1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Item Tier List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reciful, May 25, 2013.

1. Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

If anyone here plays League of Legends and has heard of Reign of Gaming, surely you've heard of those champion tier lists. If you haven't, tier lists are simply a concept where people sort some element of a game by how good it is. I was bored today and I felt like making one for Risk of Rain's items, so here you go.

Remember, this is all my personal opinion. It'd be interesting if some of you could make your own tier lists for other characters (since Commando is the one I have the most experience with.)

NOTE: I'm not trying to create the end-all be-all of lists here. This is purely to show my opinion on specific items. I encourage you all to create your own, especially for other characters (I'll put them in OP if someone does), and if you can manage to convince me to move some item then I will do so. Also, remember that this tier list is for Commando, as certain items are good on him which aren't good on other characters, and vice versa.

S - Godly. Once you get one of these, you're set for the next level or so.
    A - Powerful. Great items to have, but not necessarily gamebreakingly powerful.
    B - Useful. Good, but sometimes situational.
    C - Mediocre. Not bad, but not particularly good.
    D - Probably a waste of money if you hit that golem shrine five times before finally getting something.

My Commando Tier List
    ------[S Tier]------
    AtG Missile Mk.2
    Boxing Glove
    Brilliant Behemoth
    Happiest Mask
    Heaven Cracker
    Old Box
    Shield Generator
    Unstable Watch
    Wicked Ring
    ------[A Tier]------
    Alien Head
    AtG Missile Mk.1
    Ceremonial Dagger
    Fireman's Boots
    Infusion
    Jar of Souls
    Safeguard Lantern
    Soldier's Syringe
    ------[B Tier]------
    Burning Witness
    Concussion Grenade
    Foreign Fruit
    Gasoline
    Golden Gun
    Guardian's Heart
    Harvester's Scythe
    Leeching Seed
    Lens Maker's Glasses
    Panic Mines
    Paul's Goat Hoof
    Prison Shackles
    Rapid Mitosis
    Rusty Jetpack
    Shattered Mirror
    The Hit List
    Ukulele
    ------[C Tier]------
    Barbed Wire
    Beating Embryo
    Disposable Missile Launcher
    Fire Shield
    Instant Minefield
    Massive Leech
    Monster Tooth
    Mysterious Vial
    Prescriptions
    Rusty Knife
    Sprouting Egg
    The Back-up
    Toxic Worm
    ------[D Tier]------
    Bustling Fungus
    Drone Repair Kit
    Explorer's Key
    Life Savings
    Lost Doll
    Pillaged Gold
    Smart Shopper

ShroobLord's HAN-D Tier List

------[S Tier]------
    AtG Missile Mk.2
    Brilliant Behemoth
    Happiest Mask
    Alien Head
    Soldier's Syringe
    Golden Gun
    Lens Maker's Glasses
    Rapid Mitosis
    Fire Shield
    Rusty Knife
    Mysterious Vial
    Sprouting Egg
    Prescriptions
    ------[A Tier]------
    Guardian's Heart
    Boxing Glove
    Unstable Watch
    AtG Missile Mk.1
    Wicked Ring
    Ceremonial Dagger
    Fireman's Boots
    Infusion
    Jar of Souls
    Gasoline
    Harvester's Scythe
    Ukulele
    Leeching Seed
    Barbed Wire
    Beating Embryo
    Monster Tooth
    Toxic Worm
    ------[B Tier]------
    Heaven Cracker
    Old Box
    Burning Witness
    Concussion Grenade
    Panic Mines
    Rusty Jetpack
    Prison Shackles
    Shattered Mirror
    The Hit List
    Instant Minefield
    Massive Leech
    Life Savings
    Smart Shopper
    ------[C Tier]------
    Shield Generator
    Foreign Fruit
    Safeguard Lantern
    Explorer's Key
    Bustling Fungus
    Pillaged Gold
    Lost Doll
    ------[D Tier]------
    Paul's Goat Hoof
    Drone Repair Kit

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Oh wow, the game's not even out yet, and people are already analyzing the metagame.

I have to really disagree with you on Bustling Fungus, Explorer's Key, and Pillaged Gold. Bustling Fungus deserves a C rating, if you know how to use it properly. Explorer's Key might need to go up to C or B. Pillaged gold definitely deserves at least a B, if not an A.

I think some of these items' positions on the chart are emotionally fogged.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Like I said, this is all personal opinion. In my experience, the three of them have proved to be useless to me due to the lack of benefit in actual combat. Maybe I really don't know how to use Bustling Fungus properly because I sure as hell have never found it useful when fighting mobs. :/

I've also found bonus gold items pretty useless past the 2nd stage as the mobs already begin to drop significant amounts of gold. In fact, I've never run into any money issues past then. But that's just my opinion. :)

• Gimmesoup

Gimmesoup Void-Bound Voyager

Bustling fungus? Don't make me laugh. That item only activates when you STAND STILL AND DON'T ATTACK OR MOVE. Sure it helps if you want to get regen WHILE STANDING STILL and wasting your time.
          As for Explorer's Key, it's useless except in the first 30 seconds or so of each map, as is Pillaged Gold. If you're properly destroying mobs in your route around the map while modifying said route to accommodate funds, you won't be on a shortage of money unless you're wasting huge amounts on RnG statues. (Which is time consuming and costly if you fail it too many times)

Of course, these items are great if you absolutely must go AFK or if you're not very good at gathering money and maneuvering around the map.

disclaimer-iknowisoundlikeahugedickbutimnottryingtobeimsorry;-;you'reallgoingtohaetme

• Treadlight

Items like the Bustling Fungus or the Sprouting Egg seem to be too picky to be particularly useful without a lot of them. 2 seconds is too long to have to wait, and the Sprouting Egg's definition of "in combat" is very unusual.
            It's fine, I find the Bustling Fungus to be useful only in specific cases. Which is pretty much only on the second stage. The gold items really only help if you are trying to avoid combat.
            Okay, to explain a specific instance of the Bustling Fungus being useful: You are on a platform with a ladder/rope leading down to another platform which has a ton of monsters on it. The monsters all attack at different times, so avoiding damage is extremely difficult. The max amount of monsters has already spawned, so you can go back up and heal before fighting some more.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Whoa, there's a mob cap? I had no idea. :whoop:

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Seems like a good list, but it's hard to say for sure as most items tend to work well together
                Still very cool to see lists like this already in the making :D
                (Also totally disagree with ya opinion on Life Savings :3)

• Orionthefree

Orionthefree Lucky Number 13

I'd have to say I pretty much agree with a lot of this. Except to me I'd upgrade Jar of Souls to A tier, that item has saved my bacon more times then I can count. Also when you have a crowd of ghost Rock Golems clapping on a boss its health just siiiiinks. So sweet. If it gets paired with the lowered cooldown of Rapid Mitosis then you can actually end up have 2X the number of enemies on screen as a ally ghosties. Which while we're on the subject of ghosties I'm not so sure I'd call the Happiest Mask an S-Tier item. Its like, at late stages of the game when ghosts via the Jar of Souls really shine, enemies don't die fast enough for the Mask to be useful, and when they do its en masse and then you just have a bunch of ghosts around. So to me it'd be an A tier just because I look at it and think "Man I wish you were a the Happiest Jar instead."

Choo! Choo! All aboard the rape train!

But seriously I'd upgrade it to A, and downgrade Panic Mines and Rusty Knife to C. Panic Mines just don't do enough damage to be worth it and I'm not really ever happy to get them from a chest/drop or mis-timed selection. As for the Rusty Knife while extra damage is always nice it doesn't make enough of a difference to me (again, personally) to be worth it. I'd really like to say Soldier's Syringe is great enough to be S because, I'll be honest, its my favorite item next to the Alien Head. However, it doesn't do enough on its own to warrant game-breaking, that only happens when you pair it with the any of the items in the S list. I've had 2X BGs and 4X SSs and let me tell you, nobody could really get close after that. :p

But I digress; the syringe isn't powerful enough to be S as much as I would like it to be. The Alien Head I think... well, its like this: when you only have 1 it doesn't break balance but after that its another story.

Also my two cents in the Bustling Fungus I have to agree that I'm not a fan. The only time I ever like having it is for the health shrines and that's it. I'm never standing still enough to make use of it otherwise. Any time I get it from anything I am so, so sad. The Explorer's Key I like for a the first 3 levels or so but I'll ditch it as soon as I see my best friend Jar of Souls.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Yeah, I think I'll move Jar of Souls to tier A, what you said makes sense. Also downgrading Rusty Knife. I'm tempted to put Soldier Syringe in S tier due to the fact that it synergizes with a LOT of the items in the game. That's also its downfall; it requires the right items to be useful. When paired with a Boxing Glove or Ukulele or something similar, it becomes ridiculously powerful, but since you have to have some other chance proc item to abuse the attack speed I'm going to keep it in A tier.

I've always found on-kill items to be extremely powerful, due to the ability to start chain reactions. Also late game there are hordes and hordes of mobs; I think Jar of Souls and Happiest Mask are on the same footing there. However, there's that difference of active item vs passive, making Happiest Mask more accessible.

Obviously there is item synergy here and there with Rapid Mitosis and whatnot but there's NO way I'm ever factoring every possible combination in. Never. That's just way too much effort. :yeahhhh:

• Orionthefree

Orionthefree Lucky Number 13

Yeah I agree with you that while in my personal experience with the Mask it hasn't been near as helpful as the Jar, I also admit that it is more easier to use more often give that you're killing things. On-kill items are extremely powerful when they cascade into other deaths and once you get a bunch of them its just a cloud of death noises and money. As for the Soldier's Syringe like I said I agree that it has great synergy with lots of the tier S items and no, I most certainly do not expect you to factor in all the possible item combinations in the game. D:

That would be a simply ridiculous amount. Also I was mentioning those just as a side note as to when IMO those items were most powerful.

What's your opinion of the Panic Mines?

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I've found that it actually deals a significant amount of damage provided you can lure a bunch of mobs into it. Its strength lies in how you use the mines; you can herd mobs into them or save already-placed ones for when there are more mobs around. It's why I put it into the "Good, but sometimes situational" tier. It also staggers mobs for a bit, giving you time to react.

Opinion alert, it also fits my personal playstyle in that I tend to run around herding mobs for an ideal shot of FMJ or something, and Panic Mines complement that nicely.

• Treadlight

That last paragraph almost sounds sarcastic to me, there's only 40ish items. Maybe I'm just more used to it or something? Well, if you want, I could help with the combinations if you end up wanting to list them.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I mean something like tiering each and every item combination that has some sort of synergy.

e.g. Soldier Syringe works with every chance-to-proc item in the game, and also works with on-kill items since it increases DPS, so I'd have to go through AtG Missile Mk. 1 & 2, Boxing Glove, Haunting Guise, Heaven Cracker, Wicked Ring, Ceremonial Dagger, Concussion Grenade... You get the idea. Then I'd have to go through Heaven Cracker and Fire Shield since they proc on-hit items too, etc.

• Gimmesoup

Gimmesoup Void-Bound Voyager

Mh...I find that SS is fine on its own - I wouldn't call that a downfall. Instead what holds it back is how you need many of them to make a significant difference.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Nice project. I thought I'd give you my tier list for HAN-D (my favourite character).
                                Note that, like your list, it's highly subjective to my playing style.

HAN-D Tier List:

------[S Tier]------
                                AtG Missile Mk.2
                                Brilliant Behemoth
                                Happiest Mask
                                Alien Head
                                Soldier's Syringe
                                Golden Gun
                                Lens Maker's Glasses
                                Rapid Mitosis
                                Fire Shield
                                Rusty Knife
                                Mysterious Vial
                                Sprouting Egg
                                Prescriptions

------[A Tier]------
                                Guardian's Heart
                                Boxing Glove
                                Unstable Watch
                                AtG Missile Mk.1
                                Wicked Ring
                                Ceremonial Dagger
                                Fireman's Boots
                                Infusion
                                Jar of Souls
                                Gasoline
                                Harvester's Scythe
                                Ukulele
                                Leeching Seed
                                Barbed Wire
                                Beating Embryo
                                Monster Tooth
                                Toxic Worm

------[B Tier]------
                                Heaven Cracker
                                Old Box
                                Burning Witness
                                Concussion Grenade
                                Panic Mines
                                Rusty Jetpack
                                Prison Shackles
                                Shattered Mirror
                                The Hit List
                                Instant Minefield
                                Massive Leech
                                Life Savings
                                Smart Shopper

------[C Tier]------
                                Shield Generator
                                Foreign Fruit
                                Safeguard Lantern
                                Explorer's Key
                                Bustling Fungus
                                Pillaged Gold
                                Lost Doll

------[D Tier]------
                                Paul's Goat Hoof
                                Drone Repair Kit

? The Back-up
                                I haven't encountered this item yet! No spoilers, please!