1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with using light source pack and EPP

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shanianowhere, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

Spike ball moves along the wall FAR too slowly-flying enemies can attack you while you're doing it, and you still can't see OR place torches while balled. I do use the flare dropping method now to determine how deep a cavern is, if I can't see red glow on my screen, I don't jump. And yes, that's sort of how game progression works, you get better gear that eliminates the need for beginning stuff. :p

Like I said, they gave us GOOD stuff that made the game nicer, then took it away. If we'd never had the light packs, there'd be nothing to complain about-but we did have them, and we want them back.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You still have light packs. They aren't the be-all and end-all of packs, though.

And there are also Light Augments to use with those packs.

If you're gonna go spelunking, then you want your light augment pack. If you wanna go fight a boss or do some mob farming then you're gonna want your Regen/Damage/Whatever pack.

In-between, well, that's what flares and torches are for lol.

Or, again, FU. FU makes things so much easier. I dunno why you can't craft augments in Vanilla, but... FU shows you how awesome it can be when you can craft augments.

3. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Other thread about the same (I guess) issue ignored this outright, maybe you'll be more interested.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/universal-epp.3821/
    Craftable EPP that incorporates a light source, maybe 5% weaker than the xenon pack.

4. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why do the light packs even exist when most of the planets can't even be visited without the use of EPPs? By the time you're at that tier there's no reason to visit earlier planets except for the pretty scenery. Cucklefish pls.

5. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Guys, guys. C'mon. Let's be honest. Who wants to throw around torches and flares when you could, instead, F***ING GLOW IN THE DARK?

Glowing in the dark is pretty awesome, okay? I use the light upgrade exclusively.

I have never needed another augment. Ever. They have never been necessary. They have never provided a benefit that was significant enough to trump glowing in the dark. I mean, if you prefer torches and flares, that's fine. But don't pretend a guy doesn't have a right to glow in the dark just because those things exist.

#GlowLivesMatter

DooMJake and Ablekaine like this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

For someone with "Flare" in their name, you don't like using flares?

/sarcasm

But for real, Regeneration II and III rock. Seriously, they save you a LOT of bandaids. They give Light some serious competition. I suppose one could carry around two Cooling EPPs -- one with Regen, one with Light, and swap em.

7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

That's actually what I did for a while. Then I realized that nanowrap bandages are literally all over the place and I easily collect more than I ever need to use.

8. MidniteSteve

MidniteSteve Phantasmal Quasar

Thorns augment is the best one.

9. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I do find it annoying to have like 10 EPPs in my inventory because I need various augments. It was much simpler when i just had nanosuits and light packs.

10. N155

N155 Void-Bound Voyager

You have darkness half of time (if you dont dig) on any planet. Light III augment havnt any truly alternative. And "xenon pack family" are fully useless.

And it totaly annoying do a tours on fiery planets ALL times. But others useless too.

sry for my english, but not native

11. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's a mod that makes all EPP mods emit light as a secondary effect. That would solve your problem nicely.

DooMJake likes this.
  12. Hurgablurg

Hurgablurg Void-Bound Voyager

There's a mod for this! The Spelunking EPP!
    It allows a further upgrade from the cooling EPP that combines it and the Halogen pack to create an EPP with built in mega-light!
    If you're using Steam, it can be easily subscribed too by searching the mod name in the Workshop.. If you're using the GOG version, I'm sure someone's made a similar mod somewhere on here. I checked the Nexus, and there's nothing there, unfortunately.

13. Flaminglynx

Flaminglynx Void-Bound Voyager

To prevent having to use Light Augment or mods, you can use a captured Lumoth with an Oblivious Collar.

http://starbounder.org/Lumoth

This has the same function as the Bottled Wisp or whatever it was in Terraria.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You say that like you can just walk up to Terramart and buy an Oblivious Collar, or make one.

In like 3 playthroughs since 1.0.... I found like.......1.

EDIT: I'd have to point out that the fact that augments and pet collars are chest-only and are rare with no real consistency behind where you find these things is probably one of the biggest problems with the Augment/Pet System altogether.

Yes, there are options... but more than likely you could spend countless hours trying to get the item(s) needed to make that option viable. I've never seen a Light 3 Augment, ever. I've seen 1 Oblivious Collar.

It seems to me some of these "Utility" Augments/Collars should be craftable or at least consistently buyable. Yes, you can buy Augments from Lana..... but..... she doesn't always have the same ones available. Again, RNG and Luck.

EDIT2: I will also point out that in my current playthrough, my Matter Manipulator is almost maxed out, I have a T8 ship, but I only found 3 collars and 5-6 Augments.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Hurgablurg likes this.
  15. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

I skimmed this, and I did not notice anyone mention the fact you can get a pet who glows in the dark/ emits light, and equip him with the oblivious collar so he cant die.... :)

16. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

I like that I now have to make choices and can't simply have it all anymore. There are alternatives for light, as pointed out. The augment. Light is valuable. Do you want damage, or greater vision? It comes down to play style. Perhaps you'll use a damage augment and compensate with a glow pet, or a flashlight. It's not so bad, and I've made a backpack for each occasion. I now have a reason to have a variety of gear instead of a 'one size fits all pack.'

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Might want to read my post right above yours. When replying to a thread, you ought to at least fully read the last couple posts.....

Colaymorak likes this.
  18. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

/admin
    /spawnitem obliviouscollar
    /admin

#embracethedarkside

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So.....cheating is (almost) the only way to get a viable option? lol

Yeah, that's great game design.

/sigh.

Why grind for anything then, why not just turn /admin on and leave it on the whole game and spawn everything I need without trying to get it?

Ablekaine likes this.
  20. DooMJake

DooMJake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know there is a mod that lets you craft/buy these