Modding Discussion Items recipes not showing in game without the use of admin.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Andreal_Vox, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Andreal_Vox

Andreal_Vox Void-Bound Voyager

I have a couple items that don't show up in game unless I use the admin command. I'm stuck, some of my items will show up without the use of the admin command, and they were added the exact same way as all my others.

Does anyone know what is the reason why some recipes don't show in game? Obviously the game DOES know it's there since going in admin clearly shows them, so the games know where they should be. Why don't they show? What's stopping them? What makes them stuck in admin mode? Please anyone, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Did you patch player.config to teach players the recipe? No? Then that's the problem.

3. Andreal_Vox

How do I patch player.config? I only edited a copied player.config within my mod folder. Please Help.

4. Mirau

Mirau Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm actually a bit curious myself. I tried the usual player.config.patch method with a:

[
    {
    "op":"add",
    "path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-",
    "value":{"item":"newrecipe"}
    }
    ]

However I got nothin'. Not sure if syntax had changed for 1.0?

5. Mackinz

You did dirty edits of player.config? :(

Make a file called player.config.patch in your mods folder. Open it in a text editor. Copy the thing @tehl33tjim posted above and replace 'newrecipe' with the itemname value of your desired item. Save it, load the game and test.

6. Mirau

So wait - this won't work for custom recipes? For example - just making a new recipe that gives 100 torches for the same cost of one - the recipe works in admin mode - yet if I make a patch file using the new recipe's name as the item:XXXXX I still can't access it without admin.

Any work around for that?

7. Mackinz

That's the problem. Player.config doesn't check recipe filenames. It only checks itemnames.Your issue is caused by assumption, and your torch recipe should show up regardless.

8. Mirau

You're right. It doesn't check the recipe filename - therefore once I set the custom parameters in the patch itself everything works as it should! Thanks Mackinz!

9. Andreal_Vox

Ok, so I made a new file, player.config.patch, entered only this:

[
    {
    "op":"add",
    "path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-",
    "value":{"item":"voxblade"}
    }
    ]

And the item still doesn't show up in game without the use of admin. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I did remove my old dirty edit of the player.config

10. Mirau

Is your player.config.patch in your root mod directory?
    Also do you have a voxblade.object created, as well as an appropriate .recipe ?

[edit]
    For example:
    ../Starbound/Mods/VOXBLADEMODFOLDER/player.config.patch

11. Andreal_Vox

yes I have an object and recipe, the patch file is in the root folder. I don't know why it doesn't show without the use of the admin command. Everything else must be in the right place if if shows up with admin right?

12. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Is your console.log file showing any errors? You can find that file in the storage folder.

13. Mirau

And lastly, in the recipe itself, do you have the appropriate groups listed?

For example; if you want a craftable item to appear in your spinning wheel's clothing tab, you would have:

"groups" : [ "craftingwheel", "clothes" ]

Usually placed after the output object(s).

14. Andreal_Vox

I half give up on this, as far as I can tell I've done everything everyone has said with no results. I have no idea why some recipes show in game and others don't, the same process was used for everything. So I'm baffled as to why some of my items show up just perfectly and others choose to not show up without the use of admin command. I guess I'm okay with just cheating the items in, it takes away from the immersion and requirement of materials, but if it's the only way they'll show in game. I'll do it. Sucks, but I'll do it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks for trying guys, maybe I'm just a super nub.

15. Mackinz

Post your mod and we'll find the issue.

16. Andreal_Vox

Ok, so I had a friend read over everything you guys wrote here, and somehow was able to explain to me more clearly what you all meant. I do apologize for being so defeated over this issue and for any inconvenience I caused. The problem was where you said, "Player.config doesn't check recipe filenames. It only checks itemnames." I somehow misinterpreted that and got confused.

17. Mirau

So is your mod working properly now?

18. Andreal_Vox

Yes it is thank you. Now I just have to do some research to see whether or not you can combine alt abilities on a sword haha

Mirau likes this.