Modding Help JSON exception due to avalilathe asset not being found

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by shoe7ess2, May 19, 2018.

1. shoe7ess2

shoe7ess2 Void-Bound Voyager

Hey fam,
    Need some help here.
    Finally got back into playing (and modding) Starbound and decided to mod via the steam workshop this time as opposed to other mod sites. I chose a generally small (compared to most of my games) collection of QoL mods along with a couple refinery overhauls (biggest being the Starbound version of minecraft's industricraft mod). Now because my way of modding is carelessly wreckless and I generally go about it by adding all the mods and then when the game crashes (CTDs or freezing screens mostly) I try and gauge what action I was performing and what mod may have caused it, which worked well enough to give me a stable-ish running Starbound (well, it allowed me to get to my first planet at least, past the intro). Well one of the mods adds the "Nanolathe" to all classes (asset name avalilathe). I'm assuming (again, haven't played in awhile, and haven't played it Vanilla either) this is supposed to be only available to a specific class (I'm assuming the one added by the Avavli race mod based on the avavlilathe.config). The exception, as far as I can tell, is trying to pull from an asset I'm assuming that mod adds but was not a dependency listed for any of the mods I downloaded. I'd definitely like some help with this from anyone that can look through this log file. I went and downloaded the race mod to see if it will add that asset and allow me to pull up the gui for this item and see if that fixes it in the meantime.
    Github to log: https://pastebin.com/1xyf561W
    Thanks!

2. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Did downloading the avali mod fix it?

3. shoe7ess2

shoe7ess2 Void-Bound Voyager

It did indeed. I went ahead and unpacked all 27 .pak files so I can play it without steam's launcher (for fear of an update) and upon unpacking the avavali race mod I found that .config file, in the directory it was searching for it from. It seems it is a dependency for some mod, but I've not an idea which it could be, so I'm going through the subdir's of each mod to find it and point it to another gui if possible. Otherwise I'll leave in the avavali race mod and just not use it (have absolutely no interest in race mods). If I can find the mod that throws the exception (unless it's in that pastebin, which I haven't really browsed through) I'll inform the author.

By the way, the mod that keeps adding the object back in is "Mini Crafting Tables and Other Addons" which adds in the "bootleg nanolathe", which is what the items name is in game. I'm assuming it's supposed to open a vanilla GUI. Without the Avavli race mod added in trying to access the bootleg nanolathe crashes the game because it's trying to use the Avavli lathe .config file.

Basically, on "Mini Crafting Tables and Other Addons" main page it adds this item in as an means for all races to cheaply gain the Avavli Lathe. However since there is no check to see if the mod is installed (don't even know if that's possible to mod), trying to use it without the Avavli mod added in it freezes the game (or throw an exception if you're lucky and boot you to main menu).

I'll leave this issue on that mod's thread if it does not already exist. IMO if it adds an item available from the start (at a cost of one pixel) and adds the ability to create miniature versions of every crafting bench, if someone like me who doesn't dabble with the race mods saw it I would automatically associate it as something needed to craft those items, not as an addon for a different mod entirely. Especially since it doesn't mark the Avavali Race Mod as a dependency when subscribing to it on steam and it doesn't even list the item as a main feature, just some subtext below the mod that isn't really that initially apparent, which would have eliminated about 3 hours of troubleshooting (about 7 if you include unpacking every content.pak file and renaming the folder, then putting that folder in the mods subdir in Starbound's directory, though I did that so I can play with mods that may have been abandoned after the game gets updated again so can't fault the mod maker for that).

Regardless, problem solved. Hopefully this helps someone else who may come across this issue.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I just read the mod page for the mini crafting table and other addons.. it is very misleading.