Is there a way to get Custom Maps?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Atri, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Atri

Atri Void-Bound Voyager

So, I've been searching the forums a bit and the only stuff I found on the possibility of Custom Maps existing was a post from 2013 talking about some Admin/Dev mode or something.
    So I decided it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to ask myself.

So, is there a way for me or my friends to share their world? As in, they build a course I need to get through and they just send me some file I install. Similar to Minecraft's saves. I know steam multiplayer allows this, but let's say I want to release a custom map for the public. Is there any way of doing this?

(From what I know starbound has one and only one BIG universe, everyone is placed in a different place so it seems it's different. And that's why I doubt that it would be possible to create custom maps. But still, I'm asking to see.)

-Thank you for any replies

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

It's actually pretty easy, although it would require messing around with some files. Simply build the course or dungeon anywhere you like (as long as it's on a permanent location, like a planet). Once you've done that, take note of the coordinates and location within the star system. Then use the file names as well as the date the file was updated to find out which file corresponds to your dungeon planet.

Now that you know which file is which, you can share that world with other players. Simply give them the coordinates and location of the planet, and they can find it in their own universe after placing the file in their universe folder.

Atri likes this.
  3. Atri

Atri Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks. But one question. What do you mean by: Then use the file names as well as the date the file was updated to find out which file corresponds to your dungeon planet. ? I don't get it. Could you please give a more ''For dummies'' explanation? Becouse when I go to storage and Universe I see a bunch of files and I don't know which ones to use. Or what to do with them.

4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Well, the link is a guide on what the files mean. One set of numbers is the x coordinates, another set of numbers is the y coordinates, and the other numbers represent it's location within the solar system. Using just the coordinates and the time / date of when you last built on that planet should be enough to figure out which file is the one you want.

Atri likes this.
  5. Atri

Atri Void-Bound Voyager

OK I tested some stuff and I see what you mean now. Every character created gets a System, World and Client file for him. So just copy those and dun. Right?

6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Well, no, I'm not sure where you found those files or what those are. In the "universe" folder, each file is a planet that you've visited. The name of the file is a bunch of numbers, and the post by Mollygos explains what the numbers mean.

However, I've recently learned that a level editor program called Tiled is available for free. It's the same tool used by Chucklefish to create the dungeons, missions, buildings, and basically everything else throughout Starbound. I don't know much about how to use it, but it seems like a great way to make a more official dungeon, if you're up for getting involved in modding.

7. Atri

Atri Void-Bound Voyager

Sure thing. Thank you very much for all the help you gave!