Modding Help Issue Attempting to Update Outdated Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Braeken, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Braeken

Braeken Void-Bound Voyager

Only recently bothered modding SDV, and mostly been without issue. However, one of the mods I'm interested in trying (specifically the choose baby gender one from Nexusmods) is clearly horribly outdated, given the last update was 2016. I don't know how to make mods from scratch and this seems to be only one of it's type (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me), so been trying to fix the issues with it.

Took a bit but managed to fix the manifest file up to modern SDV standards, so that bit stops giving me SMAPI errors. However, it seems to be missing the content.json file entirely - I'm assuming that it's something that older mods didn't need. Unlike the manifest file which I was able to change thanks to more or less copying the structure of another mod's, the content file is apparently more complex judging by what I've seen in other mods.

Since the DLL file from the original mod is present, is there any simple way to create a content file for it? Might not be possible, but thought I may as well ask. Keep getting the wrong gender child atm, and it's driving me up the wall :)

As context, this is link to original mod I'm trying to update - https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/590?tab=description

And just to reiterate, feel free to tell me there's no chance if there isn't. I'm not up to heavy mod coding, so may be bashing my head against a brick wall trying this at all. Can but ask though :)

• jenf

jenf Void-Bound Voyager

That particular mod isn't a content patcher mod, it's a SMAPI mod. And unfortunately it doesn't appear to be open source, meaning that you'd need to rewrite it from scratch, and that requires knowledge of the game's coding.

Try using Family Planning instead: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/4515

• Braeken

Braeken Void-Bound Voyager

Ah well, was worth asking. That mod you suggested worked great - was worried it'd conflict with Child to NPC since both have Harmony warnings, but didn't seem to cause any issues. Thanks :)

Finally my character has a daughter - you'd think that given a fifty percent chance rate of either, you'd have one already after fourteen tries, but luck clearly has a twisted sense of humour >.>"