1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Join failed! Timeout while establishing connection.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MelOzone, Jan 7, 2018.

1. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

Reproducable error of "Join failed! Timeout while establishing connection." when trying to connect to my friend's game.
    Appears ONLY when trying to connect via Steam. Does not appear when connecting to the server via IP/port. Exists for 2+ months. Sometimes I can join, but most of the time I can't (even in the same day, even half an hour after connecting successfully). Relaunching the game on hosting side does NOT make the problem go away.
    Are you going to fix it at all? The game is practically unplayable in Steam multiplayer!

@mollygos

2. ispy92

ispy92 Space Hobo

Yeah I am having a similar issue in starbound and no one will reply to my posts

3. LegendXCarisso

LegendXCarisso Pangalactic Porcupine

You're not the only ones having this issue.... and I'm just trying to play a LOCAL game with my wife of all things!

EDIT: Should add context that I've already attempted to turn off my firewalls, but to no avail. Also checked my ports; all is as they should be. This again is just a local game (Y'know, the good ol' 192.168), but yet I still get this issue. No idea how to fix it either. I should also note that the server seems to take a dreadfully long time to boot up as well, with asset loading taking anywhere from 150+ - 390+ seconds when that should not even be the case.

4. MelOzone

In my experience it happens only when trying to play via Steam. Launching a dedicated server doesn't have this problem. However my friend can't launch the server because he can't do port forwarding (he has no access to network hardware). So playing via Steam is the only solution for him to host the game.

5. MelOzone

I noticed that after the last update I can't connect to my own dedicated server via 192.168.etc. However when I try to connect as everyone else (my external IP) it works just fine. Try connecting like that (you will need port forwarding on your router directing to the machine where your server is launched).

6. LegendXCarisso

LegendXCarisso Pangalactic Porcupine

Really now. Imma have to try this out.... it doesn't make any sodding sense that I can't even play locally when literally nothing has changed on my end. Like I said, Dedi launches an' all that, but no local access. Not sure about internet though; I'll report back with the results. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, I am officially confused as hell now. Now it randomly lets me connect locally now, and then the next time it decides it doesn't want to work. I don't even know at this point, -flips hands-

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018