Is there a way to create new objects?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Tanpoponoko, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tanpoponoko

Tanpoponoko Big Damn Hero

I've only just dipped my toes in the water in the world of modding, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I'm wondering if there is a way to create new objects for the game, perhaps using CJB item spawner mod. I fell in love with the objects from TaintedWheat's magical wonderful farm life map: https://community.playstarbound.com...grandpas-memorial-make-your-farm-sick.115384/

However, the map won't work with my current farm, so I was curious to see if I could take certain objects from the png files (for example, the tree, the swing, the picnic blanket) and turn them into objects that can be placed on the farm map, like a craftable. Is this something that's possible? Any guidance would be highly appreciated :)

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Possible? Yes, Easy? No, How? A SMAPI mod

• anothersarah

anothersarah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You could use Custom Furniture* or Custom Farming. The former adds furniture for purchase, the latter machines for crafting. Your machines don't necessarily need to function as machines to be craftable, though -- see this fish bowl for example. You'll need your sprite sheet (in this case, the custom one that comes with the map should be fine) and to edit a json. The example mods should help figure it out.

Alternatively, you could edit your map directly and use the extra sprite sheet to spruce it up how you want ... or even just overwrite default sprites you've no interest in, if they were the same size.

*I think custom furniture placed on tables still turn into chairs, though. Also, to place outside you might need another mod to allow you place furniture on your farm.

LATER EDIT: Custom Farming seems the way to go if you're placing outside, as Custom Furniture will turn to chairs when modded to be placed outside.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
          HopeWasHere likes this.
        • captain kaltz+

captain kaltz+ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

okay, but "custom farming" is strict about sizes. i was gonna add small building (as decor thing) and this is that i've got
          [​IMG]

is there any way to change size of modded item like in "custom furniture"?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Unfortunately not, there is a game-engine limitation at work here that even SMAPI mods cannot mess with easily.

• captain kaltz+

captain kaltz+ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh, this is sad :( so map editing is the only option then...if only i wasn't so dumb to make it work
              well, thank you for answers, guys. i was interested about all of it too

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Send me your map and the stuff you're trying to add to it in a pm and I'll see if I can add it for you

• RudolfQian

RudolfQian Void-Bound Voyager

Can you add it for me?