Item Destruction Outside?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hisuckers, May 11, 2017.

1. hisuckers

hisuckers Big Damn Hero

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread-related issue. But does kegs, preserve jars, chests, etc... get destroyed due to weather? If so, does the lightning rod protect the items during stormy season? Or does durability affect them? Im still new to the game and I want to try a 116 keg plan because I have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit.

Thanks in advance!

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Not sure about machines and chests but I've definitely had lightning destroy path tiles and crops, so I'd say it's entirely possible. You may also run into the issue of debris spawning at the start of a season and taking out your stuff, I've heard of that happening to other people.

The more lightning rods you have, the less chance that a stormy day will ruin your machines but personally I wouldn't risk it, I'd just keep everything inside. I've had crops get hit even with the rods up and available (meaning not already producing a battery pack).

hisuckers likes this.
      • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Were there any weeds? A couple iridium sprinklers were destroyed from weeds on my farm

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

That can definitely happen. A good tip is to lay a piece of flooring underneath your stuff to prevent weeds from trying to spawn on that tile.

hisuckers likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

That's also a good way to prevent them being pulled up when you till the soil. So it serves two purposes. :D

hisuckers likes this.
            • hisuckers

hisuckers Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the info guys!

So, its better to place a few extra sheds and store everything inside and just farm crops outside.
              Is durability a real thing? If you go for a few years with the same chest will it break with time?

• LuthienNightwolf

I don't think anything in this game ever breaks, it's not like Minecraft. :)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Something people do (I do it frequently), is buy a barn and do the expansions on it to give you more room than what the shed gives you. Couple that with the mod (the name escapes me) where it auto gathers your items and puts them in a chest that is connected to your jars/casks/kegs(or any other manufacturing machine), and you can fill every space in your building, losing only one to the chest (which i usually put just inside the doorway). No having to pull up jars or casks to get to the back ones.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

The only craftables with durability are fences. No other crafting items or machines ever break or fall apart unless destroyed by weeds, lightning, or the unlucky meteor hit.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

If you're concerned about fences, there are mods to turn the durability factor off. If you're concerned about weeds, lay down a flooring tile, as mentioned above. If you plan to place any craftables outside the farm for your use, be sure they don't get in the way of any NPC pathing. Once an NPC enters a tile with a craftable object, the object's deleted.

Sheds protect against lighting strikes, at least, from everything I've heard. I can't swear to this personally, however.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Sheds, coops, barns, slime hutches, your house, the farm cave, and the greenhouse are all tiny separate maps as far as the game is concerned. The mechanic works like, 'door A on farm leads to map Coop 1'. This is why you can move buildings and the contents never change unless you change them. None of the insides of these buildings even exist on your farm; they are all tiny individual maps. So nothing that happens on the farm will have any affect on what goes on inside them. (The appearance of a witch cursing your Coop or Hutch isn't actually taking place on the farm, that's just a cut-scene to show you what the RNG behind the scenes decided to do.)

Borodin and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                        • LuthienNightwolf

I use this trick to make my animals go inside the barns faster in the evening. Not on the farm map, game puts animals away instantly. On the farm map, I have to sit and wait for them all to walk in, and there's always at least one straggler that won't go inside until almost 6pm. So when it's almost 5, I go inside the house or wander off the farm map for a few minutes to let the game put the animals away. >u<

Chlorruption and Borodin like this.
                          • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Good idea! Usually I just kind of 'bump' them in the direction I want them to go (usually towards the door). The only time this has been difficult was when I had one of the grass patches down with a fence on it and the stupid rabbit kept going back and forth and wouldn't 'bump' in a different direction!
                            I later sold my 'defective' rabbit. :catlol:

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                            • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always get a couple who ignore the wide open door and spend the night outside. They haven't been eaten ... yet.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Off subject, I recall someone on here mentioning during the beginning of the game to place furnaces (and a chest) in the main area of the mines. So you can save time and come up to the central area to smelt. Then use the elevator to head back down again. Never would've thought of that.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I had stone tiles crushed by a meteor. The thing landed right next to my cheese presses. I wonder if the meteor can land on chests or kegs or anything of that nature?

• LuthienNightwolf

That was probably me, I do my mining setup that way. :3

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I've never heard of that happening. Mind you, most people that comment here appear at least to place their chests and kegs up near (relatively speaking) the farmhouse for easy access. And in my experience at least, meteor strikes are in the center, or in southern half of the farm.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Well my meteor hit within sight of the farmhouse.
                                        [​IMG]
                                        [​IMG]
                                        [​IMG]

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Still not on the farmhouse or any of your buildings, or craft items.

Mind, if the meteor shows up with a witch's legs underneath them bearing ruby slippers, all bets are off.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.