1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kemono Race Mod 1.5

New race and over 50 hairstayles.

1. Bandethor

Bandethor Pangalactic Porcupine

did this mod get abandoned?

2. LordRael

LordRael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hope we don't have to wait long for 1.3 compatibility.

3. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, just a quick mention - one of the broadsword recipes calls for a steel bar, which doesn't exist anymore.

Also, haven't rolled one, but I like the character designs.

4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

So... things to fix are compatibility, and outdated recipes... anyone else knows if there have been other big changes to custom races?

5. LordRael

Other than huge sprite-work things like custom mechs, no, not that I'm aware of.

6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

sprite work? is there mech specific animations that need to be drawn?

7. LordRael

Some mechs have opening and closing animations; but I don't know if any of the racial ones do. I haven't managed to unlock any of the second tier racial mech bodies. I'm using a rather dirty-edit compatibility mod from the Steam Workshop at the moment, but a proper update to the race would be better.

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Its probably a very simple fix... that neither of us can figure... I am tempted to ask a race modder for help, but hmm...

9. LordRael

Honestly, I think until we get a proper update (If/when that happens anyway), this may be our best bet: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943339163 It's the one I'm using, but like I said earlier, it's not as good as an actual update, and is kind of bashed together it would seem, as I've had a few crashes since starting to use it.

10. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

oh ill take some time and figure things out, it would be a great excuse to learn the basics of race-modding. Not soon though.

11. LordRael

In that case, good luck to you. I started trying to learn a while ago, but lost interest due to some very unhelpful people.

12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

There are a few guides, good guides wrote by those with more experience; but in my experience, people have a difficult time finding a way to properly impart their knowledge, be it by willfulness or just lack of interest. I think it matters not.

13. LordRael

I have the Modding Guide PDF that's up here, but I went on the official Starbound discord to their modding channel and was basically told "you're on your own, come back when you're on our level."

14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Basically yeah, it is a bit shameful that a majority of modders (not all of them mind you, there are some super helpful and mindful individuals) have a ... "protective" mentality? I feel they had a difficult time learning the process, and would rather have others go through the same ordeal, than help make things easier for the community to understand and process.

Of course, this is just my impression on the matter, I could be entirely wrong for all I know.

15. LordRael

Yeah, defensive is how I'd have described it too. Being greeted with "We're not going to do everything for you" on saying "I'm hoping to try and learn to mod" rather put me off trying.

16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Indeed, that is a very good way to summarize it. Ironically, this also serves to make things more difficult on the modders themselves, as they would likely get less help from the would-be learners that are now gone. Quite a Teufelskreiz this one.

I think we should cut here though... we hijacked a race mod for our short little talk on modders.

17. LordRael

Agreed. Well, I'll keep hoping for an unexpected update! I know that a custom ship was mentioned at some point after the 1.0 update, so I imagine that's part of what's taking things so long, because a ship is a herculean effort.

18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Indeed! besides, some of the best things always take a while to complete!

(still waiting on Vanquish 2... fingers crossed!)

19. catthebest

catthebest Big Damn Hero

am i the only one who got bug and crash when teleport on doing mech mission?(using kemono race)

20. LordRael

If you don't have a compatibility mod like the one I linked, yes, it will crash every time. It's in this post.