Is there any NPC you (or your character) really can't stand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borodin, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I've actually never dug in any of the trashcans, and I'm on my fourth playthrough. >u< I know they are a potential resource but eh, I just think it's icky.

Corraidhín and sunlite like this.
    • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Sometimes I accidentally click the cans, and I got a trout soup out of Haley's can. It's still sitting in a chest to this day, who knows what's in there?

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
      • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Agreed, avoided them as soon as I found out they were interactable...

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the cutscene with Linus and George and Gus and the trashcan. I won't say further because spoilers.

Sebastian has a motorcycle? I've never seen it. Or does he buy one after you get married?

Something, somewhere describing Morris said that he really believed that Joja was what was best for people. I wanted to see him have a change of heart after you completed the community centre and stay in the village and do something good, instead of leaving. Maybe convert the empty Joja building into something cool (it annoys me just sitting there like an eyesore).

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Two of his heart events involve the motorcycle- the four heart and the ten heart.

To add to my characters I have a problem with, I kind of have an issue with Marnie. She kind of gets on Shane's case for his drinking habit, which by itself would be somewhat understandable, except that she doesn't actually seem to try to help him with it? Plus it seems a little bit like she is thinking he doesn't have enough to do with Jas, but she spends most of her free time drinking at the saloon or chasing Lewis. Which... It really sometimes comes across as her not thinking that his depression is a real problem and something he "chooses" to have. Maybe I've just missed some dialogue somewhere or gotten unlucky on where the AI decides to send her, but it seems like she cares less about Jas and Shane than they care about her.

Edit: That said, I could possibly be projecting issues I've had IRL with family about my depression on to the situation. I also don't expect her to be perfect about it because emotional/mental health issues are difficult to deal with for everyone involved, but... It feels like she hasn't tried very hard to help him- hell, when Shane starts going sober she immediately jokes that he's happy because alcohol is involved, like someone needing to be drunk to be happy is amusing.

So on one hand, I can appreciate the realism of the situation, but on the other, it makes me feel oddly disappointed in her, because it feels like she doesn't want to get emotionally invested in him.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
              Seismothesaurus likes this.
            • LuthienNightwolf

Maybe it's because I watch WAY too much of the show Once Upon a Time but I'm highly intrigued with the idea of villains getting a second chance. I'd be interested in seeing Morris come back and apologize and be willing to help turn the old Joja building into something that helps the town. Every other character gets the opportunity to show us why they act like jerks, why not him too?

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I would love to see a cutscene of Sebastian taking the farmer on a highway trip on the evening... maybe some 13 hearts event for the post-marriage kind of life...

LuthienNightwolf and Minimanta like this.
                • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Ooh, I like the idea of a 13 hearts event for spouses! I've always wanted cutscenes with the spouse and the kids and it would make a lot of sense to have one at 13 hearts.

Corraidhín likes this.
                  • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I never liked Pierre. To me, he seems to be focused too much on his business and not enough on his wife and daughter. I so wish I could convince Caroline to leave him and marry my farmer. Pierre isn't a bad guy, but he annoys me

• Hadvar23

Hadvar23 Void-Bound Voyager

Why reintroduce Morris at the end ? Stuck in Stardew valley and working for Pierre so he will "pay" for the bad thing he did.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

But what bad things did Morris do? He just opened up a shop that broke Pierre's monopol and gave some villagers (Shane and Sam) a job. If you side with Joja and complete the warehouse you secure those new jobs and Pierre's shop is still running like before.
                        If you complete the community center you ruin Morris' career, make all local Joja employees unemployed and fully surrender every villager to Pierre's pricing policy. On top of that the villagers will hardly use the restored community center.
                        As it is now the events within the game never give Pierre's accusations that Joja is an evil corporation that will ruin him any basis.

Edit: In the warehouse completion cutscene Morris says that the farmer helped him proving to Joja that it is possible to successfully invest into the infrastructure of small / remote towns. Aside from helping the locals it helps Joja to expand. Maybe by helping Joja in Pelican town you helped other villages with damaged busses and broken bridges too.

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I agree with what Jerev said. And I'll add to it a bit.

Morris is a bit competitive and power-hungry. He seems to get some satisfaction out of taking away Pierre's customers, and he wants Joja to grow and become even more powerful. So he kind of seems evil. But on the other hand, Pierre does exactly the same thing. He tries to take Joja customers and put Joja out of business; and if you look in his house you find that it also wants his business to grow into a chain. He's always talking about getting customers whenever you see him. He's not really any more moral or "good" than Morris, Pierre just seems to have a friendlier face or something.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I suspect CA wants you to regard Morris and Jojo as the Goliath next to Pierre's David, though in building what little we see of Pierre's character he doesn't want it extremely obvious. But the evidence is there: when you first enter Pierre's shop, Morris makes a visit actually trying to steal his customers away--bad business practice anywhere, and illegal in many nations. (Pierre never shows up in Jojo's to do this.) Pierre is assertive in his PR, but that's to be expected when you've got a single local shop and your opponent is a huge corporate chain. Morris is the aggressor here, with the money of Jojo's behind him. Pierre is reacting, thinking ahead, working out how he can survive Jojo's and any future efforts other companies might make to put him out of business.

This isn't to make Morris to be a villain, or Pierre a hero. Just offering a bit of perspective.

For myself, Lewis' type--the benign old fart elected to run things who gets nothing done, and brags about how everybody loves him--is a bit of an irritant, and one I've seen in reallife. Several of the other inhabitants have a private, very different aspect of their personalities that works against the stereotypes they present, but Lewis doesn't. He gives every indication of being what he appears to be: a complacent politician who is completely unaware of how little he achieves.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

It's business. You can't let it get personal, because that's when profits fall and any business can be ruined. Better business practices, however, can help.

• LuthienNightwolf

I'm sure it goes without saying but in Pierre's defense, the general store is there for the farmer's convenience - if Pierre wasn't behind that counter 7 days a week people would complain that they couldn't buy seeds. However, perhaps the balance for this would be letting Sam take over on certain days, while Shane takes over for Marnie. That way they still have employment and the player still has the shops available at all times.

Borodin, Ghostly Fox and Jerev like this.
                                • Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

Honestly, it's Lewis for me. Many of the "obnoxious" characters open up and become easier to like once you understand them. Lewis goes the other way. The more I learned about him on my first playthrough, the less I liked him. He's sort of a selfish and manipulative jerkbag when you get down past his smiling facade.

• Papierzasta

Papierzasta Void-Bound Voyager

Ooooh, this is exactly how I felt when I saw Elliott and his portrait. I barely spoke to him at first, as I thought he would be arrogant and self-centred (honestly, I don't know why, he just gave me those vibes for some reason). I liked his hair, because I like men with long hair. I started romancing Harvey and then got to know Elliott a little better and I really liked him. I didn't marry him because I wanted to stay true to my original choice. My farmer girl is happy with Harvey, but sometimes I wonder what if...

The characters I don't like are definitely Lewis and Alex. Lewis for obvious reasons with Marnie: he acts as if he only uses her for... ekhm... *carnal* purposes and he is not very honest about it. I don't think that seeing someone only for that one thing is bad as long as you are honest about it and call it what it is. He tries to make up excuses for himself and says that he is busy and what would people think and such, but it's all BS. He doesn't want to commit and he is afraid that if he admits that, Marnie would leave. It's despicable.

Alex, ugh. I really appreciate it that he has some depth to him (his 8 hearts event), but I still see him as a jock who doesn't have any serious ambitions. All he talks about is going "pro", but apart from training and tossing his football around, he doesn't do anything about it. At least the other candidates do, but not him.

ChaosAzeroth and blind3rdeye like this.
                                    • Iphigenia

Iphigenia Void-Bound Voyager

Someone earlier said they get along with most people and I kinda feel the same way. Personally, I don't dislike any of the villagers, although I am more ambivalent towards some more than others. I don't particularly care for Sebastian, Alex, or Abigail. I know it's been discussed for ages about how they seem younger, and I'm guessing that's why I care less about them. They don't really feel like the farmer's peers, if that makes sense.

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I wanted to marry him in one of my playthroughs but simply couldn't. He was still a jerk, even after raising his heart level.
                                        "Hey let me invite you for dinner. You get a kale salad!" What? I think, I am old enough to choose my meal on my own. It's so gender stereotypical "the lady eats salad, she needs to think of the calories."
                                        He acts as if he would be a big player, but bro, you're not in a team, you don't have a job and you're not even practicing gridball at all. Come down to earth again.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                                        • Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought that at first, but I recognized that Morris isn't the CEO, he was probably ordered to head to Pierre's and pass out coupons. When you work for a big corporation like that, your just a small cog in the machine, and often your stuck with the distasteful jobs. Morris doesn't live in town either so he probably has to commute some distance to get to town as well.

Pierre on the other hand, is his own boss, and all he cares about are profits. At the festivals, if he isn't trying to make money off of everyone, he telling you to shop at his store tomorrow. He's worse then Morris. The only thing stopping Pierre from "appearing" evil is that he's running a small town store, rather then working for a big corporation. But Pierre is definitely built from the same mold that spawned the Joja corporation. And he's running a monopoly on fruit tree saplings as well.