It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Doesn't seem dead, it just made me start playing again!

[​IMG]
    HEAVILY modded, don't see this as vanilla!

STCW262, Higuera and Roskii Heiral like this.
  2. Jellyman

Jellyman Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm...
    i have think this topic full name was "Its all over but the scavenging divers are again attacking Hylotl city"

Higuera likes this.
  3. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Well, here it is. I don't think that it's our best one becouse I wasn't in it much 296740577381187584.png

We do have some better ones, especially the interview with Chris Avellone that's getting a rerecording soon.

General Nuclear likes this.
  4. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Why did Bethesda make:

1.) Quantum so easy to find? You can farm them in the beginning area

2.) Adhesive so hard to find?

3.) Why can you go past the map(I think this is really strange because there's still an invisible wall!)

5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

My guess is they wanted people to stockpile drinks for the future release of nuka world (if we were back in 2014)

Or maybe just a full heal remedy to have at hand, this game can play the "random enemy can 1 hit you" game sometimes.

STCW262 and Waffle-Chan like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

1. Probably because loot respawns now. I don't disagree with the move, but it means a lot of stuff that was traditionally rare can be found in greater numbers than before.

2. Because literally every equipment mod uses it, meaning it's going to be in short supply. That, and it's a mid-tier component alongside oil and screws, which is rarer than things like wood and steel but not as rare as fiber optics and nuclear material.

3. I don't understand. You mean how the Glowing Sea extends past the boundaries of the map? Probably just ran out of space, or wanted to maximize the amount of non-Glowing Sea locations they could fit in.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

8. Jonesy

A tad off-topic, but I've been thinking about getting ESO a bit more. I was even on UESP planning out a character, when I realized that it would cost me $25 on top of the base game price just to play as a Khajiit in the Daggerfall Covenant. Turns out you need to purchase a specific piece of DLC to play as any race for any faction, and the DLC is priced in premium currency in a way that you need to buy more of it than is necessary to get said DLC.

So, the alternatives are to play as a Khajiit under the totally not fascist Aldmeri Dominion, or not play as a Khajiit. Neither option is acceptable.

9. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

How about the actual game? >_>

10. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Yeah, my brother and I were seperated during the beta, it was really annoying. I'm not sure how much has changed since then. The main draw of ESO for me is playing as a werewolf (go figure). Its just everytime I think about playing, I get this sinking feeling when I start thinking of all the limitations of MMOs.

If you guys start, do let me know. I also don't think I could be an Aldmeri thoughX3

11. Jonesy

I have my priorities!

Yeah, I suspect it's something that'd remain at the back of my mind too.

Though it's possible I could play as an Argonian. That wouldn't be so bad.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  12. General Nuclear

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Continuing on the off-topic just for a BIT! but... the Dominion is not so bad, specially if you consider the fact that you can keep an eye on them... make sure they rascist ways are dealt with (with blood) and as a bonus, you start in some bloody beautiful places!

(and also because ill stab you if I find you in Cyrodill, JK!X3)

edit: ehem, fair warning though, Zos is known for their greed... they like doing "lets put something really nice, and can only be bought with cash, oh also only for FOUR days" if you use Steam, I would recommend waiting for a sale, Morrowind is coming soon, maybe they will lower prices on the base game, ensure max dlc sales etc etc... you know, corporate minds and all that

14. General Nuclear

15. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

ScreenShot12.png

Wanted to get a better picture of my character in, with my curie!!

@Jonesy
    Please forgive the double post, but its been a few days and this is genuinely a new post. Thanks for the tip about oxhorn videos! I love his style and the depth that he explores the universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

@Arnust
    I tried to watch your podcast, and I'd like to offer some constructive criticism. If you would rather not have any, please ignore this post.

A little background: I usually listen to podcasts while I work, so I have a pretty high tolerance for long videos (even if they're repetitive) because the podcasts is not what I'm directly focusing on. Usually, I'll put something on about games or listen to Joe Rogan. I enjoy long podcasts because it means that I won't have to change videos often to keep working. So, when I saw that you had a 4 hour video centered around the fallout universe, I was excited.

....Until several minutes in. You guys started off saying that you weren't going to beat the dead horse of fallout 4 and then did it continuously for about 20mins. So, I skipped ahead, thinking that you'd change topics and the topic was still how much you hated fallout 4. I then skipped three more times to discover that (hilariously) the hatred of fallout 4 was the subject each time I started listening.

Maybe you guys could find someone to put on to challenge the group consensus? Or find a new topic to discuss? The fallout universe is pretty expansive and, as I've started listening to Oxhorn, you can find so much content in each game to explore.

I understand your dislike of falllout 4, as I've mentioned before I felt very similarly about oblivion when it was released. When there's a game you really love (like Morrowind for me), its easy to see the games that follow as perversions of the game you love. You've spent alot of time here railing about bethesda, but they've honestly added alot of great content to the fallout universe. I'd personally take the Outcasts/ Lyon's Pride/ Zetans/ Institute etc over the Powder Gangers or Caesar's Legion any day, but I stil find things I love in each game.

Example: I mentioned how silly Caesar's Legion seemed to me, but I found the character of Caesar himself to be really interesting and present a moral dilemna for me. There are great stories to be found in each game. If you honestly can't find one in fallout 4, I would have a hard time believing you even looked.

------------------------------------------------

I'd like to leave a really cool video I watched today. I highly recommend it:

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
    Corraidhín and Jonesy like this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

So what is the overall sentiment towards FO4? I enjoy it very much, though I am just a simple fox. I can always find the good, even in what would be otherwise repentible things... people often seem to foulmouth FO4 but to what end? they loved the living blue blazes out of previous titles, and it led to this. If they are un happy with the results, the origin becomes the issue, not the current problems.

Also a bit off-topic, I am on the last chapter of the main story in ESO... the game might be run with a lot of "Pay to Win" tactics (not entirely forced on you I should add, but they do make the journey noticeably sweeter), but the game has a ... likeable story! sure, a lot of the characters are bloody bleak, weak and otherwise make me want to push a knife up their throats, but the game, fights and so are really enjoyable, certainly worth trying at least. Get the game on sale, purchase a month of membership, and see what you think (play without sub for a week, then decide if thats your cuppa tea)

17. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Eh... just ask away, I guess. The most objective fault I find is that, while not as bad, it has the Watch_Dogs deal of "let's mismash N things that are popular right now, nevermind the core concept, story, balance and everything".
    So we had RUST, Far Cry, Skyrim and a little spoonful of Fallout New Vegas. But If I wanted any of that, I'd play those respectively. There wasn't the huge amount of craftables, the varied mechanical freedom of Far Cry, the vast world of Skyrim, the perfect balance of cRPG and Action RPG and all, and not even Mods.

That other statement is also weird. It's fault of the legacy? How so? it's not like this was an "attitude" striaght out of nowhere. Fallout 3 and Skyrim got a lot of the same, but the games' mediocrity wasn't so sore.

Sotty for the late response, it's been a while.

Thank you for bothering! But oh believe me, this is our weakest episode. It was quite rushed and 75% the participants chimed in at the last moment, and I had to leave 1/3 in. I really want to give the other games what they rightfully deserve. Added to that, the last segment shoud have been left out entirely. You're lucky you didn't hear it. Still, we're a very low profile one. It's not even on ivoox or itunes yet.

If you want to give us amother chance, I find most of the others way better. The most neutral one being the MCA interview. The others also followed show notes, kind of. Boo had a huge list for Nuka World.

But what you have to understand is; NMA has gone on for 20 years. We've said EVERYTHING that there is to say. And while the games still offer some discussion and there's always some other little thing to debate for a while, we're returning to hibernation. The reason why Fo4 was such a letdown to "us" there, among many, many, MANY others, is that there really isn't much to talk about. Dissapointment is a fuel that can only last so long, and its mod scene is the least productive and with less potential of all of Bethesda's games. Like, if you said "say something you haven't yet", I couldn't, besides telling my own story I had with it.
    Added to that, the future of the series is more uncertain than ever. Will Beth still go on as if nothing happened? Is this the last game? How many years is it going to be? Could the miracle of New Vegas happen again, or should we settle in that it surely won't?

Maybe.

There's still things happening. There's a slight of hope in this E3. The "Project Brazil" and "The Frontier" total conversions for New Vegas should be around ready this year. People still come for different reasons and drop their two cents, ask or even suggest a thign we hadn't thought of yet. Alternatively, thay say something retarded and we fight until there's one standing, getting great points in the way. Brother None said that, NMA will exist as long as the Fallout franchise exists. We've got enough baggage to get interviews with these people. We're plotting on what, how and when will be interview Brian Fargo, before he leaves the industry. Hell, we'd try to get some Bethesda people if they did interviews with smaller mediums at all, haters or not.

Anyway, the last thing there. The strongest hate, comes out of love sith reference here, but really. Nobody, and I say NOBODY went hating. Hell, I had fun. Less and less. Until, looking back, well- there was nothing to look back to.

Now niggles, I'm gonna ignore what you said because I love you. How any of these besides the Outcasts even account as... something, it's beyond me.

The feeling is that Fallout no longer is

but

Which is perfectly fine, but... why had it to be Fallout? Of all IPs, was this one that had to let behind all what wa sabout in exchange for gameplay that isn't that big of a deal either?

Anyway, counter rant over. Sorry for seeming that I didn't care about criticism.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  18. Jonesy

There was an image macro going around a while ago saying something along the lines of "It's a good game, just not a good Fallout game". That seems to sum it up pretty neatly.

Personally, I'm not too fussed over it. There are definitely areas that need improvement (namely quest depth, faction-wide choices / consequences, dialogue quality, settlement benefits etc.), seeing as Bethesda seems to have a tendency to make two or three steps forward and one step back. But that still means there has been progress (especially in gameplay, weapon modification, graphics and the like), and it's overall quite a large and content-rich game. It just doesn't hit quite the same heights it could have otherwise.

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ah I see now, I suppose this would have been far more obvious if I had discovered the franchise with New Vegas instead of FO4. I do have to agree on the choices subject, 4 options with all leading to the same result, might as well just allow me to skip forward to the action and skip the needless haberdash. Believe it or not, I am still exploring the commonwealth, and have not build a SINGLE settlement (I still havent picked up on the failed teleporter from that other time), and found an... unexpected fellow in a submarine.

20170522201526_1.jpg

Nice fellow, havent completed his quest yet though. So I hope I do not have to shoot him anytime soon. Anyways, FO4 might not have met everyone's expectations, but what game does? if its fun, its fun! and this one has quite a lot of surprises!

20. Jonesy

Just found a picture of Arthur Maxson without his beard. Makes a huge difference, especially since it made him look 20 years older.

[​IMG]

Higuera and Roskii Heiral like this.