Kid rooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Jul 24, 2019.

1. GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

If I upgrade my house to have kid rooms, will I be forced into having kids? I'm not reading that they aren't very useful and kind of annoying.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Kids are indeed annoying and not very useful, but you don't have to have them if you don't want to, even if you get a bigger house.

Right, that's enough about parental advice, did you have a question about Stardew Valley?

Pangaea, Zosa and GeekWoman like this.
      • Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Upgrade your house, then use those two rooms for kegs or preserves jars. It will hold about as much as a shed.

Expensive storage space, true, but you might as well get some use out of it since it is required if you want to then add a cellar.

GeekWoman likes this.
        • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if you're married your spouse will occasionally ask if you want to have kids, but you can just say no every time.

GeekWoman likes this.
          • GeekWoman

*laughs* One More Day. Too funny. We have seven adult kids with seven significant others and 10 grandkids (so far). So I'm very aware of the reality of real kids! It's too bad they didn't make SDV kids "useful" like for doing chores and whatnot. I could use the help!

Thanks for the info. I have almost enough money to upgrade the house and do want to eventually get the cellar. Thanks for the storage tip, Clovis! Great idea!

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

It's not exactly a convenient shape though. While it might be theoretically hold the same as a shed (I haven't counted) it's not nearly as useful, you have so much more wasted space to be able to get to every keg. You'd probably be better off just building a shed, they only cost 15k, or 18k if you buy all the wood.

I use the spare room for chests

• Elenna101

Buying the wood will cost significantly more than that (15k just for the 300 wood) since @GeekWoman is in year 2. Still, it's only about 15 trees or so. But really, the point is that the rooms (especially the empty spare room, which is a better shape than the nursery room) can be used as convenient storage areas for whatever you need storage for (chests, kegs, jars, etc).

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

and you gotta watch out to not keep clicking, as you may say "yes" if you do, after entering your bed
                  i use a mod that disables that question, so i have no problem, but otherwise, it's sometimes unexpected, if you didn't count on it

GeekWoman likes this.
                  • GeekWoman

I can comfortably say I will never buy wood. I'm a patient person and have no problems chopping down trees until I can't stand up anymore (passed out twice so far - getting expensive so I'm being more careful now). Regardless, I will fully upgrade my house eventually. I was sad that Grandpa only lit up two candles for me. I want to make him proud so I'm going to do all I can to get his 100% approval before his next visit (read up on all that). Fully upgraded house is one of those things. The extra space will be nice. I'm currently slowly reorganizing my chests and trying to make sure I'm efficient. All food and wine/beer production is currently in my small kitchen. Be nice to have more room.

• Elenna101

Quick note that "fully upgraded house" for Grandpa's evaluation only requires you to have the nursery, not the cellar. I personally find casks to not be all that useful (YMMV, details on the wiki), so if you want extra space you may consider building a couple of extra sheds instead, it's cheaper.

GeekWoman likes this.
                      • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I found the cellar to be a waste, honestly...aging wine takes WAY too long

Regarding the kids, if you have them but want to get rid of them you can visit the Witch's hut and offer a prismatic shard to the Dark Shrine of Selfishness and it'll turn them into doves. It does get rid of them permanently this way however!

GeekWoman likes this.
                        • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i know it for a long time, but it sounds so weird, getting 1 or 2 kids, then dispose of them, is why i use that mod :p

cellar is decent the way i use it, with automate mod, as i harvest the garden potted hops everyday, then when i put them into the chest, they go to the kegs i placed, and then to the many casks there, and iridium quality pale ale is nice to sell each last day of each year, as they take less time than wine, and give some easy money (i even have the mod better sprinklers, so they work inside, lol)

without mods.... i don't know what's best, maybe just using garden pots for starfruit, iron/gold watering can (better reach) and many kegs, to at least get normal quality starfruit wine, which are 2250 gold each without artisan profession, and 3150 gold each with that profession (thanks, wiki)
                          takes 7 days each, which makes it 4x said price a season

i always use the small room to the left of the kids' room for ancient fruit, which i plant in the greenhouse, giving me 1 per tile each 7 days, and automate comes with the possibility to put casks anywhere, so 8-12 kegs, the rest of that space casks and a chest to automate ancient fruit wine

you can think of many things to do with cellar, and doesn't take up space on your farm, unlike many sheds (i use a shed mod, making it huge, anyways, haha)
                          just play the way you like, and see what fits you best
                          i'm just never in a hurry with the cellar, tbh

GeekWoman likes this.
                          • GeekWoman

Thanks for the tip Elenna! I thought I had to have it completely upgraded! So that ticks off one more item on the list for a better "review". House got upgraded yesterday. Man, it's going to take some major reorganization with all this extra space! Now to finish spring and move on to fall. I'm two five star plants away from the greenhouse but can't grow them until summer/fall. Getting pretty excited about that milestone!

I'll probably eventually upgrade the farmhouse all the way just because.

Thanks so much for the help, everyone! Nice little community here for such a fun "little" game!