1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

is this game ever going to be updated again?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FlyingFloran, Apr 24, 2021.

1. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

first off, i really used to love the game.

second, the bounty hunting update apparently broke a lot of mods, and i'd like it if there were at least some form of bugfixes.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Once their Xbox problem is done (at least that's what they say).

And technically you can't blame the game if the mod is not working. You should ask the modder instead to update their mods.

Armok and Iris Blanche like this.
  3. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

used to? does the fact that future updates of this game have been left uncertain somehow effected your enjoyment of the game? For any game that's moddable, the modding community will always be there, SB being no exception. As for those broken mods, I wouldn't say that 1.4 broke too many of them (those that were were already abandoned by their creators at that point), and honestly people can always make their own up to date versions so long as permission is given

4. StarboundIsFun

StarboundIsFun Intergalactic Tourist

if im not mistaken, theres a mod called "Starbound Patch Project" (https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/starbound-patch-project.5894/) that fixes most problems on the xbox version... all chucklefish needs to do is add the code from SBPP to the official code (probably easier said then done, so i wouldnt be surprised if they dont)

5. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

the xbox version isn't out yet lol, and reportedly the xbox port will actually come with a lot of bug fixes and stuff (which will also come to the pc versions), but I only heard that from someone who was apparently taking notes on what CF was saying

I do hope someone pointed them over to that mod though, as minor as a vast majority of vanilla's bugs are, never hurts to quash them

6. Daikon Ocelot

I am not sure if it's that simple. I mean, come on, even Chucklefish, the developer, and BlitWorks, the master of game porting, can't even fix the issue until now.

And anyway, if I remember it correctly, the problem is on the multiplayer performance in Xbox, not bugs, and it looks like the mod only fix minor bugs that is not so game breaking. CF should have already know about those bugs, it looks like they just doesn't really focusing on that yet.

7. Eralia

Eralia Phantasmal Quasar

it really doesnt feel like it. im surprised they even provided an update in december, but there hasnt been any single thing since then, and the last major update was still in june 2019...
    im not going to outright doubt theyre still working on it, but this is still frustrating and i wish theyd at least be transparent about whats going on and provide some more development updates. or at least provide some closure if that really happens to be the last update, instead of leaving everyone in uncertainty

8. StarboundIsFun

ohhhhhhhhhhh ok that makes more sense

true enough, you cant be too careful, and i thought you were referring to the xbox game pass version (on PC) lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2021
  9. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, that version is the same as Steam and GoG basically

if there's one actual issue to CF, it's that at times they aren't the most transparent on things unfortunately

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@StarboundIsFun Please don't stack posts. Use the edit function to add to your posts or wait for someone else to reply first. I've merged your posts.

If you want to quote multiple posts you simply need to click reply on each one.

11. StarboundIsFun

oh ok, sorry about that

12. Daikon Ocelot

I agree that they should be more transparent on everything, even if it's just a news about them having a cup of tea.

Eralia and Armok like this.
  13. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

Eh, i doubt they would ever consider being more transparent.

Especially after what happened back in 2019, where some volunteers didn't get paid for their work. (or something idk i don't remember)

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  14. Daikon Ocelot

Yeah, I read about it too. I am not sure what really happens though.

BAM-BIN-0 likes this.
  15. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

it's a mess really, but the thing is, they were actually transparent about that, there's literally a fair amount of mentioning of the contributors from CF themselves in old forum posts here.
    and honestly, I think they should try to be more transparent precisely to prove they've moved on from that now, I doubt wargroove or witchbrook have been/are being developed with contributors involved at all, if there's one thing CF is good at, it's learning from their mistakes.

16. LeadTurd

LeadTurd Void-Bound Voyager

In my opinion, developers would benefit a lot by being a bit more transparent. AAA games for one, suffer a lot from consumers not knowing what is happening behind the scenes until it's too late, often getting annoyed or angry at the developers for delaying the release, or not having a say in a part of the game they the consumers wouldn't want, or what not. *cough*cyberpunk*cough*. If players or consumers are made aware of behind the scenes information, such as; If the code they were working with all along ran into a fatal problem and they had to rollback months of work just to circumvent that problem, we'd at least KNOW there is a problem, and that there is a reason for a delay.

BAM-BIN-0 and Armok like this.
  17. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I agree with this 10000%, this should be standard practice among all game dev, indie and AAA.

18. Daikon Ocelot

That's my thought from the first time I arrived here, and now I am tired of it, since they ignore it. The last time I know, when people asked about it, CF replied that they don't really have anything to share to us about SB. It just add another bummer and suspicion about what really happens behind the stage.

19. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

to be fair, CF seems to currently be dedicating an overwhelming majority of their resources to a new game now, they're almost certainly being truthful about the fact they don't have anything to share since well, they're preoccupied.
    I can understand people's frustration, but CF seems to have a lot on their plate honestly, especially with the pandemic

20. Daikon Ocelot

Understandable. But I still do prefer that they give weekly or at least monthly news both on their Discord and this forums (and any other social medias they have) about what are the progress they have done each week or month on their games, Starbound, Wargroove, and Witchbrook, in a single post that state the progress of each games.