Modding Help Is it currently possible to Mod a single pre-made planet into multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Koor, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Koor

Koor Space Spelunker

First off, let me explain the purpose.

I would like to create a solid metal brick (bricks, not ore/bars) planet that would be located as close to 0,0 as possible. The planet would contain no treasure, resources, and hopefully no wildlife. The purpose of the planet would be a clean slate planet that the community could build their housing on. It would be a deathstar like manufactured planet of a past civilization that now lies abandoned and open for player colonization.

Primary concerns:

1. Creating a planet that the server host can manually add to the server (is this possible?)
    2. Everyone who joins the server can visit the planet, optimally without having to install anything, otherwise all seeing the same thing after manually installing the mod themselves (i.e. everyone who installs it doesn't see their own untouched planet, and never see others).

Here was the suggestion I posted for this idea:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...s-for-multiplayer-communal-home-planet.45438/

2. oblivion5683

oblivion5683 Big Damn Hero

as far as i can tell. not legally

3. Soulweaver

Soulweaver Void-Bound Voyager

Not legally...Wut?

4. oblivion5683

you would need to break open the source code like the skull of a tiger, then, edit that source code heavily. like making fried tiger brains. both of these things are illegal

5. springly

springly Astral Cartographer

It looks like there's at least part of a system in place for 'quest planets', so maybe you could use that? Havent really looked deep into it, looks complicated. Alternatively add a biome, which would probably be way easier.

It might be illegal to edit the source but would the devs really care? They wanted the game to be super moddable, after all....

6. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

Changes to the biome system pretty much break everything.

7. oblivion5683

do they? ive seen a bunch of biome/planet adding mods.

8. Koor

Koor Space Spelunker

Hmm, I was hoping it would be something fairly simple to get done, but if the mod community doesn't think it's possible, that's bad.

9. oblivion5683

yeah sorry. unfortunately some things that seem very possible are impossible and some seemingly impossible things are fairly easy. think of it this way: anything that is game content, like items, objects, techs, and biomes ect is generally very easily moddable, whereas things that are backend, like planet generation, rendering, and other things i cant think of right now, are generally really hard/ impossible to mod

Koor likes this.
  10. Koor

Koor Space Spelunker

But isn't there a guy that's making a corrosion biome (or something like that?)

11. oblivion5683

yes, but thats different from making a planet spawn in a very particular place. biomes are content, planet placement is backend

Koor likes this.
  12. Koor

Koor Space Spelunker

Thanks for the info.

13. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

in theory if you could figure it out, you could do something similar to the following

find an existing planet
    find the coords in the planet file
    create your planet
    swap the coordinates from the existing planet into the custom planet file

and Presto you have your custom planet file, then swap that for the one on the server.

actually doing it is left as an exercise for the OP or anyone else who wants to try.

14. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

generating a specific planet in a specific maybe but adding planet types, biomes, dungeons, sub biomes are actually things that people have done.

15. oblivion5683

definetly. that post was originally written when not a great amount was known about modding. either that or it was just me who didnt know much about modding