1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

It seems I have hit the update like a brick wall.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Ethereal, May 15, 2013.

1. Pastuleio

Pastuleio Risk of Rain Developer

We are reading and listening to your thoughts guys! Keep up the detailed and truthful feedback and it will help all make sure Risk of Rain is the best it can be on launch :)

• Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

even though i don't have the beta, i would like to agree with this idea.
      except instead of guessing what the player is going to do next, there should be small stages in-between levels (like they shops that you guys talked about in another thread) to allow you to pick your stat boosts, or even have an 'auto' option that applies available boosts while you play and as you get them. there could even be a pause option that allows you to pick the stat boosts during the level so that the in-between stages don't have to exist.
      all this allows the player to focus on what they want their character to play like, instead of worrying about dying while trying to pick stat boosts, and would make the levels gained feel more like they mean something rather than, 'oh, here's another useless level.'
      at least, that's how i view the levels right now with the demo and not an updated beta. :meh:

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

In response to the above comment, why not just have it that when you level up, you can click on(or use the hotkeys for) one of four permanent stat boost categories?

This would make it so that you could balance them out each level, but you could also focus primarily on one thing that you're lacking from powerups to round out your character.
        • Attack Speed
        • Attack Damage
        • Health
        • Armor(?)
        Also, I was thinking that these level up options would only happen if you enable the choice(Pre-game, like a little check box). Otherwise, perhaps, it cycles through them or gives a smaller boost to each one automatically as you level.

KirasiN, Firenze, Active Link and 5 others like this.
        • MisterS42

MisterS42 Void-Bound Voyager

I LOVE this idea. Would also add more of an RPG experience.

• Joskineide

Joskineide Astral Cartographer

This would help a lot to players who think they are too squishy in certain parts of the game, or not doing enough dmg, you could also put in that list health regen, could come in handy

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

In between shops for stats could definitely be an added level of certainty to the game where items are very much uncertain. I am not to compelled to have this nor not to have it but if such a method were implemented it would be important for it to take a back seat both to your items and to your own skill. I'm of the opinion that such a mechanic should be a supplement and not a foundation to the game.

I've played quite some more since last posting in this thread and I think some of the issues are truly just small tweaks to be made on the enemies (i.e. reducing range/number of missiles launched by explosive affixed enemies).

• Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

so much better idea than mine (wasn't really mine, but whatevs). i think this would work very well and it would help so much! :up:

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

As for the snow golems thing, making them able to walk off of cliffs may do the trick.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I AM THE NECROMANCER OF THREADS. FEAR ME. Anyways, I agree whole-heartedly with the idea of stat increases based on the type of enemy killed, maybe make it a change to infusion? Then you could have some enemies increasing your health, some your attack, attack speed, etc. Personally I reckon that'd be awesome.
                    ~okok111

• Firenze

Firenze Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks to the necromancer of threads there, I hadn't seen this, and LOVE the idea of it being possible to boost your stats per level.

HOWEVER,

I am playing this game quite a lot in co-op at the moment, with all of us on 360 controllers. How would this work for us?

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

• Firenze

Firenze Aquatic Astronaut

I'm just not sure how you'd sort the levelling? It just feels like you'd be out of buttons to assign for levelling, if you'd need an extra 4 on the controller. And if you're all going to need to pause each time you level to sort it out, it's really going to be a pain during play...

Treadlight likes this.
                        • KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

Well, they could implement an auto allocate option which gives you a balanced boost of stats, or you could just hold a button on your 360 controller, then press the button corresponding to the stat you want to boost.

• Lmaoboat

Lmaoboat Void-Bound Voyager

I also seem to notice that snow golems spawn more than anything else as well.

• Strife

Strife Existential Complex

I've had little problem, as I scout the place around the teleporter first, so that I can press the button and position myself where I have a fantastic advantage.