Is it worth befriending everyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taariya, Apr 19, 2016.

1. taariya

taariya Void-Bound Voyager

Most of the singles are boring and/or annoying and the only ones I'm interested in are Sam, Sebastian, and Elliott. Is it worth befriending the other singles? Do you get anything out of it (like some townspeople give recipes and items if you befriend them) besides cutscenes?

• InquisitiveSoul

InquisitiveSoul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally think it is. Some of the cutscenes are endearing and moreover it gives a more focused perspective on what the person is like and you can see the genesis of their behaviors.

If you want to look at it from a more mechanical point of view, befriending them equates to achievements which translates into hats at the hatmouse.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

For getting the 5+ hearts achievements, yes. This is of course subjective, but I think that all the characters are pretty interesting in their own right so it's awesome to get to learn more about them. Their cutscenes are pretty interesting as well.

When it comes for gameplay buffs though, townspeople > singles. They send you stuff in the mail and you can get to 10 hearts without having anyone fall in love with you. I love all the bachelors/bachelorettes but it's so dang awkward to talk to them after a certain point if you've been married to someone else for like 2 years

Iffydust, XaviiKinz and jessrasic like this.
        • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think only the non-singles give you recipes and items in the mail when you befriend them.

I cannot recall 100% but I think there is an acheivement for getting most everyone past 5 hearts and I know once they reach 10 (8 for singles without bouquets) the friendship decay meter stops so you can then ignore everyone to your hearts content. But other than completionist mindset and curiosity to see the cut-scenes for villagers to watch them evolve...there isn't necessarily any major gain so there's no real harm if you want to just stick to the ones you like.

That said, I personally was delightfully surprised at how a couple of the villagers ended up not being quite as annoying (in my perspective) after learning about them more. One's milage may vary though.

RoastedCoconutz likes this.
          • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It's worth it if you think it is. Like everything else in the game, it's pretty much optional. Do you want to ignore raising animals? That's fine. Would you rather not get heavily into mining? Or ignore fishing? The only person who can tell you whether it's worthwhile is you.

Do you get anything tangible out of building friendships? Well...some people will occasionally send you gifts as your friendship grows. And there will be cutscenes. If you marry somebody, they will occasionally fix you breakfast, and water the crops--even when you have sprinklers, which leads me to think that there may be something seriously wrong with the drinking water. But other than that? Nothing tangible. It's not much challenge, and just fun--if you find it so. Again, you're the judge.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
              Iffydust and Avarwen like this.
            • Virande

Virande Void-Bound Voyager

yes for me, recipes, gifts, scene, more dialogues that may lead to secrets (this is the best part)... i'm also giving all singles bouquet so i can have all with 10 hearts...

• octoling

octoling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if you dont want to and arent interested, then no. if youre interested and you want recipes, then yes.

Gabaw and Reddestiny921 like this.
                • taariya

taariya Void-Bound Voyager

I guess I'll try befriending everyone instead of just reading the wiki about cutscenes to get the achievements. To be clear, I already have 10 hearts with Elliott (the game says he is my boyfriend) and plan to marry him after befriending the other singles. So if I get 10 hearts with all singles and see the romantic cutscenes, will it make them mad when I marry Elliott? Would he be jealous if I had more than one partner?

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I've never seen any of the singles get mad about such things, I dont think its scripted for them to be. The only time your spouse gets jealous is once they become your spouse (basically once they got the mermaid shell), anytime you gift another single there's a chance they get grumpity about it. But odds are if you are befriending everyone before then or getting them all to 10 hearts...their friendship meter stops decaying so there is no real need to give them gifts anymore unless you want to.

Basically: until you marry one of them, no one cares if you are gifting or pursuing other singles. Once you marry one, only that one gets snippy in the event you gift other singles.