Modding Discussion Item, Weapon, And Armour Coder Needed...Again

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by TheCreeperCyborg, Mar 11, 2016.

1. TheCreeperCyborg

TheCreeperCyborg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another Mods?!? Jesus Creeper Slow down, I Know I KNOW! but i got lotsa artwork needed to be grafted into beauty :3 This mod Will Be Called, :diving:Diver's Revival:diving: and will basically ad in new (cool looking) sets of armour that substitute for the "Breath Protection " Implant :hylotl:, and be good armour :pfff:. Tier One Will Be a Diving set, a Simple Snorkel and tank, Tier Two Will be The space Suite, "Not Meant For water, But still More Covering,"
    Finally: tier 3, it will be a Deep Diving Suit With Good protection, thats all ii got for now, i seriously need coder to help me ot here.... please

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Adding armor into the game is rather easy. You can just copy any other armor set and rename them, then substitute in your own sprite sheets. No coding involved.

Technically, most mods consist of zero coding at all. JSON is not a programming language.

ZimaZang likes this.
  3. ZimaZang

ZimaZang Cosmic Narwhal

As lazarus said, making armor and weapons is fairly easy in Starbound. In fact, Starbound is a great first step into modding and understanding file structures in general. I'd highly recommend checking out some tutorials on it.

Besides, if you learn how to mod it yourself, it will be a bit easier to debug it should any problems come up.

4. TheCreeperCyborg

Ok, Could you Walk me Through?

5. lazarus78

blade shaterer likes this.
  6. TheCreeperCyborg

7. ZimaZang

ZimaZang Cosmic Narwhal

While the guide he linked can be a bit overwhelming, it does still contain a lot of useful information. I would first look into figuring out how to unpack the assets and play around with the files from other mods to see how files are configured.

8. lazarus78

Nothing? Then you didn't try. You posted this an hour after I posted the link. There is no way you went through the entire thing and practiced what it covered in that little time.

ZimaZang likes this.
  9. TheCreeperCyborg

look, i'm simply an artist, coding and all of that crap is too overwealming for me, i simply just art, thats my thing, i'm a "team player" i guess you could say, i'm not independent

10. ZimaZang

ZimaZang Cosmic Narwhal

There is almost zero coding involved in Starbound modding and 99% of the mods here involve no coding whatsoever, it's simply changing config files. The main issue you're going to run into is that since it can be done so easily, is that it's going to be a chore to find anyone who is willing to use their free time to make someone else a mod.

If I sound a little harsh about this I apologize, it just seems like you want something done without giving it a go yourself.

If you're willing to give it a go however, I can try to provide a brief explanation:
    The first thing you should do when making a mod is unpack Starbound's assets. This can be done with something like ModPackHelper: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/upbeat-giraffe-win-linux-modpackhelper-v0-9b.92473/
    It takes a little bit of time to fully extract though, so give it a bit.

Next, I'd recommend downloading other people's armor mods and looking at how they are assembled. If you compare the mod's folders to the assets folder, you'll start to see a lot of similarities. This is because when mods are loaded, the game basically counts mods as an extension of the assets folder. For example, in the assets folder is a sub-folder names "objects". If you were to look into the folder of a mod that adds some objects, you'd probably see a folder in there named "objects".

Here's an example from my own mod:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously, a simple armor mod would be MUCH smaller than what my mod is, but the general concept is the same. Mods just mimic the assets folder, but do so adding their own files on top of the existing ones.

The best way to get into making a starbound mod is to copy some stuff from the assets folder and start editing the configs. It can be a bit time consuming at first, but once you get the hang of how things work, it'll be extremely easy. Another way to learn is to reverse-engineer someone else's mod. Make edits in it and see what they do just for the hell of it, ect. Just remember not to actually publish an altered mod, as most mods have their assets protected under copyright law.

And finally, if you get stuck on something while making said mod, 9 times out of 10 Google will solve your problems.

Outside of this, there's not much more I can do. If you do find someone willing to make a mod for you, I've got nothing against it. I'd just recommend trying to make it yourself as it will be far easier, and you'll be able to do things your way.

Anyways, good luck!

lazarus78 likes this.
  11. TheCreeperCyborg

look, it just doesen't make sence to me ok?

12. ZimaZang

ZimaZang Cosmic Narwhal

No worries, I just wanted to try to provide you with the means of doing it yourself. The chances of finding someone to make a mod for you are pretty slim, but good luck regardless.
    However keep in mind that you won't learn anything without trying. Practice makes perfect.

lazarus78 likes this.
  13. lazarus78