Is there any NPC you (or your character) really can't stand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borodin, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Just that. This can be an in-game reaction based on roleplaying, or it can be you in reallife reacting to perceived qualities in a given NPC that expands into a type you really don't like. What are the reasons behind the way you or your character feel?

I only have one request: please, if you don't like somebody else's opinion, let it go. Fight over chocolate, fight over movie night, fight over who should have won the Third Peloponnesian War, but not this. T'aint worth it. Over to you. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
      Ardalis and MagicallyClueless like this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

If I had to pick one, probably Haley. I know she gets nicer later on but her initial attitude gets on my nerves pretty bad. She makes snotty remarks about my appearance or how I'm dirty or that I smell, and basically acts like a spoiled princess. Remember the character Shannon from the show Lost? That's how I picture Haley.

But, Mean Girl attitude aside, I give her gifts because I pretty much have to if I ever want her to stop being an obnoxious brat. Once I have her at 8 hearts I pretty much never speak to her again. I don't hang out with girls like her in rl so I'm not about to do it in a game. lol

Another minor nitpick - Clint. He has all this self-depreciation in his dialogue and he reminds me of a few guys I've known who constantly put themselves down and complain about the girl they like not noticing them. You can preach the importance of self-confidence to them all day and they just won't get it. I like him otherwise, I respect him as a craftsman and I know he takes pride in his work - just wish he would let some of that carry over to his personal outlook.

Tamsin and MagicallyClueless like this.
      • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

No, not really. I'm the type of person who get along with just about anyone even though I'm an introvert with a capital I.
        You have to be real bad or nosy for me to not like you and none of the characters rubbed me the wrong way, they either all have some good in them or don't have personality enough for me to be anything other than indifferent to them.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't like Haley for the same reasons mentioned above. I don't like Shane either. He's always so rude when you say hello to him.

DreamerDrop likes this.
          • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Honestly for me it's probably Abigail. It's like to me she's the hipper less obvious Penny in her "I want someone to come in and rescue me out of my life hero" cause she masks it with her talking about wanting to be an explorer or adventurer. But for all her bemoaning regarding her parents being old fashioned and stuffy...she sure seems to have no problem using them for her college courses and using all that free-time to putter around various forest locations and play around than...actually show any incentive of focus on her courses. Or do anything remotely helpful for anyone other than herself. She always strikes me as the type of individual who is bemoaning how hard they have it cause their parents are the wooooorst because they won't let them get their lip pierced...while they sit and play the game system their parents got for them as they eat snacks their mom made for them that afternoon. But then later will get huffy cause their parents want them to fold the laundry or something because they are not a child anymore mooooooom...yet still act completely dependent on their parents in every other respect.

Really the only thing I like about Abigail is the time she helps in playing prairie king and even then its not like she sticks around to help me with the whole game. :rofl:

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

For some reason I really dislike Elliott. To be honest, I can't work out precisely _why_ I dislike him; but he always strikes me as being smug and self-centred. If he just says something like "Chilly, isn't it?" it makes me think "screw you, $#@*^%#." I don't really know why.

Edit: and since it's not really anything definite about him that bothers me; I wouldn't say that it's Elliott's fault... I mean, I wouldn't try to tell others not to like him or anything like that. He's probably a fine person; I just don't want to be around him!

Also, I'm not a great fan of Pierre. I reckon he'd be just as bad as Morris if his business became very profitable...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
              • AnnieBenLen

AnnieBenLen Astral Cartographer

Lewis. Marnie deserves to be treated better.

• ellindsey

ellindsey Space Spelunker

Alex. I tried romancing everyone in my playthrough, but I couldn't get him past 4 hearts. Every interaction with him made me just never want to talk to him again.

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have been trying to figure out for AGES why I wasn't a fan of Abigail. I was so certain I'd like her because she was a cute alternative adventure girl, but I couldn't figure out why I wound up disliking her. THANK YOU for putting it into words. I still like her a lot, but thank you for helping me figure out WHY I couldn't marry her.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Sam and Alex.

• LuthienNightwolf

Now that I think about it I think that's why I changed my stance on her as well. When I first started to play this game I read about all the bachelors and bachelorettes and thought "hey, Abigail sounds like the type of girl I'd most likely be friends with". But as time has gone I've realized I'd like Abby, but maybe not hang out with her as much as I would Leah. Leah strikes me as more mature, experienced, plus she loves art and nature and people who appreciate those things are far more likely to become friends with me. I definitely see the traits you guys mentioned with her complaining about parents but still living on their dime and yeah...that's another Penny, wanting to be rescued. lol

DreamerDrop likes this.
                        • swdtadpole

swdtadpole Space Spelunker

Honestly, Penny. She's sort of an anti-Haley for me. The more hearts I build with her, the less I like her. She's constantly talking about my house and if she's not doing that, she's complaining about living in a trailer. It feels less like she likes me, and more that she 's after my property and money.

CandyCorn likes this.
                          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Alex. Every time he opens his mouth my palms itch to smack him. He's the one NPC I routinely ignore, the one that I almost never gift, the one who I walk away from without a word. I tried to open up to him, knowing from spoilers that his character improves and he grows up a little, but I cannot get past his beefy smug frat-boy illiterate jock self-centered facade. I will work past Haley's pink-frosting Barbie doll exterior, I will humor Sam's 80's bad-boy stateboarding rock-star wannabe goofing, but I draw the line at Mister, 'I've put too much gel in my hair and it hurts'.

• LuthienNightwolf

"Hey, you wanna hang out at the beach later? Do you have a bikini?" lol I get that line from him a lot.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

If I could add any response to the game, it would be, 'Yes, I do. I use it as a garrote.'

• Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honesty, Alex annoys me the most too. When I first began the game I planned on romancing him because I liked him best out of all the male candidates (this was based off of summaries I had read, not actually interacting with the characters) but then he opened his mouth and I got a full taste of how obnoxious his behavior was. I tried to put up with it because I figured he needed more development but it never really got better and I saw less and less my farmer ever being able to get with someone so immature. I don't hate him, certainly, but I don't think I can ever marry him in-game.

• LuthienNightwolf

I'm sure Haley and Alex are designed to push people's buttons. Looks like it works. lol

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I don't think it's fair to say she just want a hero to rescue her. I just think she's young and hasn't found her path in life yet. She has ambitions, but she clearly has fears and maybe feels a little lost in a little town out in the middle of nowhere.
                                      And the parents thing, it's a maturity thing, she'll grow out of it. The fact she still lives with them doesn't help it either.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Willy. As a vegan, I despise his fishing ways. Though I guess I'm a hypocrite because I also fish in-game too.

To a lesser extent, Marnie, but she seems to treat her animals fine...

From the marriage candidates, I've married 3 all on one save, never married on another save besides my year 4 one.

Haley - I first married her on Summer 25 Year 1 mainly because I wanted to see if it was possible to dance with someone during the year 1 Flower Dance, and I did it so I continued to raise her hearts. She started becoming a brat and complaining about how disorganized my house was while I put effort into decorating it, so I divorced her. She doesn't remember me anymore; I wiped her memory.

Leah - She was so nice at first and I loved her nature-esque lifestyle, but when I married her she became SO bratty and would just lie in bed all day and give me mean looks and the cold shoulder. Then she was suddenly all better when I gave her salad, so I feel she was using me. Divorced her too. She still is bitter about it.

Penny - Current wife. She seems most apt for raising children, which I have two (one from Leah and one from Haley). She also seems to be the one who would enjoy the theme of my house the most, as I have a library and archaeology room. Though she's starting to act up sometimes. Not sure if she'll last much longer.

Speaking of Penny, Elliott kissed me on a boat ride while I was married with children! That sicko! I rejected him and hit him with a slingshot until we remained at 0 hearts.

I think I learned my lesson. I'm not marrying anyone after my divorce with Penny; they become so rude and unappreciative with me.

blind3rdeye and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                        • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i like everyone to some extent, but if i had to pick one it'd be shane

i didn't care for him, but when he got more events i started to like him, and then just some crappy people i know IRL obsess over shane so he got ruined for me. he is an ass in the beginning and doesn't really seem to apologize for it unlike alex and even to an extent, haley. i can understand his appeal and i think he's a very relatable character (and his relationship with his chickens and also jas are great), but that doesn't really make me like him any more at his core

if i had to pick someone else it'd probably be pierre, but i don't really have as much against him as i do shane. pierre isn't a very deep character so the things i dislike don't really have much impact. abigail is such an overhyped character and i feel like the interesting things about her get overlooked, and leah is such a stereotype to me (being an artist, i see a lot of people in school who are basically leah and i do not get along with them WHOOPS) but i don't really care about them. like, there's no one i intentionally dislike except for shane