Is the current beta stable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GreenWombat, Apr 22, 2017.

1. GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

I've been waiting on the next patch to start a new game but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any word on when it will be fully released. Is the current beta build stable enough to be worth just using that or do I just need to keep waiting?

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Current version number is 1.11. Its not in beta. If youre worried about bugs or crashes, ive personally experienced none in all my time playing.

• GreenWombat

The game does have an active beta which is currently at 1.2.25

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Version_History

oinkgamer likes this.
        • oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I've been playing on 1.2.25, and I haven't encountered any problems (except for pre-existing bugs). So it's certainly stable enough to play on.

That said though, there aren't a lot of gameplay differences in the newer version. The new language support is the main new thing.

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do you tell what version you are playing? I tried opening the game and never saw any version listed. The last update I remember I thought was 1.1 something or other.

Also I am definitely not computer savvy.

The best I could manage was to determine that the file said it was last modified July 8, 2016

• GreenWombat

On steam go to your games list, right click on the game in question, then select properties. On the properties page there will be a betas tab. If the game has a beta version then you can choose to opt in or not via the drop down menu under that tab. There is a beta access code function so I assume some games only let select people into the beta but in Stardew's case you don't need to enter a code and can just opt in. After that it will download the updates that are in beta and your game will be listed in your library with beta next to it.

• Fuzzyman

thank you

• Fuzzyman

I set it up to accept betas, closed it, restarted it. There was a new page that appeared prior to the saved games showing up. The new page simply said something like, "retrieving saved games." I played and it crashed when I went to bed. I don't know if that is coincidence, but it's never done that before

• GreenWombat

For the record you don't even need to opt in to the beta now. The 1.2 patch went live today. And I don't know why your game crashed. I ended up playing on the beta a bit yesterday and it was working just fine. Are you using any mods?

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I don't know about the crash. I've never had any crash in the game for any reason. But I can say that the "finding save games" screen only _looks_ new. Previously the game would just show an empty and unresponsive save games list for a few seconds while it loaded. Now it does the same thing, but shows the message "finding save games". Only the text is new. The process is the same.

• Fuzzyman

I assume that you have to start a new game for updates to apply?

• GreenWombat

Not usually. The games always allowed you to keep playing with your current save with only very specific features requiring a restart (multiple farms for example since which farm is a choice that has to be made a the start. Based on what is in this patch everything should just automatically be integrated into any current files.

Also apparently the crashing is something introduced in the 1.2 official patch as a lot of people have been experiencing it. Hopefully they will release a hotfix for that soon.

• littlecats

littlecats Void-Bound Voyager

After reading on steam and here about the problems with saves. I went ahead and started a new game. I haven't had any problems with it crashing or not loading the save.

I'm also glad I started a new game because the random fairy visit happened after not happening in new games. As well as many events starting sooner than in the last new games. Like getting the pet, Clint giving the blueprints, and Demetrius giving the cave choice.