1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Just an idea: "Background Farming"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by KitsonFoxfire, Aug 13, 2016.

1. KitsonFoxfire

KitsonFoxfire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

......Sense I can't post this in the suggestions section I'm gonna post it here...
    I couldn't help but notice you could do this with "background" dirt
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mqrvwlrtg1hkna/background tilling.png?dl=0
    SO I got to thinking. As a feature to the game or a mod, why arn't we able to farm in the background? It would condense larger farms and we wouldn't have to make so many layers on the "player level". As far as watering and planting things back there it would be the same as how we got the blocks back there in the first place. Main click for the "player level" and secondary click for the "background". I'm no coder,which is why I'm making a suggestion instead of making it myself, but the only issue I see is rain not being able to water the plants.

Even if we can't do a fully functionable farm in the "background" it might still be an interesting idea design wise and I could settle for that. What do ya'll think?

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

not sure if it can be done, but would be interesting even if for decoration. If that thing were added to the watering can, then that would make the watering can 2 handed. Me personally I don't see a problem with that, since I tend to use the can from inventory to water crops; and not usually in battle when I do. A change to the sprinklers would be needed as well the rain in order to water the background. Maybe just having a trough of water in front would help water the background. Basically a layer of water going up to a certain level; mainly think of that for an alternate way to water the background tiles in the very least.

Would be an interesting mod for sure, if it can be achieved. I myself don't know much in that area of modding, as I have only ever worked with recipes; which are a lot more simple part of modding than some of the other things out there I have seen. I think this might be for an advanced modder maybe. but yes I would love to see something like that, would be an interesting touch/addition.