1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Is Gore something that you can toggle?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by BlastRed, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I want to know if you can toggle gore in the game
    can you? (very first beta support thread*)

BrutorDragon likes this.
  2. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I fixed your post. Also don't think there will be any gore. Red pixel splatter at most. So no I don't think so.

3. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Well, the first couple of livestreams i saw gore, and now i just see the animals exploding after you kill them. wat.
    so i wondered if this was something toggable

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  4. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Was there any blood? I don't think any children are going to get traumatized by exploding monsters, even the news shows gore.

5. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Just alittle, and the monster pieces flew everywhere :p
    Then on the other hand, they magically explode with dust :p

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  6. Affero

Affero Contributor

Well that was just a temporary solution. Now we have an cool poof animation that plays when a monster die, followed by some splattering red blood pixels. I do agree with you that it's not gory enough, but gore isn't what Tiy is aiming for I think.

But it's a great idea to have gore toggable but I don't see it happening pre-beta.

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

We've had suggestions about more gore, and they recevied mixed reactions. The best bet would be to have some sort of gore option, with a nice high / low / off toggle. We'll have to see what they actually implement, though. They're still working on death animations last I heard.

8. Phantom-Wolf

Phantom-Wolf Big Damn Hero

Removing the poof animation is a start, the gore is not something crucial to the game, especially in these cartoonish graphics, but a good death animation/sequence is great for immersion, IMO.

9. Cathriana

Cathriana Phantasmal Quasar

Something like, depending on what body / legs they have they should have a different animation for death?

Flying that falls to the ground and then just disappears slowly? Or what do you mean like Terraria where everything just EXPLODES literally and stuff from them scatters around?

=x I'm curious as to what people mean here.

There are so many ways to do 'death' in games these days, it's clear however we can't have ragdolls or even 'dolls' for that matter in this game as it would fry up your CPU then in cost.

You can however get everything to just fall in a certain way or do a little spin and then slowly fayde like in Final fantasy, that would be the obvious choice in my opinion.

BrutorDragon and ImmortalFrog like this.
  10. Sen-Mithrarin

Sen-Mithrarin Industrial Terraformer

Or like in Zelda: A Link to the Past. I think a funny death animation would be better. Something unique but with a slight oldschool feeling to it.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  11. Sordrai

Sordrai Void-Bound Voyager

Make all their pixels crumble to the floor and lay in a pile with the loot on top :)

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  12. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Technically this isn't a beta support thread. More of a FAQ thread.
    Second I don't think so, it will have little more or less than the gore in Terraria.
    If they don't add it which I don't think they will it can be easily modded. Just replace blood particles with transparent particles, and if you want to be detailed replace the animals "exploding" with the death animation. :geek:

MDoubleM and ImmortalFrog like this.
  13. DBeslan

DBeslan Orbital Explorer

Damn it, now I'm thinking about the way things fall apart in TRON or Cube World, I LOVE that animation, not gorey but still weirdly rewarding for me, it just looks awesome.

I'm all for the High / Low / Off Gore settings, sure it's not considered gore like Serious Sam 3 style, but it's always good to have an option for people, and gore, however small/playful/non-threatening, is still a touchy subject for a lot of people. (In my opinion)

14. When I was watching one of the bartwes streams last week I noticed them (the developers) talking about limbs and other body parts falling off after death and things like chopping off an arm and being able to only use one arm in the process until you somehow fix that so I can only assume they're working on something more sophisticated than a simple "poof" cloud ;)

15. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I like gore :3

A toggle switch would be nice however.
    Some people, even in pixely things like this, might find it a bit too much for them >3>

MDoubleM, DBeslan and ImmortalFrog like this.
  16. Meh, gore isn't that important in games... Just a little blood would be enough..

Farathil and ImmortalFrog like this.
  17. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

I really liked the death animations in Cube World, they really helped integrate the NPCs in the game's universe as simple pixel pieces built together to take the shape of characters, just like animated dolls (which...they are, actually x) ). It was just as if the developers toyed with the player's mind, remembering him that he was the active part of a creation process more than a game ! I love that !

Like : "hey, you see ? a credible universe, with landscapes and all...but wait, it's all rubber and patchwork, y'know :D...not to break your immersion or anything huh *trollface* "

DBeslan and ImmortalFrog like this.
  18. Zephiron

...Don't you have thumb aches now, giving all these 'likes', Mr Frogman ? xP

19. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I use my index finger. :lod:

All this liking is just childsplay. I like about 4 and sometimes 10 pages a day on a single thread.

Ἄνουβις likes this.
  20. Zephiron

Actually I was referring to the "Thumbs up" thing x). No problem anyways lol

ImmortalFrog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.