Is the new boat a reference to Wind Waker or inspired by it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imrevned, Sep 9, 2013.

1. imrevned

imrevned Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am curious as to whether or not the new boat is a reference to Wind Waker or inspired? Or just completely coincidental in any similarities? :p

Just personally curious!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(would prefer a developer/someone who truly knows the answer to answer my question)

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I've seen this a bunch of times but... I really see like, no similarities at all.
      The two boats are completely different in size...
      Different amount of sails... and shape of the sails.
      Different colors...

The only thing I can think of is maybe the green symbol in the sail, but even the symbols are completely different with a slightly different hue.

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I really don't see any similarities. Except, well, they're both boats.

• RobitStudios

RobitStudios TAW Developer Developer

Hey!

Maybe FetalStar can chip-in on this, but from what I remember -- when we were re-designing the boat we were looking for a sort of toy-boat look. We looked at a lot of stuff like this: http://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/plastic-toy-boat.html We were going for a unique look.

But, honestly, the entire original game was inspired by Wind Waker. When I was coming up with the idea for this game I spent a lot of time thinking about my favourite games and what about those games I loved. What I loved most about WW was the true excitement of exploring and discovering a world by boat. Seeing an island off in the distance and knowing somewhere hidden on that island was a treasure or a dungeon. That was a big part of what drove the development of Treasure Adventure Game. I think the other biggest influencer for me was Super Mario Bros 2. That's still my favourite Mario game and if you look at the maps you'll see why: http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBrothers2/SuperMarioBros2Map2-3.html I like this game because there is no timer, you can explore every inch of the world and take your time. You are sometimes rewarded for your curiosity with secrets, short cuts or warps.

And there are easily a dozen other games that have inspired the game-play for Treasure Adventure World.

imrevned likes this.
          • imrevned

imrevned Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it!

WW is my favorite LoZ game and the boat in particular is almost ingrained in my mind from sailing around so much, I suppose I just made connections between the two boats that weren't there :p

• DotBeta

DotBeta Oxygen Tank

You know I was looking at some TAW pictures and noticed the boat is the same as the one I found in this Starbound picture of an ocean biome

[​IMG]

Will Starbound use the same boat design? Or is it just an early alpha shot. Either way it's awesome :rofl:

• fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

I believe it's just an easter egg!

• DotBeta

DotBeta Oxygen Tank

Woot Woot! :geek:

That's awesome, it's such a sweet design, happy to see it make a cameo in SB :)