It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

What boggles my mind is that "missing content" is ever thought as a bad thing. Missing content makes so that you want to replay it to see it. Even Skyrim does this, and as mediocre as it gets, I do want to try and see more (mods included, otherwise scroo that). Fallout 4, I've seen everything that I needed to see. Making quests repetitive results in one ever being enough.
    You'd always have that "thing that happens when you do the other thing", and it'd be genuine as it's attention to detail, invaluable in all artistic creations. That line of dialogue, the low INT run, trying and antagonize everyone. Makes you remember why you love/like that game.

It's not really naming NPC's and giving them some lines. It's making that theirs is a story, be it personal, the town's or even the world's. The Novac NPCs all feel like a strongly knitted community, yet SOMEONE sold Boone's PREGNANT wife to slavory. Who can it be? You talk to everyone and have a conclusion, walk them in front of the dinosaur with the beret on and that'll be the last night they'll see. There's no fail state. Only Boone has different reactions, the more heartbreaking making him kill hsi best friend Manny Vargas. There's even a place fot your PC to be a psychopath, and not in the "hurr durr I get more caps for being mean" but doing something VERY fucked up.
    Dialogue is the answer, you don't have ever to whip out a gun in that quest, "One For My Baby". It's YOUR own story. Maybe believe No-Bark's wise words? https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.ne...ustAMan.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20130623234159
    Maybe do the detective work? Or be an asshole and line up whoever like the least? Maybe the figuere of importance on the town, the Motel owner knows something?

Yeah, trying to fix up the walls a bit, the Mancave (that lacks the T-51 becouse level scaling. Argh.), some store and furniture and it was full before that.

2. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Haaa someone's quite smitten! Also I like your idea, if he shows up in Elsweyr as the next game, a LOT of players would be really pleased!
    "you are taking us somewhere warm I trust" yes! to HOME!

Considering the way Beth has worked with both Hearthfire and Fallout 4, I think its more to be expected to meet the final form of combined forces into the next ES Installment, the rebellion of Elsweyr! (here's hoping)

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Fixed that for you.

Elsweyr would make for a good turning point in the greater plot, too. The Empire could help the province break off from the Aldmeri Dominion, which could help even out the balance of power. If Skyrim and Hammerfell ally with the Empire (even without necessarily joining), then things could be set up for a final battle during a game set in the Summerset Isles.

Hire me, Beth.

Corraidhín likes this.
  4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Lol damn, you dont play hard to get!

Also, the overall idea fits with the events in Skyrim! all those mentions of rebellion and the mane... and the krenjiira krin! if they dont notice how perfect it all fits together I am gonna move to America and paint their walls entirely with cat faces!

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

1. The first fallout game I played was Fallout 3, but I own and have played them all.

2. My favorite so far is probably Fallout 4. I know it gets alot of hate, but they added so many fun features. And as always, the modding community has been awesome. Fallout Shelter is a great mobile experience as long as you're not trying to get something too engaging. Its pretty fun.

3.Fallout 4:
    pros:
    -Power Armor feels like power armor.
    -I really like Hancock and Curie
    -I enjoy how the Brotherhood is no longer a force for pure good. Though I do miss the Outcasts
    -Excellent modding community
    -I love building a pad and making a terminal on it to play holotape games. Playing a game within a game!!

I don't really feel like putting in the cons now that I've arrived here =d

4. Honestly, Bethesda has done a great job with the series. I know they've received a lot of hate lately, but I generally approve of their creative desicions.

Its cool to see a Fallout thread on here =3

Corraidhín and Jonesy like this.
  6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

wait, what sort of hate? I am not a fan of some aspects of Nuka World (having to join raiders etc etc) and the story being forced on us to just be the goody two shoes we may not want to be... were things that bad? or is there something I am being absol-utely oblivious about?

7. Roskii Heiral

There are a lot of people that were angry at fallout 4 on release. Most of them were big fans of New Vegas and couldn't accept that you could enjoy both =d

If you search around on youtube you can find most of them.

Jonesy likes this.
  8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

eww youtubers, Ill stay on the commonwealth ty! I hear so much praise from NV, if they love it, thats fine by me!

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  9. Jonesy

It has its flaws, certainly. In fact, Bethesda does have a bit of a tendency to take two / three steps forward and one step back, which isn't anything new. People used to think Morrowind was a step back when it first came out, and now it's the poster child of the series that competes with games that came out a decade later.

10. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

I am. Ask me, NMA, or 20% of r/fallout's users, approximately.

It's not even hate, it's just... so mediocre. So unmemorable, white noise. What makes it fun for you, I can find in pretty much any other game that actuyally uses that as a mechanic. RUST, Borderlands or the Sims. Nevermind RPGs, that's even unneeded, to repeat that song.

I can't find one aspect, not one, that was pure good, zero problems. The whole thing could have used an euthanasy at least SOME of the care Beth puts in The Elder Scrolls. I enjoyed the BOS entrance, Curie's spanish VA and the starting sequence until I looked back on it, and jesus christ. Liking earnestly THREE things in a 60$ game with 7 years of development from an AAA studio, is a tremendous failure, not even bringing up belonging to the franchise it's supposed to.

On modding; out of Fo3 (which people jumped boat to NV being an objectively better game to mod, simply), Fallout 4 has the worst modding scene of modern Bethesda games. The sheer amount of people modding for it does offset this, sort of, like it did with Skyrimon the day. But Bethesda, driven by stupid greed and incompetence, they go and release a capped tool 8 months later, and the game being so horridly hardcoded in the first place, makes it just eh. Not to mention that, while it's not as bad as Skyrim, the half of NexusMods' main page is babe/nude mods. The big modders like Millenia or Someguy just left modding or came back to Skyrim or NV, cancelling their projects. And mind that Total Conversions are nigh impossible, the engine literally can't barely stand other overworld than the vanilla one, even the altered map from the FROST mod makes a mess on the optimization and stability.

Now no offense, but most of the people who really really liked Fallout 4... are "tourists". Sure, you ha dgreat fun! It is a pretty enjoyable game, after all. But when the next game of the type, be it TES VI or whatever, you'll go there and then to the next. You got what you wanted, a more streamlined game with more cool things to see and not miss. But then, you leave, and Bethesda has already mad eits money, everyone's happy, right?
    Yeah, but what about the fans (people eho has played and replayed the games in the series for all this time)? What do we have left to talk about and play? Fallout 3 but with updated visuals and shooting gameplay?
    Are we stupid for lashing out to who calls us stupid for shoving in our face how dissapointed we are and moreover, putting it over, any, of the other games?

It's funny how in NMA, around a year and a half later, we just don't even feel like talking about it anymore. Everything that was there to be said, good or bad
    mostly bad has been said already. And that's sad for a Fallout game.

11. Roskii Heiral

You didn't enjoy the exploration?

You didn't enjoy building? This is the first game you could make your own mark on the wasteland.

You didn't enjoy the fact that by the end of the game you could have a vastly different wasteland than when you started?
    -Crashed Prydwyn
    -Nuked Institute
    -Expand other factions to settlements
    -New fortifications you built yourself

You don't enjoy actually stepping inside power armor and it working like you only could have imagined before?

You don't enjoy the improved combat?

You don't enjoy modding existing weapons and creating new ones?

I actually ignore the opening sequence and make up my own story, because the tools for roleplay are just so numerous.

Like @Jonesy said, Bethesda has a tendancy to take two steps forward and one step back, but they are always moving forward and making great games.

When they released Oblivion, many people reacted the way you are now by championing Morrowind, but even with its flaws its a great game that you can still pick up and play now. I'm saying this as a huge fan of Morrowind. I used to stay up for days exploring every inch of that island (and Solstheim when it was released). In fact, my favorite part of Oblivion was the Shivering Isles Expansion and part of that was because they brought back a little bit of Morrowind with it.

My main point is, you can have a favorite title under the Bethesda umbrella, it just looks silly when you pretend that one of their games only has three enjoyable things in it and the rest is forgettable.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Fallout 4 wasn't a bad game it had fun game play and great combat mechanics but it wasn't really a fallout game more of a fallout themed one for numerous reasons. but mostly because of the dialog system and the lack of options.
    it will stay as non-canon in the eyes of the old schoolers and the fo3 and Nv fans.

...Unless bethesda would releases a new dlc, with a following uptate that would gives the players more dialog options and choices and no lethal choices for the main quest story (just remove the meaningless *maybe* as a option), tweaks the endings a bit and gives a bit more info on what happends next aftherwards for our actions, fixes the lore breaks (should be really simple), adds some rpg elements not just shot those guys then shot those guys clear out that area and bring me back my rusty spoon from that safe in there.
    And most important, the ability to convince preston to take up the role as the new general for the minutemen but that we still have the change to join or just help them out one in a while, and that we can still own our own settlements but not all of then (this would actualy put a moral in there about too much control for one man. (us i mean if we would try to be the general).

but that wont happend because (in their eyes) they wouldn't make much money because most of the players that bought the season pass so all newer dlcs would be free for them. (also the main reason i didn't buy the season pass)
    also we gave the players what they wanted in nuka world (to be evil...just evil) but it wasn't that popular

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Soooo I was exploring the glowing sea... got into a few Deathclaw close encounters, eviscerated one in a way I didn't think I could and found this really weird pyramid with unused warheads at the bottom...

Oh I also found this weird wreckage.

20170416172743_1.jpg

a Vertibird wreckage with nothing interesting at all... I suppose it makes for an interesting landmark... maybe, possibly... perhaps

Roskii Heiral and Jonesy like this.
  14. Roskii Heiral

Just out of curiousity, @Corraidhín and @Jonesy , what mods do you use (if any)? I have a few I can't live without, but I'm always curious to see what others are using.

15. Jonesy

I haven't used many, since I've been sticking with Bethesda.net. At the moment I'm using Conquest, which allows you to build a campsite anywhere on the map, and even upgrade it into a settlement. As a result, I've been able to found settlements in places like Virgil's Cave and Nuka Town USA.

I'm also using Orphans of the Commonwealth, which makes a portion of your settlers children. I thought it would be cool for immersion, since there are so many settlers and raiders around but hardly any children. But gameplay-wise, it's a bit tedious since they have unskippable dialogue and can't do everything an adult settler can, so I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

Sometime, I might look into getting some external mods. Namely Sim Settlements, which might spice things up if I ever finish my Railroad character or start a Brotherhood of Steel one. There's also a mod that changes the way settlement defense is calculated, but I don't know if that's actually for PC since Bethesda.net only has it listed for Xbox One.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  16. Roskii Heiral

Sim Settlements is a great quality of life mod, if you have a few settlements you don't care about as much.

It sounds like the Orphans of the Commonwealth would pair well with the No population cap mod. So you can have kids and not suffer too much. The unskippable talking would still be an issue though.

I've recently been trying the Visible weapons mod, because I missed seeing my weapons holstered really bad xD

I'm currently attempting to build a spaceship-like house at the Drive-In. Its been pretty rough, but if you'd like I'll share the final product.

In my headcannon, My character is a Callistan that crash landed on earth in the fallout universe. He's had Nate's memories implanted in his mind for unknown reasons, and suffers from hallucinations as a result.

Jonesy likes this.
  17. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I preffer to avoid mods unless they are cosmetic, I am extremely fickle when it comes to anything else... so for the sake of my own sanity, I will NOT get myself tangled like I did in skyrim (which I ve been tweaking even recently)

The mods I currently use (and hope list never grows)
    -Mosin Nagant
    -Curie (longer hair, I cannot stand short hair) (also just recently discovered the near-overwhelming-cuteness of Curie)
    -some face mod I forgot whats called that prevents people of the commonwealth to do the dumb cartoony faces Beth designed

Jonesy and Roskii Heiral like this.
  18. Roskii Heiral

This is the Curie I use:

[​IMG]

I can't help it, I love modding x.x;

Corraidhín likes this.
  19. Jonesy

I'm romancing vanilla Curie on my Institute character. Slightly squicky when you think about it, but I think it still works. Nothing says 'nice Director' better than one who's in love with a synth.

On my main Minutemen character, I'm romancing Piper and Cait. It was originally going to be just Piper, but I got so invested in Cait's story that I felt it was time she found someone to love.

Roskii Heiral and Corraidhín like this.
  20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

... *snarls* short hair ...

ill upload a picture of Curie, one moment...!

Cait is a bro, she'll break the arm and leg of anyone in front of my only (for now) settlement with unique hilarity! (built her a great baseball bat from the world league's souvenir find)

(I want to change her face, though I still have to find a way of how...)
    20170416201916_1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Jonesy and Roskii Heiral like this.