment.*

Furthermore, I would probably need the original author's permission to create a "plugin" mod that adds Avali child support, and he may be completely inactive now, but I will try sending him/her a PM when I get closer to being done. I've also started making sure that all my animation frames have separate layers for each body part in the GIMP files I saved, in case I DO end up needing to use the vanilla system...

*I'm wrong, the framework will support it with minimal effort on my end. This is because the kids are handled as "monster" entities, rather than "NPC" entities.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  18. faytkun

Actually I messaged them a few weeks ago seeing if they'd like some extra hands on people but I got no reply

19. thunderskull833

thunderskull833 Orbital Explorer

how do i get rid of the kids like is there any way to put them in a chest or pick them up as an item

20. Ulithium_Dragon

Use the mod "SmartPet", then you can put them back into their capture balls and store them!

thunderskull833 likes this.