It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What was the reason, exactly? PTT is rather standard in most games that have voice, kinda odd that they would choose to exclude it...

Though, wouldn't it be possible through some kind of audio drivers or something, to put a PTT system at the OS level, so that the game wouldn't have any control over it? If the game hears silence because something is blocking mic traffic, wouldn't that work?

2. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I think they've backpedaled on it now and are working on it but, they basically said their reason for not wanting to allow it was for a more immersive experience.

One where you heard everyone sneezing, yelling at their parents or siblings, etc.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It doesn't help that the B.E.T.A (Which was actually more like a closed beta) was of similar quality. It's as if Bethesda forgot that it was a closed one, rather than an open one; and then thought that releasing a game with pretty much the same bugs was a good idea.
    Althrough I have the impression that Fallout: 76 was already bound to be Bethesda's "answer" to Fallout: BoS, as, even without taking the bugs into account, the end result is a bog-standard sandbox survival with practically no redeeming qualities, in no small part due to the shoddy adaptation of the previous games' mechanics.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay so I bought Fallout 4 today and I only got to play 20min (blaaah work shift....)

And so far, so good! I thought I'd hate the new dialogue system but it really isn't -that- bad from the first couple conversations I had.

One thing I noticed immediately is that my character has a voice and comments on things I check and the situation. That is so awesome, was one of the first big things I noticed. I hope this continues throughout the game, and isn't just during the intro.

Can't wait to play more hehe.

STCW262, Jonesy and Roskii Heiral like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Glad you're enjoying it! The dialogue system and voiced protagonist do have their issues at times, but they're not as bad as some make them out to be. Some of the voice acting involving the main quest is quite emotional. And the VAs get to ham it up for certain quests, especially one where you adopt the persona of a comic book character. That's a lot of fun.

I'll be curious to hear what you make of the settlement building mechanic, since it doesn't sound like you've made it that far yet. It's a pretty big addition to the series, and it doesn't sound like everyone's sold on it. But I have a lot of fun with it when I'm in the mood. Certainly helps that I installed the Sim Settlements mod on my latest character, which has breathed some new life into it.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I had to leave off during the intro as I only played 20 minutes. Last thing I did was kill the first radroach in Vault 111.

But yeah I rather like a protagonist that actually talks. One of the things I liked about Tomb Raider 2013, is that Lara was fully voiced and one of the things she did was she would make comments about things that were going on and it made it feel so much more real. Perhaps because I also talk to myself when I'm alone RL too lol.

Yeah I know I'm crazy.

But a character doing it in a game makes them feel more real.

EDIT: The base building and settlement thing sounds awesome though my creativity isn't.... hugely good. But maybe doing it in a first-person environment where I'm forced to interact with the stuff in there, might inspire me to make buildings that are actually functional and liveable.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  7. Jonesy

I talk to myself a fair bit as well. It's perfectly normal. Or, at least, that's what the voices in my head tell me.

The settlement building can be a lot of fun. Even if you're not that creative, you should do okay with Sanctuary Hills since there's a bunch of pre-war houses you can furnish. Even as you unlock new settlements, it's not hard to put together some basic shacks. You can always expand later with more creative designs.

I'm curious, though; did you get any of the DLCs? Vault-Tec Workshop and Wasteland Workshop have a good selection of settlement pieces that will make your life easier. Vault-Tec Workshop even lets you build your own vault to boot.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I got the GOTY edition, so yeah, I Should have all the DLCs AFAIK.

And the presence of some buildings already there is a nice plus, glad to hear that. I didn't get a chance to play any more of it just yet, but should here soon! Looking forward to it.

9. Jonesy

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So, I played it for a few hours this morning (hoping to get a few more in here soon mebbe after supper), and I got to the first settlement and there's just something... oddly special about seeing your old home again, but ruined and with inter-actable objects. It's a weird sensation.

I did a little building, had minor trouble trying to find enough food to satisfy the first settlement for now, but eventually got it.

It took me awhile to learn how to actually place objects in some reasonable fashion, lol. I feel a popup that explains the controls for placing items and how to assign people might have been a good idea, because it took me nearly half an hour to figure out how to assign somebody to the guard posts.

Still haven't found out what the scavenging station actually does, lol. Hopefully somewhere along the lines it says what that actually does.

But I did eventually figure out most of the basics behind how to place stuff, though the controls feel really wonky; I feel that the menu should be click-interactable... but I keep grabbing things instead of navigating menus because I expect to be able to click on the menu items, and having to constantly reach between mouse and enter is a bit clunky feeling. I will probably eventually get used to it, but dang it feels awkward at first.

That, and... I can see why I've read things about people saying that the snapping nature of items sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.... was trying to repair a fallen part of fencing around the garden area... picked up a fallen part of the fence, but could not get it to go back into the obvious hole it was in originally before it fell, no matter what I did. It finally tried to attach itself to a nearby fence.... in completely the wrong direction, lol. So now I got a garden area that has two "gates" and the one gate looks a bit odd. Might tear the whole fence down and re-do it, but I'm worried that I will bork it up even worse.

EDIT: Also, I need to rebind the melee attack button. Left Alt is *really* awkward when doing WASD+Spacebar play. I'm thinking maybe the "F" key? G? or heck maybe one of the buttons on my mouse...

11. Jonesy

If you assign a settler to a scavenging station, they'll generate junk items in the settlement's inventory over time. It's not much, but it's a nice little supplement to what you're bringing in through looting. And it can be a cheap way of reducing unemployment.

The snapping can be annoying, but the fences in Sanctuary Hills are a nightmare. Doesn't help that you can't even build more picket fences until you find a magazine later in the game that unlocks them. You might want to consider replacing them with wire fences, though. They're a little easier to deal with.

As for the melee button, it's shared with the grenade button for some reason. I've thrown a grenade at my feet more than once while trying to melee. Be careful not to hold the button down while meleeing.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ouch.

I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for that. I will likely not equip grenades until/unless I actually intend to use them for a particularly difficult fight, then unequip them right after.

And yeah those fences seem to just be.... yeesh. Outside of some aesthetics, I don't think that they'd really be that big of a deal just yet, so I could probably wait. I think most likely tho I'd want to fence around the whole settlement, unless enemies can break fences down?

Kinda wish you could move the cars (to make some of the most epic impenetrable walls, like the ones near New Vegas), but sadly they are yellow and it's either leave them be or scrap them, it's kind of hilarious that one car gives you the same amount of metal as a stove + one or two small objects lol.

13. Jonesy

Just make sure you don't scrap any of the crafting stations in Sanctuary Hills. You won't be able to replace them until you get a mid-game charisma perk.

You can eventually build walls around your settlements, but it's pretty resource-intensive. I find that concrete walls are the most flexible, along with some scaffolding to allow turrets to fire over them. I'll have to post some screenshots of my latest Murkwater Construction Site build. It's a veritable fortress.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay one thing I couldn't figure out.....

I keep finding junk items, and the game tells me that they can be broken down into materials, but I can't figure out how to do that. I've got stuff like toy cars, lighters, etc sitting in my workshop storage, but there is seemingly no way of breaking them down into their components, like for example gas cans break down into metal and oil, lighters have springs in them, etc...

I've been dumping junk in the workshop station, but otherwise can't figure out how to use the stuff.

15. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I actually had that problem when I started it a few weeks ago myself. The junk items can't be broken down directly, how it works is that they count as those items when you try to build something and they're either on your person or in the settlement storage. This works for both the settlement building itself and when you're making or modifying things with the workbenches. So an aluminum can for example will count as the aluminum it scraps into without having to go through a separate step.

16. Jonesy

The process is automatic when you use the materials. As long as they're sitting in a settlement workshop or your inventory, they'll be broken down as needed.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oh. The game doesn't tell you that unless I somehow missed it.

I imagine it'd be kind of hard to keep track of what all you have, then? I mean if I pull up the workshop inventory list and I see I got 50 toy cars, 200 wood, 30 tin cans, I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out how much total wood/metal that is?

Sounds like it'd been easier if you coulda just dumped them in a machine or something to scrap them like you do the stuff laying around out on the open, but that's just me I guess hehe.

But anyways I suppose that solves That mystery.

18. Jonesy

Ladies and gentleghouls, I present to you; my Railroad character's settlement at Murkwater Construction Site!

Fallout 4 Railroad Murkwater.jpg
    The majority of the settlement is built on concrete platforms, providing some flat building space above the treacherous swamps of the southern Commonwealth. As an added bonus, building plots in the Sim Settlements mod snap to the platforms as well, keeping things a little neater. There are a total of six residential plots and three commercial plots (a bar, a general store and a clinic), as well as three interior agriculture plots inside the greenhouse. Other points of interest include a small barracks built into the ruined house, a fortified bunker containing the generator, a small workshop area (obscured by the two-storey house to the left of the image) and a small room for the Sole Survivor (containing a bed, desk and fireplace, obscured by the bar in the upper centre) of the image). I also built a large spike from the list of raider decorations, and placed a couple of lights at the top to turn it into a beacon. Might move it to the top of the greenhouse for added height, though. It's easier to see some of the power pylons from a distance at this point.

Sadly, settler pathfinding has been completely borked, and the lack of space between some of the plots have meant the upgraded buildings block off intended alleyways between them. But overall, I'm very proud of this settlement. I've always loved Murkwater for its location, and the ability to build a safe haven in the most inhospitable (and dangerous) part of the Commonwealth. But this is the first one I've built there that looks like a true fortress and feels like an actual town trying to make a go of the unforgiving landscape.

Xylia likes this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Cool, hehe.

So I did some more questing and combat, and I can definitely say there's some cool things going on, but I really need to switch keybinds around... I keep getting killed because I keep hitting V for VATS but for some weird reason, they decided to change V to switch view and they made Q for VATS and that just seems all weird because I'm used to 3/NV.

I was also starting to get worried about making bad perk choices, and I asked myself 'what's the max level....' and I was very relieved to find out there isn't one.. whew. Okay now I can take whatever I feel that I need at the time as I grow, that's such an awesome system compared to 3/NV where you had a limited amount and that was that. No more. Though I kinda wish I had known not to grab the SPECIAL book at the beginning of the game, but oh well. 1 SPECIAL point above 10 I doubt would make or break the character, to be honest.

Also I noticed cool little things like ghouls stumbling around when they're shot, or even falling flat on their butt, slowly crawling to get back up, giving me plenty of time to fill them full of lead.

I also love the gun modding system. So much awesome. Getting an awesome weapon and then having, what, some 30 odd different ways of configuring it to do exactly what you want it to within parameters is cool. Do I want faster firing, or more accuracy... that choice is up to me, and I love that. Maybe I'd keep 2-3 pistols on me, one might have a scope and the other would have a bayonet on it for me to use in close-quarters, etc.

I really like that idea. I think here soon I'm going to revisit some of the places I cleared out and just haul a ton of crap back to the workshop, I'll be needing it...

EDIT: Oh, and the Dog... So I rarely if ever use companions in these kinds of games... because I hate it when they get in my way, I hate it when I accidentally shoot them instead of the enemy, etc... but dude, the Dog... he's just savage. Seems he likes ghoul meat, the way he loves ripping the throats out of all the ghouls I almost-kill.

STCW262 likes this.
  20. Jonesy

That's weird. I thought VATS used the V key. I must have rebound the controls years ago when I first started playing.

And yes, you can boost your SPECIAL stats over 10 by using one of the stat-boosting items. You can still put off using the bobbleheads, although there's one in the Concord museum you may have already used. The Vault-Tec Workshop DLC also adds several furniture items that give you a permanent boost to one stat when you interact with them (until you interact with another of the items; you can only have one boost active at a time).

The weapon modding system is awesome all right. Especially since you can kinda bypass having to take the modding perks by swapping out mods from weapons you find as loot, but you'll still want to invest in those perks. Some mods (especially for power armor) are easier to just build from scratch than to try and find as loot.