It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I would really like to follow up on Fawkes, Star Paladin Cross, Charon, Three Dog, etc to see how they handled the Brotherhood's metamorphosis. I really don't see them going along with the changes very well.

"Helping the people of the Wasteland is of the utmost to the Lyons Doctrine."
    -Star Paladin Cross

I really feel like she especially would be fighting back (if she's still alive). Maybe there's a new set of Outcasts?

If you remove the fusion cores when you leave the armor, this isn't a problem =3

Higuera likes this.
  2. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I honestly don't get how Maxson turned to this when he was raised entirely by the Lyons brotherhood. For random reasons, he suddenly went full on bigot and "hurr durr mu technolgoy", when he should have been considerate and open.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Makes you wonder. It sounds like Rivet City got its reactor taken away to power the Prydwen, so the Brotherhood is clearly putting itself before the well-being of wastelanders. I don't imagine Underworld is doing too well, or Tenpenny Towers if what'shisface took over.

I also recall someone's DLC idea that had Sarah Lyons survive her apparent death, which in their case was a vertibird crash in the Potomac. She'd come back as a ghoul, but you wouldn't initially know it was her because of her power armor. Now, it'd probably be better suited to a mod.

There was interference from what's left of the West Coast Brotherhood, as well as people within the East Coast chapter that weren't sympathetic to Lyon's ideals.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  4. Roskii Heiral

[​IMG]

Can you imagine Outcast Armor with the Lyon's Pride emblem? This is DLC I'd be happy to pay for xD

I really liked Sarah and Cross. The whole East Coast Brotherhood was a really interesting twist on an old series idea.

Yeah, Maxson was really young when all the power shifting was taking place and was initially just a figurehead to unite the East Coast with the Outcasts since he is a direct descendant of Roger Maxson, but grew into the position. I think it shows his ability to adapt to some pretty horrible conditions that he was able to maintain his newfound power and continue the Brotherhood's growth.

If Sarah did survive, she may be one of the few people that he looked up to enough to talk some sense into him.

Higuera and Jonesy like this.
  5. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I understand what you're saying, but the East Coast Brotherhood was said to have lost contact with the Western chapter. Plus in New Vegas, you learn that the Western chapter is really not doing well these days. As for the exiled ones from the East coast, they are small and there is infighting in them. Then you consider that with Project Purity and the Enclave's defeat, the East Coast Brotherhood is now pretty much a powerhouse and the real power in the Capital Wasteland, but is also a benevolent faction led by a good elder and whose most likely replacement once he can't lead anymore is someone just as good (Sarah).

I fail to understand how Maxson just turned it all back around when he was raised by those people, in an environment that's turning good for the most part (assuming you're going good karma, but even with bad karma, most things you do ends up making the wasteland a better or at least safer place). And then, when Maxson comes of age, out of nowhere, he kicks Sarah out, take over, reinvite the exiles, crap on the wasteland's inhabitant that have probably prospered at this point and takes everything for the brotherhood. It's so random and unexplained. How was there no opposition this his regime is beyond me.

I get that the point of Fallout 4 is that there is no "good" faction, each one having a good side but also a bad one. Brotherhood wants to make the wastelander safer, but wants to kill all non-humans, Institute want to advance humanity but at the expanse of...well, humanity, Railroad want equality but thinks more about synth than people, and minutemen are good but annoying. And yet, in all this, I really wish the Brotherhood were the good guys and that it was Sarah leading them, wanting to spread the good they did in the Capital Wasteland to Boston.

6. Jonesy

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sarah was murdered to prevent her from keeping Maxson moderate. The timing's just too convenient for her opponents. And seeing at the Brotherhood apparently went through several ineffective elders between her and Maxson,

Imagine if the Sole Survivor knew Roger Maxson from his time in the military. Wasted opportunity for some great dialogue.

"You knew the great Roger Maxson?"
    "Oh, old 'Dodger Roger'? Yeah, I remember that wuss. Gave us all a good laugh."

STCW262, Higuera and Roskii Heiral like this.
  7. Roskii Heiral

AHHHHHH!! They need to make this happen nowX3

Yeah, "Nate" never really mentioned anything about where he was stationed, did he?

It would make sense if Outcast sympathizers killed Sarah (or made her disappear/go into hiding) that they'd make up a story about her death. The scribes would only record what they were told about it. Maybe Cross could be hiding with her, if I remember right she was a cyborg (think Kellog) so her lifespan could be extended.

He didn't kick Sarah out, the report of her death came before he "came of age." He took over as a last ditch effort to restore the Brotherhood after several other tried (and failed) to take over. When he restored the old traditions of the Brotherhood, he attracted the Outcasts to his cause. I'm not sure how the Wasteland faired during all this turmoil within the chapter, but I doubt they flourished. The Brotherhood was the only peacekeeping force in the area.

8. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Well, before Sarah died, I assume the wasteland was doing good considering everything we establish in the game. We basically defeated all the worst threats so I can't imagine that a restored and powerful brotherhood that is into helping the people would result in a worse wasteland. And my point kinda still stands, Maxson was never raised into the values of the old brotherhood, so I don't get why he was suddenly so adamant to restore them. I'd imagine he would be more willing to continue the work of the Lyons. I seem to remember he admired Owen and had a crush on Sarah. It seem odd that he would undo everything they worked so hard to do.

Makes me wonder if there's not someone else actually pulling the strings.

9. Jonesy

Nate's unit is stated at one point, and it's the 2nd Battalion, 108th Infantry Regiment. IRL, that's a part of the New York National Guard. Roger Maxson was on the west coast, but it's possible Nate's at least heard of him.

STCW262, Higuera and Roskii Heiral like this.
  10. Roskii Heiral

Maxson admired the Lyons, but many in the citadel were not happy about the change in direction. This is referenced several times if you spend much time there. Knights will murmur about it, Owen himself is aware of the discontent from many of his troops. It would just take one moment where his life was in the wrong Knight's hands.

Maxson was only 11 in Fallout 3, he also was born on the West Coast. So, while he liked the Lyons, there was plenty of oppurtunity to learn about the old ways. He may also have been personally invested in the Maxson legacy, since it was in his lineage. He probably had a romanitized idea about the glory of the West Coast brotherhood, since they were strong when he left with Owen.

Its not too hard to imagine that he had plenty of time to develop affection for the West Coast way of doing things. Also, don't forget that he did keep a few of the changes made by Lyons (and even believes he's still doing what's best for the wastelanders).

Higuera and Jonesy like this.
  11. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Well, maybe I just miss Sarah Lyons. I'm still not convinced it's normal in any way that he made such a huge turn over like this, as I think he would normally have been more moderate. I just really wish to have seen a mature Sarah at the command of the airship.

12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I am pretty sure they cannot steal them if there is no fusion core, though I may be wrongX3

edit: oh my, seems I missed quite the brotherhood moments! so Elder Maxson as we know him in FO4 shouldn't be the megalomaniac zealous narrow-minded git we know?

13. Jonesy

No, in Fallout 3 he appears as an 11-year-old sent from the West Coast Brotherhood to learn the ropes under Elder Lyons, and also has a crush on Sarah Lyons. Since both Elder Lyons and his daughter are killed shortly after the events of Fallout 3, he get caught up in a political shitstorm and emerges as the man you see in 4. The debate going on is whether those events justify him returning to so much of the traditional West Coast ideology (e.g. secure dangerous technology to avoid abuse, purge mutants, etc.) while holding onto comparatively fewer of the Lyons' ideals (e.g. helping the people of the wasteland, secure areas from outside threats, etc.).

Roskii Heiral and Corraidhín like this.
  14. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

Pretty much from what i got was a case of "reunite as much of the brotherhood as possible to regain strength" or the "sacrifice for the greater good" thing, even if it wasnt actually a good outcome Also possible he blames the East Brotherhood Ideology for Sarah's death

Roskii Heiral, Jonesy and Corraidhín like this.
  15. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

So here's a sentence because I was reminded to do so.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Corraidhín likes this.
  16. Roskii Heiral

lol, yes, preston and I need to live in seperate places xD

(you should at least post a sentence with videos)

like this!

17. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Ah yes, I had completely forgotten about that little rule. My bad.

18. Roskii Heiral

Been Hanging out w/ my BoS buddies tonight

ScreenShot5.png

Found a fun Yes Man shirt xD

STCW262, Higuera and Jonesy like this.
  19. Roskii Heiral

I hope this thread isn't dying! I just found it!

I got a pretty close resemblance to the old scribe outfit, mixing with the new
    ScreenShot8.png

What do you guys think? (oops, I forgot to make my shoulder armor invisible. sorry for the clipping! i'll replace with a better one)

Jonesy likes this.
  20. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Gonna roll the podcast in like 2 hours. Haypu.