Modding Discussion Item Spawning

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jecoconono, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jecoconono

Jecoconono Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So alot of people has been asking for this in starbound, and im kinda wanting it too.
    Its pretty simple to do guys, just make a software that reads the player file, and make the software check in the items list...
    Then simply make the software put in the file to get it...
    Select inventory slot...
    Save file...
    Load the game and done.
    If im wrong, fell free to comment.

EDIT : Im not talking about a problem here, im just saying that it could easily be done like this.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

You're partially wrong. It can, and will be done. But it's far from simple, it's going to take some time.

3. Jecoconono

I think you got the wrong idea here.
    I ment it is possible just if you do these steps! I didnt say its impossible.

4. ReMark

ReMark Subatomic Cosmonaut

The problem is, from what I've read, is that the storage/chests share the inventory space of the player. However, I could be mis-understanding what the real issue is exactly, but some of the stuff in starbound is linked to other things, such as HP and the like.

5. Jecoconono

You get a software, the software reads the players file and get the inventory part.
    Then the software reads the items file in assets so it can also spawn in modded items
    Then they put in a bunch of code that will say in what slot it is etc.
    Then you save/overwrite the file
    Done

6. Afflicted One

Afflicted One Phantasmal Quasar

Items stored in chests on a planet are stored in the universe folder and can be accessed by any single-player character, making it possible to transfer items from character to character.

It should be possible to modify a character's inventory by using an external program, but we are probably a ways away from making that work.

7. Jecoconono

There is someone who already managed to make a web site that can read you're player file, i dont thing its away.

8. ReMark

Well, this seems easy then, guys! :D

Why hasn't it been done yet?

9. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

If it's so simple do it yourself, maybe? We then could as well make a software, write a car number in it and select another card to transfer the money. It's simple guys, we just need the field where we need to introduce the card number and we get money. Why doesn't anyone make this?

10. Afflicted One

Check out this thread for further reading:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/save-editor-discussion.38948/

Item spawning isn't reliable yet, and a list of items and their hex codes need to be compiled. I would give it a few weeks. It's coming just be patient.

11. Jecoconono

Thats cause im not good at programing
    He made a item finding web site thing, he can just take the SAME value and put it in any other spot, and spawning item is the same just adding a code line.

12. Afflicted One

There is much more to it than that.

13. Jecoconono

Haha, just get all of the items in the game, wear it in the first slot, find the different code line, and do it until the whole inventory is done and you know all the slot spots. If the code is different each time, do the same thing over and over again, if its the same, then it will be easier.

14. ReMark

"That's cause im not good at programing" ... I like how you stated that, and then stated all these other things.

I guess it always does sound easier said than done, huh? Just remember Murphy's law, especially in coding/programming.

Edit: I smell treachery in this thread from the OP.

15. Jecoconono

Thats cause i play roblox alot and nerd at lua all night long
    Im just bad at programing but i understand it. I just dont know how to code that much. The only thing that i can make in roblox is pretty much
    Code:
    function onTouched (touch)
        touch = onTouched.Parent:FindFirstChild(onTouched)
        if onTouched ~= nil then
        onTouched.Health = 0
    end
    script.Parent.Touched:connect(onTouched)

16. mcmurphy

mcmurphy Master Chief

FYI, world.spawnItem("torch", POSITION) works just great. Here's some code for finding your playerId, position, and spawning a torch there.

local playerIds = world.playerQuery({0,0}, 100000)
    pos = world.entityPosition(playerIds[1])
    world.spawnItem("torch", pos)

HintOfMint and Symmasolan like this.
  17. Jecoconono

what are you talking about...

18. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

That's a piece of lua code you can use to give yourself items.

19. Jecoconono

I dont know how to use itX3

20. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

If you don't know how to use that, you shouldn't be claiming inventory editors are simple to make.