Modding Discussion Item Spawning

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jecoconono, Dec 10, 2013.

1. aaa

aaa Orbital Explorer

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
    Agreed.

2. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

Well, I hex edited my save for yolo purposes to see if it could be done by a layman with a hex editor. It can be.

It also doesn't seem like the items themselves are determined by an ID in hex. They're actually spelled out:

[​IMG]

IMO, there's really no reason to make a player file editor or item spawner when you can just edit your file manually.

3. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

I don't get you. You say you're not good at programming but you still act like you know how stuff like this work? If it seems so simple, go learn to do it yourself. It's stupid how you try to teach people to do stuff just because you want it.

When somebody will do it, he will post on the forums. I think this discussion is non-sense. The modders know what to do.

aaa likes this.
  4. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, because ignoring all those other weird characters should turn out fine! :rolleyes:

5. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

Having a Creative Mode would definitely be very useful for the base builders.

6. Jecoconono

Jecoconono Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thats cause i understand lua but im bad at coding :zzz: Its simple to understand but not to write scince they can be soo much stuff that may not work.
    Btw i have no idea how to make a software so thats that.

7. Jecoconono

Yeah, but you know.. what if it could be called something else and i mess up my save.. and currently i THINK that the . are in a specific amount to get the slots right am i wrong?

8. You are thinking about this in the most basic terms, when in reality, it doesn't work as simply as you expect it to. It's not like using a Game Genie back in the day and figuring out codes, it takes a fair bit of work to determine exactly how the system stores inventory information, and not just that but how to quickly and correctly interpret and modify that information. There are nuances to every situation and in this case, one incorrect assumption in how the data is interpreted can corrupt the file. What you need to do is chill out and let people develop at their own pace. If that isn't good enough, you should give it a shot yourself instead of telling other people how simple it will be.

EDIT: Also... double posts are classy.

9. Jecoconono

Thats the point.
    It should be quite fairly long but easy to do.
    You would need to get all items in the game and 1 by 1 get them in a slot, save and quit, get to you're player file, get the code, next slot...
    Until you got all the slots and you can just overwrite the code in you're other player file.
    And item stack SHOULD be easy to do.

10. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can a mod please close this. This guy has to be a troll.

bizzy401 likes this.
  11. Jecoconono

No, im actually currently making a mod for it

12. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

I'm not editing the text, I'm editing the actual hex numbers and letters. And, yeah, it turned out fine:

[​IMG]

Then you make a backup. And no, the .s are just how the hex codes are translated into text in a hex editor. They're actually different values in there that determine the number of items in a stack and other junk.

Cayote likes this.
  13. Jecoconono

(insert akward face here) i dont know what hex is ._.
    But whatever im making a mod just for that ;)

14. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

.. I.. I just don't know anymore guys.. what do we do?

15. Jecoconono

...We cross our fingers and hope for the best? ._.
    And by making a mod just for that i mean for the item spawning. Not the hex. That would be... umm... wierd.

16. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

My god...

Cayote likes this.
  17. Did you even read my post Jecoconono?

18. zer0t3ch

zer0t3ch Void-Bound Voyager

SOOOO correct. Inv editors are very difficult without some form of access to the source code, or numerous scans of the file changes through different saves. In this case, either one would probably take at least a week of just work.

If you take for example Terraria, making an Inventory editor for that was easy because it was easy to decompile the source code. In this case, that is not easy, so not even close to make software to do it.

Quite frankly, a friendly LUA script that somehow added some form of GUI or chat interception would actually be quite a bit easier.

19. Jecoconono

Hey, stop complaining, im almost done with the basics of my mod.
    You guys wont stop saying that it isnt that easy and stuff... and im here to prove that you're wrong.

20. You keep twisting those Etch a Sketch knobs and get back to us.

Magician Xy likes this.