It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I have a quest team which consists of Sarah Lyons, Star Paladin Cross and Scribe Rothchild, which makes sense seeing as they're all Fallout 3 Brotherhood characters. But I've also got one consisting of Jericho, Moira Brown and Preston Garvey, which was almost a full Megaton team.

I've assignment the additional Sarah Lyons to wasteland exploration, and my two Three Dogs to the radio room. I also got a Colonel Autumn the other day, but I don't know what I'll be doing with him. Probably train him up and use him for exploration too.

2. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I made paladin Danse with the salon and a few crafted equipment , I think he is quite close to the original TheDanseFloor.png

Parrotte, Roskii Heiral and Jonesy like this.
  3. Jonesy

Damn, that is pretty close. I haven't touched the character customization much, but I'd be curious to see who else can be pulled off. I might try and do Sunny Smiles from New Vegas sometime. Red ponytail, leather armor, hunting rifle, voila.

4. 777JackOfBlades

Yeah it should be very easy

5. Jonesy

Should probably have mentioned this sooner, but I'm in the process of replaying New Vegas. I was originally going to do a cowboy-style character following Mr House, but ended up doing a cowboy-soldier hybrid working with NCR. While I admire House's long-term thinking, his priorities don't seem to include the wellbeing of the common man. Perhaps I'll side with him on a future playthrough.

I did also get the Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal DLCs for the first time, costing a while three dollars. The Stash is a bit average, since almost all the equipment is meant to be good in the early game and I was well past it when I installed the DLC. But I'm having a surprising amount of fun with GRA. I've been making good use of the Medicine Stick, which is especially powerful since I took the Cowboy perk, and I'm hoping to get the GRA Anti-Material (which, unlike the vanilla version, can be upgraded in a few ways) and have it replace Ratslayer as my sniping weapon. First, I need to complete Lonesome Road to get the bonus SPECIAL point to spend on Strength, so I can take the perk that halves its weight.

Speaking of which, last night I was able to finish Lonesome Road, which is the first of the major DLCs I've completed on this character. I'd forgotten how much of a slog The Divide is, and just how deep the themes were. And then there's what happens with ED-E at the end... :(

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  6. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I still haven't tried tale of two wastelands, I'd still like to (since I enjoy both 3 and NV seperately). I've also found some Fallout Shelter mods, I'd like to explore putting Callistans into Shelter.

7. Jonesy

Headed into the Tribal Village near Goodsprings today, and a bug caused all the corpses of the tribals and Fiends to spawn alive and hostile. So, for half a minute there, I had a sort of zombie apocalypse situation on my hands. But with Boone and ED-E at my back, it was easy enough to deal with.

Also took that perk reducing weapon weight, and have started using the anti-materiel rifle. It's... good. Powerful, but the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. It has a skill requirement of 100 Guns and a Strength requirement of 8, where I only have 90-something Guns and 7 Strength. I'm holding off on spending more skills points on Guns, since there's at least one or two skill books left in the game that I haven't read and I don't want to waste them. And I know that in Old World Blues you can get a permanent boost to your Strength as well, so that should help as well. Guess I'm just going to have to make do with a little less accuracy until then.

And I also got around to massacring Caesar's camp, which is always good fun. Made a small fortune selling the loot. Even managed to complete two of the Gun Runner's Arsenal challenges, 'Even a God-King can Bleed' (cripple Caesar's head with a spear) and 'Historical Propriety' (kill Caesar with a knife). I was disappointed I couldn't do the 'Against All Tyrants' challenge (kill 10 named Caesar's Legion characters with Ranger-themed weapons) because I only installed GRA after killing most of the valid NPCs, so being able to kill two birds with one stone made up for it.

8. 777JackOfBlades

True , I remember doing the quest were I upgraded the securitrons , then I put some C4 in Caesar's pockets . Waited for him to give me the xp for the quest then refused to do the next quest for him , get insulted and ... ''this is where the fun begins'' : detonate the C4, watch Caesar flew into the air and landing behind the walls :nurucool:. Kill all remaining legionaries inside the tent with a shotgun.
    And after that I killed everyone in the legion camp , brainwashed childrens soldiers included (thanks killable childrens mod :up:)and only left the womens(slaves) alive.
    I enjoyed every single minute of that massacre. It was good fun

9. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

The thing I miss most from New Vegas is Caravan xD

I was really hoping someone would add it to Fallout 4

General Nuclear likes this.
  10. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Say, I have a bit more time in my hands and want to -finally- finish building the teleporter, do the whole thing, yadayadayada... and finally do Nuka World, any tips before I taken on such an errand? also, I know you are supposed to be quite british and plant flags all over the bloody place. Is it a good idea to assign the gang I will enjoy killing the most (Disciples) everywhere, then turn on them to extend the skirmish as much as possible? granted, ill stash a healthy amount of ammo and rockets in my hammerspacial pockets to be ready for literally anything!

Also, I got a legendary Fatman... does rad damage... might be better than I give it credit for, who knows?

11. Jonesy

Should probably have mentioned this earlier, but I recently did a new playthrough of New Vegas. Has its ups and downs, but I'd forgotten how much fun the game could be. Just a shame there's a level cap, since I've been having a lot of fun experimenting with new perk options (e.g. ditching Swift Learner and Lessons Learned while taking both Cowboy and Grunt). I did find a console command that changes the level cap, but it resets whenever the game is loaded. There is a mod that increases it to 100 (and gives you a perk every level too), which I might try sometime. But since I've run out of non-repeatable content for the most part (and seems to be far less repeatable content than Fallout 4), I might save that for a new playthrough. I was meaning to side with House instead of NCR, but I abandoned that halfway through. I'll have to stick to it next time.

If you're going to go postal on the raiders, be sure to bring power armor and a weapon with either a high rate of fire or high base damage (if not both). Be wary of explosives, because there are going to be friendly NPCs present who may get caught in the crossfire.

Start by massacring people in the main park, before moving onto the gang headquarters later. Since they're located indoors (i.e. separate game areas), you have the opportunity to return to base to resupply and offload loot between areas.

Also be sure to tune in to the raider radio station, because the DJ flips out when he realizes that you're killing them. He flees for his life (albeit off-screen) because he just knows they're not going to be able to stop you.

As for who you give the parks to, I used to give them to the Operators because I like their decor the most and thus wanted to see it at the various park camps. But if you hate the Disciples, you can give all the parks to them. Just bear in mind that means the parks will have camps containing their decor.

Corraidhín likes this.
  12. 777JackOfBlades

killing these raiders in survival is tough shit, even in normal they're litteraly tearing apart your power armor, and doing this will also turn Cage hostile.
    Did any of you actually completed the cappy letters puzzle yet ? If you haven't you should it's one of the best quest in the dlc

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ugh, I will not do that then... their utter exaggeratedly and distateful use of offal is nothing short of laughable, not to say their metal elephant helmets... fine! Operators and Pack all over the park, at least it will look colourful! also I just remembered I have a set from BoS... should come in handy! plus some X pieces... though that would give it a rather variegated look.

Putting those animals to sleep is gonna take some effort, but what of... side missions? I know most of the missions are raider related, so I will have to pracitce my machievellian poise and play to at least enjoy the soiree, but is there more to it? treasures off the beaten path? a legendary weapon or two cunningly hidden in between two rather inconspicuous barrels? I... have really bad luck with legendaries, I haven't found anything noteworthy in Boston, not doing Far Harbor yet, and I would like to rid the land of less-desireable company before I sojourn to the island.

14. Jonesy

Most of the sidequests are tied to taking over the parks. There's also the ones where you find the hidden Cappys for Sierra Petrovita, collect medallions from the various rides for NIRA and work with the Hubologists. I think all of those can be done after wiping out the raiders, provided that Sierra and NIRA aren't caught in the crossfire. There's also the quest where you collect the star cores in order to access the Quantum X-01 power armor, but you need to turn the power back on (which you can do immediately after killing the raiders) before you can complete it, since there's a core located at the top of the spaceport elevator which needs power to operate. In fact, once you turn the power back on, you can also access the bottling plant bunker and begin building a settlement at the Red Rocket gas station.

There aren't a huge number of locations not tied to the quests. There's a couple of farmsteads, plus the Hubologist camp. The haunted house is about the only true dungeon, though the junkyard and Gunners overpass camp come close as well. But there is also a fair amount of unmarked stuff, so you'll find enemies to fight and some minor loot just by wandering around. But again, nothing you'll miss out on once the raiders are dead.

Your best bet is to work with the raiders until they ask you to start raiding the Commonwealth. You can refuse, but that simply means you won't progress any further until you agree. That's the best time to wipe them out and remain a 'good' character.

STCW262 and Corraidhín like this.
  15. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahhh I see, very convenient then! nothing I can actually miss out, nothing I will miss, sweet! I will do NIRA and Petrovita's tasks before I lunge at the raiders (starting with the disciples). By the sound of it seems ill do a lot of travelling.

Edit: So I am preparing for the trip to bandit land and realized that I do not have many companion perks (Nick, Codsworth and Curie), I found Danse being Danse in the middle of nowhere so I decided to moderately tolerate his company; is his perk any useful? is someone else's perk worth getting? someone suggested Mccready but I cant stand a military-bounty hunter prat with a ludicrous cap.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  16. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I know I'm late to the party, but Fallout 4's weird difficulty scaling is starting to annoy me.
    Between my Wattz laser rifle (mod) and Ada with a gatling laser and assaultron head, while playing on very hard, nearly everything just dissapears in front of me.
    Except for things like boss creatures, Gunners, Radscorpions or Far Harbor creatures, who seem to be a little bit more resilient. As in, they suddenly start taking half to whole clips, sometimes even at face value.

At the same time, two days ago I had a bog standard raider survive 2 whole clips of a deep dish/auto fire Gamma Gun while having the Commando Perk nearly full. He then proceeded to threeshot me with a pipe revolver.

I'm also going with the Brotherhood, but although I like Proctor Quinlan, I'm having a lot of trouble liking the other characters or the Brotherhood in general. I know that the guys in Fallout 3 were a pacifist splinter group in comparison to the average BoS, but still...
    ...something's just... off...

Also in between the True Storms mod, Enhanced Lighting mod, and the bright red color an Assaultron laser head emits, my game turned kinda STALKER-ish two days ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Jonesy likes this.
  17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

The original West Coast brotherhood from fallout 1,2 and new vegas also known as the So called ''outcast'' couldn't care less for anyone or anything they just want to collecting dangerous technology and doomsday devices so they won't fall in the hands of someone stupid enough to use them, also they don't let any outsiders join them unless they got a really really good reason to let you join. We hated them but they where those guy you love to hate type, if you remember how they made you take on the master alone to let you join them after naging at them but it turns out it was actually just a joke and they are like Holy BAT S***! we where just joking, but *Beeep* that crazy maniac actually did it How somehow what the *beep*?!....... but your still not joining us >xD
    The east coast brotherhood you just really strongly dislike because of so many reasons and they are more of destroy all technology! rather then salvage it for a brighter future when mankind is ready for it, also death to all mutants?. Who are you, the enclave?.

Also for some reason i can't help but think of the stone cutters clan from simpsons when i think of the West Coast brotherhood.

also the chosen one we played in 2 was actually the only outsider that was allowed to join the brotherhood back then. sounds a bit familiar but its mostly just a happy coincidence.

oh how i would love to see some dialogues with two paladins where when you ask one of them about anything about related to the brotherhood the other will always cut him through the dialog halfways and just say ssshuut up, its suppose to be a secret. exsept for one time when the other guy is drinking a nuka cola and you get the change to cut the first guy through and say ssshuut up instead xD

Also if you somehow manged to find a alien ship with one of them close by they will just respond with 'it was weather balloon' 'but that was a ail..*he puts gun his close to your head* 'I said IT, WAS, A, WEAHTER, BALLOON! Do you understand!'

Parrotte likes this.
  18. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I actually like the Enclave, even with their Imperium of Man-like attitude of "Purge the Unclean", although I would like to see them use their heaps of technology and actual army experience for the good of the wasteland rather than only themselves. Surely they must realise they can't sterilize the world on their own? (Although in between the eradication of all 3 Enclave strongpoints during the course of F2/F3, and everyone's distrust or outright hatred for them, I guess that's not going to happen anymore.) I also like their power armors better and am sad that the base F4 doesn't include the Tesla Armor.

I don't know why I dislike the BoS in Fallout 4. I think it's something with the whole way they're portrayed in the game. They come in with the Hindenburg 2.0 (There's actually a post somewhere on the internet that lists a bunch of characteristics they share with WW2 Germany), they have Vertibirds by the million which they need because they're made out of sturdy cardboard, I've watched power armored Knights jump out of said Vertibirds whom promptly went to town on raiders with wooden boards or even bare fists (Although that was funny to see) and they basically seem like a bunch of incompetents with access to a lot of technology.

Also their leader is a fanatical jackbottom.

[​IMG]
    Like, what is going on here...

Do have a couple of mods, which make them seem a little less weak.
    [​IMG]

I dunno. I am enjoying the game, sure. But I find the factions to be a bit dumb.
    You literally have the choice of the unbeatable optimists, closet Nazis, the boogeymen or the faction who's hated by everyone. Huzzah.
    At least Yes Man in F:NV allowed you to wipe out everyone and make the Mojave an independent state.

STCW262 likes this.
  19. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

you could also go with the canon minutemen ending in which you prevent the war with the railroad and the brotherhood and take out the institute alone also you don't join any factions other then the minutemen.
    you just need to get the minutemen in war with the institute its the best ending but it could still have been much better.

Also The east coast brotherhood uses a lot of outdated technology compared to the west coast brotherhood which explains why everything falls apart if you just sneeze on it, that comes from them from everything to power armors to weapons to helicopters. and yeah i know they got the bluesprint from the enclave but seeing on how they aren't able to upgrade their tin can plated T-45 power armors up to the much better and more efficient t-50 power armor which you don't need power armor training to operate(also lore wise you wouldn't need to change power cores with those). then i get why they can't build a sturdy decent runing helicopter.

Also the X-01 shouldn't even exist because it is so lore breaking it is clearly a advanced enclave power armor and they couldn't figure out how they would put in the enclave in fallout 4 after we destroyed them in fallout 3 so they just scraped that idea and kept the armor and instead just figure they would do a miley cyrus wrecking ball on the lore just to piss of the old fans and say that it was pre-war and invented by nuka cola before the t-45 and that it was more advanced. they could just have said that it was from a enclave outpost because there was hundreds of them all over the united states x(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    STCW262 and Parrotte like this.
  20. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Yeah I'm not sure on that yet. I'm taking the Minutemen as backers for the teleporter building thing. The Railroad doesn't interest me much. Do want to play an Institute game when they release a synth bodymod.

I remember the "East Coast" Enclave Vertibirds taking quite some damage before breaking down in Fallout 3. However in Fallout 4 they fall from the sky when anything gives so much as an angry glance at them. I know they were altered and made lighter so they could lift off with power armored soldiers in them, but it's ridiculous. Also, although the BoS in the Capitol Ruins used T-45 power armors, in Fallout 4 they use versions of the T-60b armors, so surely they must've had some improvement.

Actually, the base X-01 armor WAS made before the Great War by the Government. It's why the Enclave has them. The one in Nuka-World is a special, altered variant. I do like how a soda company had access to it while the whole of America was crapping their long johns in fear of Red spies. Also that they had the technology and materials to improve upon something the best of the government had made.

Also on the topic of power armor, those fusion cores are a joke. They power entire buildings for 200 years without losing charge, but 5 minutes in your power armor and you've got a dead battery.
    I also found 3 power cores in the footlocker of someone working at the Federal Rations Stockpile building.