REQUEST Keg and Preserves Jar mod?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by CalaMassie, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CalaMassie

CalaMassie Orbital Explorer

Hiya! I was wondering, assuming this is even actually feasible, could one of you lovely and talented SMAPI-modder-folks perhaps look into some kind of mod that lets you decide what kind of product you'd like to make with a keg and/or preserves jar?

For example, something that could let you choose if you want to make apple juice or apple wine in the keg, and in the preserves jar you could choose between making coconut jelly or... Coconut pickles!

If not, maybe then a mod that makes a specific keg or jar that makes only each product, perhaps using the same crafting recipe as the normal ones do, but with different names to differentiate them. "Juice keg," "wine keg," "jelly preserves jar," "pickling jar," or something to those effects? I do also wonder, though, if either of these ideas would interfere with the making of things like mead and coffee...

I know at the end of the day, there's not too much of a difference between things like jelly and pickles (aside from villager gifting tastes, if I recall correctly), but it would honestly mean the world for me if someone could look into this silly idea, even if just to tell me it's not possible. I would so love to run around making and selling or giving away ridiculous things like wheat jelly or cauliflower wine!

Also, I do hope everyone had happy holidays this year, and has a happy new year as well! <3

margotbean likes this.
    • TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You would need to create entirely new items for that, which is not the easiest thing in the world.
      Each pickled / jelly / wine / juice thing is actually a separate item with an ID, they're not made dynamically during the game.
      And making Kegs specific is like... you'd need to clone the Keg like 60 times and have 60 crafting recipes for Kegs.
      The crafting menu would be a mess. Not to mention, adding new crafting recipes isn't easy from what I remember.

Chances of someone making this: Very low

• CalaMassie

Thank you so much for your input! Huh, didn't really know they're actually each specific standalone items...

Just for the sake of clarification, though, and taking that into account; I think what I would say I meant by making specific kegs and jars is to create the new jellies/pickles/etc, and have only a few machines, with each machine producing only jelly, only pickles, and so on and so forth. Not to make specific kegs and jars for each individual crop (and, with this information, each individual product) itself.

Also, again, happy holidays and new year!

• TenkoKuugen

You still want to have three-to-five Kegs(juice and wine, beer, pale ale and mead) and two preserve jars (for pickles and jelly)
          That is still adding new crafting items, new items in general (at least 1 Keg and Jar) and then you need to change the core functionality of the items.
          Just put down some jars in two locations and only make jelly in one and pickles in another location.
          In general, this seems like a really pointless idea to me.

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

@CalaMassie - for what it's worth, I love your positive attitude, and I love the idea of having a choice of product.
            There are sprites in the data files that indicate ConcernedApe had ideas for more products that got scrapped before game release. I have to think that he planned at some point to expand artisan goods, but time ran out.
            Unfortunately, he'll probably release a huge content update before I figure out how to create this mod. I'm rather limited with Visual Studio 2010 Express, and a failing hard drive at the moment. But, again, I just wanted to say kudos to you for being cheery and upbeat, despite some rather strong negative vibes in the comments. XO

CalaMassie likes this.
            • CalaMassie

Aww, shucks, you're too kind. Nothatthat'sabadthingatall. Thank you! I do hope you can get a new hard drive, or at least save all your stuff ;~;

I really am curious to see what else CA has in store. Not to sound like a suck-up, but he does seem pretty attentive to and in-tune with the fans and players, and that's actually really cool I think. Maybe if he sees people do indeed want something like this, he might consider going through with it.

margotbean likes this.
              • Jayfeather980

Jayfeather980 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe a little off topic but would that imply that the wine sprites could implemented fairly easily:
                [​IMG]
                There are also juice icons above the wine if that ever becomes a thing.

CalaMassie likes this.
                • TenkoKuugen

Turns out I was wrong anyway so don't mind me

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks for acknowledging it though! We wouldn't want someone to become discouraged in a mod idea because of assumptions.
                    I would have said something, but you got around to it first :)

Now I don't know everything about the game's machines, but my best thought is that kegs/preserve jars accept/work these items based on their category (vegetable -> juice/pickles; fruit -> wine/jelly).

If I'm right, to make this mod work, you would just need a method to change the item's category between fruit/vegetable so that a preserve jar/keg would make it into your desired product.

CalaMassie and margotbean like this.
                    • margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

You're right, and I had the same thought... right-click on a fruit in inventory to change it to a veg and vice-versa. Of course, right-click is already bound, so we'd have to choose another key... But the basic idea is right, and could be done. That still wouldn't give us apple cider or pumpkin ale, but it's a start. :)

(Uh-oh, there goes my hard drive again. ...Failing... failing... why is parcel post so slow?)

RTGOAT and CalaMassie like this.